A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 304,861
Currently Running With Scissors:
645 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: sewing pattern packaging kit  (Read 3408 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cahoonjessica
« on: May 24, 2009 07:57:05 PM »

Sewing pattern tissue is a great "green" alternative to store bought tissue, and lends a creative spirit to your gift. Browse you local thrift store for vintage sewing patterns, which can be picked up for about 25-35 cents an envelope. Don't worry about looking for nice images on the front of the envelope - just find one that has a lot of tissue inside, and that contains tissue that has not been cut. This tissue can be used just like regular tissue paper to cushion your gift - just scrunch and insert into the box. Vintage measuring tape can be used in lieu of ribbon. Add, on a sewing themed gift tag and your packaging will be as special as the gift inside! You can combine all these elements together to create a "Gift Packaging Kit" as well, which could be a gift in itself - Your recipient would have everything they need to package creatively on their own. Here's how to create a kit...

Turn the steam setting off, and iron each sheet of tissue using a medium setting. Not all of the creases will come out, but get the pieces as smooth as possible.

Using a yard stick, measure out, mark with a pencil, and cut the large pattern pieces into smaller rectangles. There is no set size for tissue paper so do what you like (I made mine 22X28 inches). Make as many rectangles as you can, or as many as you desire to include in your "Gift Packaging Kit."

Fold each piece somewhat like a map so that it resembles store bought tissue.

Stack your folded tissue paper, and layer on gift tags and vintage measuring tape to complete the kit.

Gift tags that fit the theme of vintage sewing can be easily made by scanning images from vintage pattern catalogs, the fronts of vintage pattern envelopes, or from vintage sewing books (If you don't have access to these, search around the internet - flickr is a good start - to find pictures you can blow up and use for this purpose). Cut the images out and glue onto coordinating scrapbook paper. Glue cardstock on the back for stability, and punch a hole in the top for affixing to the package.

Vintage measuring tape can be found at your local thrift store or on ebay. If you cannot locate any vintage measuring tape, purchase one new at your local craft store, or use twill tape or ribbon printed to look like measuring tape. I've boughten some at Michael's before (although I can't locate it on their website). And, Scrapbook Creations, Alpha Stamps, and European Papers all offer variations as well. The ribbon printed to look like measuring tape typically runs about 99 cents a yard.

Connect the measuring tape and tags to the tissue by using a vintage or new piece of lace (which the end user can also use to tie the gift tags to the package if needed). You can also include a handmade tag listing the contents of the "Gift Packaging Kit."

Make your own tag listing out the contents of your kit, or use mine.

Variations to the vintage sewing theme could include:
- For Christmas packaging, use thin tinsel or garland instead of measuring tape, and vintage Christmas cards or Christmas themed tags instead of sewing themed ones.
- For a budding baker or cook, use bakers twine instead of measuring tape, and images from cookbooks instead of sewing images for the tags.
- For a Child's birthday theme, use rickrack or pom pom trim instead of measuring tape, and images from a vintage party book for the tags (Betty Crocker's Parties for Children is a good one).

Have fun!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009 01:44:17 AM by Phizzychick - Reason: to comply with craftster rules » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nuraeariel

"Ow! Breadsticks!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009 08:16:11 PM »

What a great idea!  The tape measure as ribbon is a fantastic idea too.  I'm going to use this the next time a friend has a birthday.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

***Be the change you wish to see in the world - Mahatma Gandhi**
PixieVal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009 08:33:10 PM »

Lovely idea! I've got tons of ugly patterns I've colected over the years and have been holding onto, for just the right thing. The right thing I believe is this thing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wtpdesigns
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009 12:36:41 AM »

love this idea... i just can't bring myself to do it lol "you never know when you'll need..."
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I've got drinks piling up on my desk and a stack of pills I haven't even opened yet!"
"We're not gonna hide who we are, ok? I mean, we date, we're straight, get used to it."
http://www.myspace.com/wtpdesigns
meg25k
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009 07:20:41 AM »

THis is great looking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinokeeo

Best of 2013 winner, but this is just as good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009 05:47:11 PM »

This is a lovely themed gift.  Everything you need all wrapped up and ready to sew.  Nice job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

la_vida_l0ca
A necklace of raindrops

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009 02:26:35 PM »

I love the measuring tape ribbon idea - will definitely use this for my nanan who is a great sewing fiend.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Make Gluten Free Flatbread
How to Make Last Supper Tarragon Peas with Carla Hall
How to Make Veggie Jambalaya
Sourdough Waffle Recipe
Sour Cream Waffle Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...