A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,087
Currently Running With Scissors:
426 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crayonosaurus tutorial  (Read 11502 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

grimmlynn

I dare you to make less sense.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2009 09:23:32 AM »

I love that!  What a great idea (just in time for summer, too)! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. -Dr. Seuss

Use coupon code CRAFTSTERFRIEND and receive a 10% discount at my etsy shop:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/grimmlynn
KasmiraGypsy
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2009 05:38:23 PM »

I got a few requests for a tut on how I made the Crayonosauruss  for Ivan.

Here it is!
I pulled out ye ol box o crayon and found a butt load of orange crayons. Seems no one in our house is fond of orange. This is pic heavy so i made a new topic for it rather then joining it with my original post.

1. Pre heat oven to 300 F

2. Pick out crayons. For this dino i went with shades of oragne but you could just do a mix or even one color if you had enough. I think i used 5 crayons this time.

3. Peel off wrapper and break crayon (if its a full one) into about 5 small pieces.

4. Put into pan. (i don't use a spray  or oil of any kind on mine just a non stick muffin pan)

5. Put in oven and start timer for 5 min. Check crayon after the timer goes off, if crayon is still solid (in center most often) let bake checking every 2 min. Take out when crayons are fully melted. (sometimes if there is a center in the middle of my pan that seems to not want to melt i just leave it. This happened once and the "solid" part sank into the middle and you couldnt even tell that it didnt fully melt)

6. Set tray on level heat safe surface. (i used an upside down baking sheet.) Let crayons cool. You can leave them on counter until they have cooled completely. I leave them out for about 10 min long enough for them to harden on the top (this keeps the colors from mixing into an ugly muck color on the backs of the crayons) and the pan to cool. Then move the crayons still on the cookie sheet into the fridge.

When they are completely cool and have pulled away from the edges of the pan you can take them out.

I just turn the pan upside down and drop it a few times on the counter top on a paper towel. If they don't come right out heat the bottom of the pan a bit with hot water then drop it a few more times and they should come out.

Good luck and have fun! My kids love picking out the colors and peeling/breaking up the crayons. Plus its a great way to extend that 120 count box of crayons.
back of crayon
I would love to see pics if anyone makes any.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009 07:43:10 PM by KasmiraGypsy » THIS ROCKS   Logged

tcha345
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2009 05:44:51 PM »

OH man! that is the COOLEST!!!! I want dino crayons. Smiley I don't care WHAT color they are! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm awesome. Smiley

I have vintage yarn that I would like to give to someone! Please send a message if you'd like to obtain it.  I have lots!
twilightmiracle
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2009 06:21:21 PM »

I love that!  Where did you get the pan, I've never seen anything like that?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyAggie
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2009 06:37:43 PM »

These are so cool! I wish I had kids to make them for, I guess I will just have to make them more my little cousins.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shadowbox

You can catch me cutting paper snow flakes in hell

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2009 06:37:50 PM »

I would love an orange stego crayon.
Or a stego muffin.

But I am deffinently trying this my six year old brother and nephew's birthday.
We're not imbred. I just happen to have a six year old brother AND a six year old nephew.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cephalopod Swap! - Organizing - Sent!

Gnome Swap - Crafting! - Sent

One Tiny Mustache Swap - Organizing - Sent 1/2

I am looking to do some personal swaps, I need wall art and lots of it!
iloveoctopus
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2009 06:54:35 PM »

oh man, i thought the star ones i made were cool. you have out cooled me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2009 07:21:36 PM »

The pan's from Target.  They also have butterfly ones.  Great way to use the pan! I thought about getting one, but didn't really have a purpose for it.  Now the temptation will be much stronger!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
roccstarr75
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2009 07:52:11 PM »

That's really pretty.  You did a good job of not getting the colors all murky.  About getting them out, though, in my expeience with working with candles, when they don't want to pop right out, DON'T put them in warm water.  Instead stick the pan in the freezer.  The wax shrinks when it cools and it will literally pop out on its own.  This works awesome for getting old melted candles out of containers you want to reuse, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mrsatama
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2009 08:50:10 PM »

I've tried this before with a Cast iron animal "pan" i got. ( I think it was originally made for chocolate..)it weights a ton and is really old, i think the pan is to indetailed though since none of the crayons came out without getting stuck in the tiny detail parts. Eather that or ive just been doing somthing wrong Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...