A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 296,583
Currently Running With Scissors:
732 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Thrift store mirror makeover + jewelry holders made from dollar store frames  (Read 23126 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

warheart

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock!

View Profile
« on: May 25, 2009 04:46:30 PM »

I needed a mirror to go on top of my dresser so I went thrifting this weekend and found a HUGE mirror for $25. I was so happy with the shape and frame but not thrilled with the scratches on the ugly, faded turquoise paint. Sooo instead of painting it (I have bad luck with painting furniture, don't ask) I decided to decoupage it with a really pretty scrapbook paper. I also had the idea to make jewelery holders out of these cheap, black plastic dollar store frames that I've had for a while. It all just came together once I got the scrapbook paper because it was 2 sided and I loved both patterns. The nifty thing about the jewelry holders is that I can change out the paper whenever I want!

This is the before pic for the mirror. I glued one piece of paper down before I realized OH CRAP I should document this haha. I cut the paper into 4 1/2 inch wide strips and glued it down using mod podge. I was going to then spray a clear, shiny coat over this (using Triple Thick glaze spray that you can see in the mirror of this pic) but I chose to just mod podge again over the top of the paper once everything was covered up.

Sorry for the quality of this photo, I don't know what happened there. These are the materials I used for the photo frames: scrapbook paper, E6000 glue (would not use this again for this application btw because the knobs fell off a couple times before I finally got them to stay), frames from the dollar store and some old brushed steel knobs that I salvaged from a chest that was thrown out a long time ago. I knew they would come in handy.

Finished jewelery holders. I have an earring holder already but I had nothing for my necklaces or bracelets. Ta da! I put the scrapbook paper in the frames, glued on the knobs and stuck em to the wall. This project cost me under $15 for everything since I had the knobs on hand. Probably under $10 but I can't rememher how much the glue was for sure.

Close up of the paper & knobs

Finished products together.

Where I got stuff:
The mirror: thrift store
The frames: dollar store
The paper and glue: Michael's
Just in case anyone asks.. the earring tree in the last photo: Icing by Claire's in the clearance bin
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009 01:16:33 PM by warheart » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yarn is my craft drug of choice
KSwede

I can resist everything except temptation.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009 01:32:27 AM »

I love this! I'm considering going garage sale hunting for a big mirror now! I totally hit This Rocks! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
warheart

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009 11:26:09 AM »

Thank you! It is much cheaper and easier (in my opinion) than sanding, priming & painting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yardenxanthe
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009 08:55:38 PM »

It's awesome! I love the drawer pulls. When you were gluing them on with the E-6000, was the frame laying down flat? It takes awhile for it to dry, but it seems like it would be amazing once it actually dries...

I'll post about this at Dollar Store Crafts!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

warheart

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009 05:14:15 PM »

Yardenxanthe -Yes they were laying down flat but this was my first time using the glue and I had no idea how long it took to dry. They are doing great now with LOTS of bracelets and necklaces hanging on them since last weekend. No more knob suicide jumps lol. I think I just had to get used to E-6000 and how to use it. Thanks so much for taking the time to comment and email. Your site rocks and I check it every day!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yardenxanthe
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009 05:22:12 PM »

Thanks for the reply!! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shelayla82
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009 09:36:07 AM »

I love the idea for the jewelry holders.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
yardenxanthe
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009 03:00:08 PM »

I'm linking this at Threadbanger's blog today!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

halfshellie
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011 12:16:00 PM »

Hi,

I luv this craft.  I just moved into a new apartment and needed and inexpensive way to update my mirror and display my necklaces close to the mirror.  I have all the items except the knobs so it gives me a good reason to go garage saleing. 

It also makes the room look like it was custom decorated, well I only did the mirror so far but I can already tell this project is just the right touch.  I feel like I just got a great deal at Neiman Marcus!!!!Thanks again.

Michele in NJ

Cool Cool Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ambientsoul
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2011 11:05:40 PM »

Beautiful, beautiful job! I LOVE the jewelery holder frames...I'm definitely going to have to make some of my own! Great ideas!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sautéed Collard Greens Recipe
How To Make Chili With A Chocolate Twist
How To Make A Valentine’s Day Dinner With Aphrodisiacs
Your Next 21 Meals Planned by Chef Ryan Scott
How to Make Mouthwatering Ricotta Pancakes
Latest Blog Articles
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls
Meatless Monday: Texas Pecan Pesto

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...