A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 304,869
Currently Running With Scissors:
507 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: little girls pinafore tutorial  (Read 7626 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cahoonjessica
« on: May 25, 2009 07:55:24 AM »

Three coordinating fabrics create a patchwork feel. It will look adorable layered over a dress, or jeans and a t-shirt...

Pick 3 coordinating fabrics.

For a child 1-3 years, cut:
- skirt - 16 1/2" X 25 1/2" (multi-colored floral)
- front of sash (2) - 2" X 25" (pink and white dots)
- back of sash (2) - 2" X 25" (solid pink)
- straps (4) - 2 1/2" X 12" (pink and white dots)  * The length of the straps have been changed as it is being tested.  I'll make another one this weekend to test this new length.
- optional pocket - 3" X 3" (solid pink)

For a child 4-6 years, cut:
- skirt - 19 1/2" X 28 1/2" (multi-colored floral)
- front of sash (2) - 2" X 25" (pink and white dots)
- back of sash (2) - 2" X 25" (solid pink)
- straps (4) - 2 1/2" X 14" (pink and white dots)  * Ditto on the straps.
- optional pocket - 5" X 5" (solid pink)

Lay large piece of multi-colored floral fabric face down on ironing board. Turn short sides under 1/4 inch and press flat; sew.

Fold in another three inches of fabric in the same direction and press flat. Make sure all layers are even so it looks clean from the front when you go to stitch the layers together.

Stitch down the fold, 7/8 inch from the bottom edge, to create the bottom edge of the sash casing.

Use a yardstick and a disappearing ink pen to draw a line across piece of fabric, 1 inch from the top edge.

Stitch along this line to create the top edge of the sash casing.

Gather the four strips you cut for the sash - two from the pink and white dots fabric and two from the solid pink fabric (shown in photo). Sew like fabrics together at the short ends to create two long strips.

Fold all raw edges (sides and ends) under 1/4 inch; press.

Pin the strips together, right sides out.

Stitch around all sides, 7/8 inch from the edge.

I prefer the above method as it creates a crisper crease along the edge. You may instead try this alternate method - Pin strips together wrong side out. Stitch around three sides leaving one of the short ends open. Using a tweezers to slowly pull the fabric out of the open end, turn the strip right side out. Press sash flat and sew around all four sides 1/4 inch from the edge.

Attach a safety pin to to one end of the sash. Use the pin to help you inch the sash through the casing.

Gather the two strips you cut for the shoulder straps. Fold each in half lengthwise; press. Sew all around 1/4 inch from the raw edges, leaving one of the short ends open. Using a tweezers to slowly pull the fabric out of the open end, turn the strip right side out. Press strap. Sew around all four sides 1/4 inch from the edge. Cut each strap into two equal sections.

Turn the pinafore face-down on a flat surface. At the top, mark the center with a disappearing ink pen. Place one strap two inches to the left of the center, and the other strap two inches to the right of the center. Pin end of strap down about one inch from the top edge. Sew across bottom of straps to secure to body.

Pin the other two straps one inch from each side of the outer edges of the body. You now have straps that you can tie at the shoulder for complete adjustability.

Turn under bottom of skirt 1/4 inch and press; sew. Fold pocket fabric under 1/4 inch on three sides; press. Fold under 1/2 inch at top of pocket; press.

Sew decorative rickrack along the top edge of the pocket (optional). Sew the pocket onto the front of the pinafore where desired.

Embellish with buttons, fabric yo-yo's, flowers, etc. if desired.

All done!!

« Last Edit: May 27, 2009 08:52:05 PM by cahoonjessica » THIS ROCKS   Logged

CharCharGabor
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009 08:57:12 AM »

That's gorgeous  Smiley Think I'll give it a try once I get my other projects out of the way!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Why oh why does the bobbin always run out at the very end??
OnePinkHippo
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009 09:21:40 AM »

Adorable! I want one in my size.  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wippelgem
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009 09:33:44 AM »

Tomorrow I'm going to the market for some fabric and I'm gonna make one!!!!!!!!

It's super!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cahoonjessica
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009 06:35:44 PM »

Let me know how the sizing goes for anyone who makes one of these.  I made a few of them and adjusted as I went, but still not sure if I got the sizing just right.  The goal is to get the sizing right so the sash can be cinched through the casing to create some ruffles (like in the first photo).  The pinafores in the last photo are a bit too big I think to create the effect I was going after.  To fix this, a stitch line could be done at the opening at each end of the casing catching both the body of the pinafore and the sash so it holds the ruffles in place.  Or, elastic could be put in the casing (probably the easiest way to fix this issue), and then just attach the sash to each side of the body rather than through the casing. Wow!  I am glad we have craftster so I can think aloud to resolve my sewing issues Smiley  There is a ton of lee-way, though, since all the straps are adjustable, and if the body is too big or too long it just ends up being more of a dress - still cute!  
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009 06:51:03 PM by cahoonjessica » THIS ROCKS   Logged

sewingmommy09
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009 07:26:43 AM »

I love this! thanks for the tut. I am going to try to make it today but do you mine taking a picture of the back please? thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cahoonjessica
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009 09:30:22 AM »

Here's a picture of the pinafore back.  This is the first one I made so it didn't have tie shoulder straps like the later ones, but does have the same back tie...

You can sort of see the back on the body...

Can't wait to see how yours turns out!  Post pictures when you have them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Munora
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009 04:44:44 PM »

These are so sweet. I'm going to try one tonight after the kids go to bed. If I'm successful I'll post pics tomorrow after she wakes up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's not what you know, but what you do with what you know that is important.
Munora
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009 07:46:26 PM »

OK I finished. I just wish it wasn't 10:30pm. I'll have to wait till morning to try it on her. I'll get some action shots in the morning. Tutorial was great. You may want to change your strap count to 4 pieces on the material list. Not sure if the length is right also. I think it was for the original design which was just two solid straps. That was the only problem that I had. I was just to lazy to make new ones. So I used ribbon. Hope they hold up. If not I'll switch them out.

The last two pics are more true in color.

I also made the pocket just a tiny bit bigger. For some reason it looked too small to me.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009 07:49:30 PM by Munora » THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's not what you know, but what you do with what you know that is important.
cahoonjessica
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2009 08:49:46 PM »

OMG!  Your pinafore is so cute!  I love the colors you chose, and I hope the ribbon holds up because not only is it so much easier that you don't have to make more straps, but the print matches the fabric so well.  So sorry about the mistake on the strap length and quantity - I deducted a bit on the length and changed it to "4" rather than "2."  I'll try and make another one this weekend so I can hopefully get it right once and for all Smiley  I cannot believe how quickly you finished being busy with kids and everything! Can't wait to see the pictures of it on her!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How Hot Does the Glass Get in Glass Blowing
How to Blow Glass
How Much Do Glass Blowing Artists Make
How to Choose the Right Yarn for a Knitting Project
How to Cut Fabric
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...