A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 301,542
Currently Running With Scissors:
416 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: US Map Quilt - A.K.A Another Half Baked Notion I Need Help Thinking Through  (Read 1053 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

KatherineEmma
« on: May 25, 2009 09:58:16 AM »

During a recent roadtrip out west, I became obsessed with the idea making a map of the US in quilt form and attached all the little patches I collected on my travels to it.

Now, there are a couple of ways I can think of to do it and I'm looking for some input from you folks to see if I can settle on one direction and get going.

I could applique each state by hand (because of the fiddly state borders) to the ocean coloured backing and then apply the patches on top, in their correct location on the map. The number of patches I have for Utah alone would mean the states would need to be HUGE and having already spent two years hand quilting a king size quilt (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=197185.0) without finishing, it's a big undertaking. Maybe too big.

I could make all the states smaller and then just apply the patches as a border around the edge of the quilt. Kinda loses some of the charm of being able to see where all the places are though. Maybe get round this with some sort of key or some arrows?

I could fuse the states (I want each one to be a different colour - the pastels you see in a 1960s world atlas) onto the backing, eliminating the need for a lot of fussy applique work. But, if I want to embroider state names and landmarks on also, is the extra gooey thickness going to make that difficult?

I could make the states out of felt, so not fraying, no applique and no fusing, and then it could even eliminate the need for a backing - making the quilt a funky shape rather than the traditional rectangle. Would it be ridiculously heavy?

Just some ideas....if anyone has any thoughts on the best method or things I've failed to take into account, I'd love to hear about it!

« Last Edit: May 25, 2009 10:10:20 AM by KatherineEmma » THIS ROCKS   Logged

anaximander
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009 10:10:24 AM »

I could applique each state by hand (because of the fiddly state borders) to the ocean coloured backing and then apply the patches on top, in their correct location on the map. The number of patches I have for Utah alone would mean the states would need to be HUGE and having already spent two years hand quilting a king size quilt without finishing, it's a big undertaking. Maybe too big.

Well.... yeah, I kind of agree with you there.

I could make all the states smaller and then just apply the patches as a border around the edge of the quilt. Kinda loses some of the charm of being able to see where all the places are though. Maybe get round this with some sort of key or some arrows?

I could fuse the states (I want each one to be a different colour - the pastels you see in a 1960s world atlas) onto the backing, eliminating the need for a lot of fussy applique work. But, if I want to embroider state names and landmarks on also, is the extra gooey thickness going to make that difficult?
Well, if you're doing each state in a different colour, you could do a background piece for each patch that matches the colour of the state, or a border piece. It would act like a key that way, but not a really heavily obvious one. I don't think the stickiness would be a problem at all, but you are still going to need to stitch & secure around each one.

I could make the states out of felt, so not fraying, no applique and no fusing, and then it could even eliminate the need for a backing - making the quilt a funky shape rather than the traditional rectangle. Would it be ridiculously heavy?
I've never used felt in a quilt, ever, so I have no idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KatherineEmma
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009 11:42:00 AM »

Well, if you're doing each state in a different colour, you could do a background piece for each patch that matches the colour of the state, or a border piece. It would act like a key that way, but not a really heavily obvious one.

That's a great idea!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sarahj2001
Knitting Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009 12:23:18 PM »

I love the idea of this.  Everytime I go fabric shopping lately I've been finding great US States fabric....I keep seeing and thinking what I can do with that. 

I like the idea of a big quilt with the patches inside each state.  I'm not sure what the best method would be for making each state...probably just applique each state by hand. 

I've been insterested in starting a second round of this swap: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=304768.0

It would be where we make blocks for each of the states then share our blocks.  Maybe you would be interested in that?  Not really as fun as what you have in mind but maybe in addition. Smiley

Anyways, I'd love to see your finished quilt.  I'm going to keep thinking about this and if I have any other ideas I'll be back Smiley  I think I want to do something similar to this someday too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

keeperrox
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009 03:51:40 PM »

I love this idea!  I think I might have to borrow it at some point.  As I was reading your post, I was thinking, "What about putting the patches around the border," and I see that's already been mentioned.  That way, smaller states, like New Jersey, Rhode Island, Deleware, etc. can still be small, and larger states, like Texas, California, Montana, etc. won't have to be enormous.  I will love to see the final product on this one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Rock The Sheer Runway Look
Sarah Jessica Parker Mixes Prints Like a Pro With Checks and Polka Dots
Street Chic: Winter 2013 London Fashion Trends
Oscar Party Fashion: Jennifer Lawrence and Nina Dobrev Celebrate in Style
2013 Oscars Fashion
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Falafel without Frying
@Home This Weekend: Decorative Bulletin Board
Rain, rain, you don't have to go away...

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...