A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,025
Currently Running With Scissors:
469 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 36
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Record bowls, easiest gift ever!  (Read 101976 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , bowl  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dcjitterbug
« Reply #210 on: December 17, 2004 02:01:03 PM »

Nice packaging.  It's one of the most underrated facets of giving some one a mix cd. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ex-Boyfriend... Add to Your Collection
http://www.ex-boyfriendcollection.com
Treasure Cat
« Reply #211 on: December 17, 2004 02:21:19 PM »

Great gifts!  Your packaging makes the mixed CD gift uber-cool Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
safety_scissors
« Reply #212 on: December 19, 2004 07:40:42 AM »

I would love a tutorial. I think I've got the idea but im not sure what kind of bowl can go in the oven, and if they can be rounded like a bowl instead of wiggly and wavey
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RCKFELLA
Tutorial Contributor

there's no substitute for time

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: December 19, 2004 03:50:59 PM »

oh wow! r u kidding! that's what i gave to my friends for xmas too!!!! i got it off http://www.ohmystars.net/craft/index.htm. they're sooooo fun to make! but there is room for error, just reheat it and then shape it with ur hands. that's what i did because the first couple didn't come out right. it's not like a now or never thing. n e wayz, when they opened up their presents at school, everyone looked at them like, WHAT IS THAT?! and when we told them they'd be like, oh cool!! they're super duperly greatly awesome gifts!!! props on urs, i've only tried the third technique but i'll defenitly try the rest!

<3
karen
« Last Edit: December 19, 2004 03:53:21 PM by RCKFELLA » THIS ROCKS   Logged

geetargeek

Will knit for food.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #214 on: December 27, 2004 11:23:50 AM »

Hey everyone! I canceled my internet service and forgot that I had the pics hosted with them. Opps! Thanks to the person who emailed me and pointed out the missing pics to me. Luckily I had them backed up on my computer, and I fixed all the links this morning.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look!  I'm on the internets!:
http://quetaknits.wordpress.com/ - My knit/crochet blog!
http://geetargeek.livejournal.com/ - Friends-only, so add me!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/geetargeek/ - eye candy!
http://www.ravelry.com/people/geetargeek - Ravelry!
AshGav
Dance like no ones watching

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 05, 2005 11:58:15 PM »

oh my gosh i love this project! I made 3 last night and it was fun and my parents responses were just as fun they were funny my mom ignored me she's used to my random projects she just told me not to ruin her bowl so i covered everything in foil and it worked soooo well! My dad just kept asking why like i needed a reason haha Impressed the parents and my super creative friend came over tonight and they even impressed him thats a big deal! Must go to thrift store and buy more records!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm Straight NOT Narrow
Rainbows make me happy
HardCandy
« Reply #216 on: January 08, 2005 07:29:02 PM »

omg i have the exact same record as you, and i did the exact same thing with it!!!!! thats so weird omg omg omg ^__^
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tinybits
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafty Monster Strikes Back

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 12, 2005 01:28:33 AM »

So I don't have an oven and didn't want to wait till to go use my mom's, I saw the thread that say it is possible to use gas stove to heat and shape. I just tried out with an useless 45 (LPs are so nice to melt down  Roll Eyes )

It turned nice, but the hole part fell off and now there is a big hole instead of a smaller one.. I tried to shape it as push it in a bowl but I should definetely try the otherwise and use bottom..

1. Do not put it too low, it starts to melt right away and even burns the label
2. be quick, it cools so fast

I will try to reshape it with boiling water and post the results..

EDITED TO POST WATER BOILING RESULTS

1.First boil enough water to cover your bowl,
2.then put the bowl inside of a large bowl (the one like u use to wash dishes) and place the record on top of it.. you will push to record inside of the bowl so dont turn the bowl upside down...
3.when the water boil to hot start to pour it when it starts to melt take a smaller bowl (I use the wooden garlic masher bowl-dont know the english term.. lol) and push the record inside while u continue to pour hot water.. 4.dont push too hard it will be easier when you pour hot water enough...
5.when it get its shape take out the record and let it dry..
6.Remember, if you do not want to harm the label do not use this method, it will gonna wash away...

with hot water method shape is better than the heat above gas method..  Cheesy

good luck.. Wink

« Last Edit: January 12, 2005 02:10:20 AM by tinybits » THIS ROCKS   Logged

DelawareWolf

Yes, this is me. Yes, I am gay and Yes I am single

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 23, 2005 07:21:11 PM »

I was just wondering if you had some ideas on varnishing the inside of the bowl so that the label wouldn't get all yucky if I wanted to wipe it clean after use.  I've never varnished anything...but I think that is the word I'm looking for.  Any ideas on what I'll need to do this?

Oh and does the record in the oven make the house stinky? Lips sealed

You might want to try some Varathane put out by the Flecto paint company. I don't know if it'll work on the vinal <SP?> of the record but, it'd be worth a try. I know that varathane works on polimer clay and can be used to adhere thing peices to polimer clay to things like wood and cardboard to get a mosiac effect. I think the next time I have some money and the time, I'll hit my local good will and ty to get some old records and try this. I'll try the Varathane to varnish the inside and post my resalts on here
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Skittles, Taste the Rainbow
DelawareWolf

Yes, this is me. Yes, I am gay and Yes I am single

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 23, 2005 07:27:18 PM »

OoOoO...isn't that nifty!

It might be neat to take a small record and turn it into a bowl for dip, and use the sleeve to make a box for the chips!...of course...you would probably have to use a bigger sleeve..

-Ari

Oh what a nifty idea. Hey, now that we have an idea for what to do with old records, how about what to do with those nifty old cardboard  album covers. I thike Ari is on to somthing and I have another idea, how about using the cardboard cover to emblish a duct tape totebag or messanger bag?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Skittles, Taste the Rainbow
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 36 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Eat Nigiri
How to Use Chopsticks
Cooking Tuna
Soy Ginger Sauce Recipe
Thai Cream Sauce Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes
Meatless Monday: No Meat Lasagna

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...