A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,612
Currently Running With Scissors:
733 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 36
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Record bowls, easiest gift ever!  (Read 101065 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , bowl  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

littleone1098

Let them eat cake she said

View Profile WWW
« Reply #200 on: November 10, 2004 08:45:46 AM »

yeah, those are really easy to make! check out this tutorial... http://www.ohmystars.net/craft/index.htm
I think, since this thread HAS the instructions for making them, that she was commenting on how the different colors looked and stuff....that's what I thought anyways
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Every morning when I wake up I experince an exquisite joythe joy of being Salvador Daland I ask myself in rapture, What wonderful things this Salvador Dal is going to accomplish today?" -The one and only
Lindy B
« Reply #201 on: November 15, 2004 09:53:47 AM »

I cannot wait to see the purse!!! I cut after reheating several times.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
prettyinskulls

i gave my heart to rock n roll

View Profile WWW
« Reply #202 on: November 20, 2004 11:38:32 PM »

so these record bowls dont involve any horrible fumes like the soldier toys bowl? i have a 2 month old living here so im just wondering
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sarahdotcom

I'm not a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #203 on: November 21, 2004 01:14:10 AM »

It is a bit smelly - I'm not sure if I'd try it in a cramped apartment, especially not with a baby around.  Unless you have *really* good ventilation.  I haven't tried the soldier bowl but suspect that the fumes are much less with the record bowl.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my blog, fingers and toes
amareluna
Saponification Expert

~It is we who make our destiny, not the stars~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #204 on: November 21, 2004 04:02:16 AM »

I wouldn't recommend doing the soldier bowl inside- small child or not! It smells a lot like you are trying to microwave a tire.  Shocked

As for the fumes with the record bowls- I just turn the vent fan on and open the kitchen window, and you can't even tell there are fumes.

I think as long as the baby isn't in the room or immediate vacinity you'd be fine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Saponifier For Serious Soap Makers! | Acts of Creativity My Blog
gingerwings
« Reply #205 on: November 28, 2004 06:46:51 AM »

hot glue..and if you take the label off of one side of the record (or if like mine it didnt have a label on one side) you can eat off of it!!  Amazing!  Lol..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rottifan4
« Reply #206 on: December 06, 2004 09:04:16 AM »

Well,I just tried making the cd bowl. First I tried boiling it...but got bored waiting. Then, I tried baking it. Had it in for 6 minutes but when I opened the door I saw the bubbles and knew I was in trouble. It broke. Now, I have a broken cd, no bowl, and my mother is looking at me strangely, warning me I better not break her stuff. But I told her, don't worry mom, I will melt you new stuff!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
greenevie
« Reply #207 on: December 16, 2004 09:03:17 AM »

I don't have the pictures with me right now-- I'll post them when I'm all done with my project, but I bought some of the smaller records and melted them down a bit. They didn't melt down to a bowl-shape right away, and I decided that I liked the way they looked kind of flowery with the wavy edges and the flat middle. I've glued a picture to the middle of one, so now it's like a frame. This sounds ridiculous just typing it out -- post with pictures/instructions will come soon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GreatBallofFire
« Reply #208 on: December 16, 2004 11:09:40 AM »

I love these so much! Last summer I found a set of 15 records of the 500 best love songs of all times (gag gag gag) at the local goodwill for 2.50 So, I brought them home and made them into bowls and filled them full of bulk candy and gave them to people for graduation gifts. Everyone LOVED them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out the Knitting Journal
www.sticksnloans.bl ogger.com
LornaSaysThis

Best friends means I'll pull the tigger...

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: December 17, 2004 12:38:40 PM »

I decided to make a friend a mixed cd for Christmas and package it some what like the cd I got from the mixed cd exchange cause I thought the way she made it was too rad. Heres mine.

I wrapped it in hemp and tagged it instead of wrapping it with paper or whatever, I just like the way it looks too much to cover it up.

And heres the record bowls Ive been making for people for Christmas, I think Im going to fill them with candy, cds, socks, ect, just nick nacks.

Thanks and I appreciate all comments!

You asked, so here it is-

(you have to do everything as quick as you can without screwing up once you get it out of the oven because it starts hardening immediately.)

Okay, this is what you need. Well of course, you need an oven too and an oven mitt. (preheat oven to 250)

I started this one by putting it on top of the bowl, you can use the bottom though to get a more perfect shape.

This is it after about 3 minutes in the oven.

Whenever it had been in for 5 minutes, I took it out and flipped it over another bowl like the one I was using to heat it on, so it would take the shape of the bowl, then stuck another bowl on top of it so it would be the exact shape of the bowls but with the crinkly wavy edges. (I would have just put it on top of the bowl while I was baking it but you dont get wavy edges that way.) ( the tomatoes are for added pressure)

This is how it turned out. (only takes 2 or 3 minutes to cool)

_

As I said, when you put it on top of the bowl to bake it, it doesnt crinkle, it just folds into 4 sections. (keep for 5 minutes in oven)

After 3 minutes in the oven.

done.

(this is how that one turns out if you sandwich it between 2 bowls once its out of the oven)

-

On this one, I put on the top then when it was done baking (5 minutes) I took a wooden spoon and pressed in the middle of it to form it like this.

-

I also made a bowl out of a plate I picked up at the dollar tree. (for my grandparents as x-mas presents)

I used those little records (45s?) to make little gift things for xmas for my co workers at goodwill. (Im going to put green saran wrap and ribbon on um.)

Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2004 11:53:31 AM by LornaSaysThis » THIS ROCKS   Logged

A hand moves in the dark to a zipper...
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 36 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Classically Oil Paint - Part 1
Classical Oil Painting Lesson
Painting Lesson - Beautiful Grey
How to Paint Peaches
How to Paint the Ocean
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...