A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,571
Currently Running With Scissors:
597 Guests and 44 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Paper Bag Corset (Piccy pudgy!)  (Read 8148 times)
Tags for this thread: corset  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Scarlet_Grace
« on: May 25, 2009 08:18:16 PM »

That's right, out of paper.

I'm currently applying for jobs all around town, and one of those was at my favorite ice cream shop called Amy's Ice Cream. Originating in Austin (where I live), it's certainly got that funky, Austin vibe. To go along with the vibe, you need the right people, right? How do we get those people? Give them a paper bag for a job application, of course!!

The rules are pretty simple. You can do what ever you want to the bag as long as you bring at least a part of it back in some way and include your name and contact info.

I decided that I was going to make something ridiculous with my bag. I knew it had to be artistic, unique and say something about me, but what? I eventually settled on clothing. I had made a dress out of newspaper for a design project at one time, so why not make something even more fun?   When I got home, I set to work on figuring out what I wanted to do. I originally wanted to use red in my color scheming, but I was out of red dye. Teal/mint green was my second choice! I hand dyed thick cotton string and about a million coffee filters (I've still got some that I didn't use). I cut double of each pattern piece to keep it from being transparent, then sewed it up. The "grommets" in back for lacing up were made with a hole-punch and hot glue to reenforce the holes.  I made some different flowers (including one for a hair pin) by cutting 2 coffee filters (each a different way) then folding and scrunching them together. The frills on the top and bottom of the corset were made by pleating fourths of a coffee filter.

Now that you're sick of reading my boring story, here are the pictures!!

With the giant fruits/veggies at Central Market (the artichoke is my fave!)

I'm clearly very excited about my victory over the paper corset.

Thanks for looking! Any comments/critiques/questions are welcomed!!

{EDIT:} Thanks so much for the kind words, everyone! Here are some pictures I had taken with my webcam during the construction, sorry they're so low quality, but I had a request for a lace up and felt I should oblige.

The back. Please ignore the sports bra... I was trying it on to make sure the laces were long enough.

Here's a closer shot of one of the flowers. I think I might make more and use them for decorations on presents or something... Maybe it'll be my resident's Door Decorations when I start my resident assistant job in August! lol!

« Last Edit: May 27, 2009 12:21:42 AM by Scarlet_Grace - Reason: In-Progress shots » THIS ROCKS   Logged
zynamon
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009 08:28:38 PM »

THIS. IS. AMAZING.

There is no other way to put how much I love this... I hit "this rocks" and now must go pick my jaw up from the floor.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HelloMel213
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009 08:36:47 PM »

Very cool.
Let us know if you get the job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A life without Love is like a year without Summer.
roccstarr75
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009 08:38:57 PM »

This is so cool!  Buuuuuuuuttttt.... Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see any shots of the lace-up detail! *wishes*  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pjhamel
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009 08:47:07 PM »

that is freakin' amazing. Great job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I will happily do personal swaps for beads, buttons, and fat quarters!

My Pinterest
CraftyAggie
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009 08:55:15 PM »

Awesome job! I 'm from Austin too, so I know what you mean about the Austin vibe Smiley

Good luck with getting the job, I had a friend who worked at Amy's and he absolutely loved it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lique
My Motto: If you can't find it, buy another one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009 09:11:35 PM »

Cool. I'm in Austin too. I am pretty sure you will get the job with that cool creation. My niece worked for Amy's for years when she lived here before moving to New York  to model. In fact she use to deliver Amy's ice cream to the movie sets and one time they needed an extra "amazon" girl and they asked her to be in the movie. If you check out Amy's website my niece is the girl kneeling down up front in the pirate hat.  Cheesy

Maybe if you work for Amy's great things will come for you too. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

katiebug
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009 11:56:58 PM »

It turned out amazing Smiley Good luck with the job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Hide not your talents, they for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?" -Ben Franklin

http://lemonsicle.blogspot.com/
Stars_Fire_17
Drop the Yarn and no one gets hurt!

Kitten

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009 12:40:34 AM »

Well thats really fun and cute Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kit

"Stars, hide your fires, Let not light see my black and deep desires"
Angry Angel
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009 01:10:23 AM »

That is so cool! I was just flicking through the photos without reading the text and I was thinking what a pretty top it was, maybe the fabric was a little stiff, I had no idea it was paper! Great job, and I hope you get the job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Christy Haubegger: The Feminist Badge
Christy Haubegger: Latinas in the Mastheads
Christy Haubegger: Typos
Christy Haubegger: Adopted by a Tall Blond Family
Christy Haubegger: Founder, Latina Magazine
Latest Blog Articles
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...