A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 304,843
Currently Running With Scissors:
373 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Toe guards for roller skates  (Read 13685 times)
Tags for this thread: roller_derby  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

zanthess
« on: May 24, 2009 11:28:11 PM »

Hope I'm posting this in the right place.

I've just gotten into roller derby, training right now. I recieved some cash from family to go out and buy a nice pair of speed skates, and on top of that I got some toe guards.

Within two practices the traditional guard was so loose I could push it to the side, and the thought of ruining my skates drove me to thinking all hours of the night to come up with a custom pattern.

I know there are a lot of designs out there, but I wanted to make one that only had one layer of leather under the toestop to make sure it doesn't unscrew.

Anywho... here's a pic of what I have so far, with a side-by-side comparison.

Top view of both skates.

Side-by-side comparison of coverage. Derby girls skid a lot on their toes when falling/getting up/etc. and it's not just on the toe!

Just showing the underside with only one layer of leather, connected up to the side of the guard, so there's no way this thing is slipping anywhere!

I've never worked on leather/suede before, and this was a pain in my side!!!

Any suggestions as to thread/needles would be most appreciated. I used the singer brand needles on my machine and they were horrible.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SkyyAngel
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009 12:30:54 AM »

I don't know anything about derby skates but for sewing leather there is a special leather needle that should help loads. It cuts through the leather as it sews. You could also check out  Tandy Leather Factory for other supplies. They have the sewing machine needles for around $2-3 a pack I think.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zanthess
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009 01:11:52 AM »

Thanks!

There's one near me that I plan on checking out in the next few weeks. I guess I need some heavier-duty leather needles than what Singer carries Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Radmom
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009 07:20:45 AM »

I think those are great...Question 1. Are those Chicago speed skates? That was I used back in the 80's. Skates get kicked really easy anyway just from normal use.

It takes great strides to keep them pristine looking. I would suggest making a couple of more guards, as those might not last to many play sessions.

None of the rinks anywhere near us had Roller Derby when I was a tween in the very early 80's. It was a dying out 70's fad. I am actually glad to see it making a come back.

Have someone load a video on you tube so we can see ya:P Most of all have a blast. Watch R.D is rough stuff...I pray you can take a beating.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

zanthess
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009 10:30:00 AM »

I think those are great...Question 1. Are those Chicago speed skates? That was I used back in the 80's. Skates get kicked really easy anyway just from normal use.

It takes great strides to keep them pristine looking. I would suggest making a couple of more guards, as those might not last to many play sessions.

None of the rinks anywhere near us had Roller Derby when I was a tween in the very early 80's. It was a dying out 70's fad. I am actually glad to see it making a come back.

Have someone load a video on you tube so we can see ya:P Most of all have a blast. Watch R.D is rough stuff...I pray you can take a beating.

Riedell has come up with a boot made specifically for derby, and they included the stripes to give it a more classic look.

I'm surprised that no one else has really come up with a boot guard, considering my pair of skates ran nearly $300.

This is also just a prototype I made in suede. The "real" ones will be made of top grain leather, and made a bit thicker. I'm thinking of adding a thick racing stripe on the toe to reinforce it.

Just wanted to see if I could even come up with a custom design with darts and such, which I've never done. Tongue
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009 10:34:17 AM by zanthess » THIS ROCKS   Logged
sin esperanza
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009 03:50:49 PM »

You are my hero!
I just got started with derby too and got a pair of very pretty speed skates.  the thought of getting scuffed toes has been keeping me up at night.  Would you be willing to post a tutorial on how you made these?  Pretty please?!  
x
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I hate handing over money for what I could just as easily do myself, it makes me nervous.  ~Sylvia Plath

My STS 33

Altered Fairy Tales Swap
aericina
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009 09:03:32 AM »

How are these holding up?  When you said you had some previously that wouldn't stay, what brand were they?  I have a pair of red Sure Grips and they don't rotate, but they sure do make my toe stops fall out all the time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I post life stuff at http://ohheather.com

I post photo stuff at http://labellaflor.com

I roller derby at http://naptownrollergirls.com
zanthess
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2009 11:19:35 PM »

They work quite well!

I'm currently working on another version that uses very limited stitching. The second most common complaint I hear from other rollergirls is that it doesn't last very long. I had to do a lot of stitching, which just isn't cost effective.

My newer design is based off of this one, but only has stitching on the inside of the foot, and in only one area. Less of a chance for failure. I want to make them fancy, but simple is best!

I'll try to post it when I'm finished. It even has double the front toe coverage.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BlueFireBliss
Duct-tape, fabric paint and glitter, Oh my!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2009 10:28:12 PM »

I added homemade leather toe guards to my skates too.  But, I didn't sew anything. I took a rectangle piece of leather and I simply cut one large hole for toe stop bolt-hole and 4 to 6 little holes to put my laces through. No sewing! Wink

[Check picture on profile, b/c this is my first post and I'm not allowed to post.)

You can kinda see where I put the laces through the leather. It's under all the duct-tape.

If you're wondering about the brand of skates....  The boot and plates are 18 years old, but Labeda skates do make derby skates these days.  I've been doing derby for about a year, but I was a rink rat when I was younger.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009 10:39:30 PM by BlueFireBliss » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Good things in life: preg_replace('/(.{49})/', '$1 ', 'love.family.goodfriends.tea.musicmusicmusic.Kundalini')
yoga.trees.fish.flannelsheets.rollerderby.Bones(TVshow).
enchantedwhimsies
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2009 05:37:01 PM »

yup, those are great. i have the regular kind and your skates will still get messed up from slides and stuff. have fun skating!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

casper1675
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010 05:29:53 AM »

Wow!!
Great thinking! I've been playing Derby since last July and totally agree that the little strip "toe guards" are pretty awful. I have hockey tape under mine going up half the boot so i don't stuff the sides  Grin
Have you got any plans on making a tute for these?? I would love to have a go at making my own.
again love them!!
Sending some Derby Love from Australia your way lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thekster
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2013 12:11:51 PM »

Oh my gosh, I would love to see a tutorial or at least a template! I've been looking all over for one on the internet. I just bought my skates and don't want to scuff them all up already.
Yours look great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Elbow grease is the best polish!
"If I hold my tongue just right, and I hold my breath...it will work." - Carol Duvall

www.facebook.com/kernkerncrafts  

the link is calling to you! click it and enjoy. enjoy, damn you!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jeanius - Jane Herman Bishop on Baggy Boyfriend Jeans
From the Vogue Closet - Wearing Plaids in Punk Fashion
Jeanius - Alexandra Cronan on Crop Tops
Jeanius - Grace Fuller on Denim Fashion
Kerry Washington’s Cover Photo Shoot for Vanity Fair’s August 2013 Issue
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...