A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,793
Currently Running With Scissors:
755 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My 2 Cents...now with mini-tute/new pix added.  (Read 15995 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

stargardener
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2009 07:32:52 AM »

nickle and reading " I'm Rick James, Bitch".
my sil's bf has a shirt that says this and my dh's aunt and I were thinking about it after a few beverages that with one punctuation this would have a totally different meaning!

I'm Rick James', Bitch"

Totally!  and so funny!
I am sorry for the ridiculous story, but sometimes I can't help myself!

I love love love the pennies!  I love that Lincoln is saying "end war" and all that! 
I live in the Land of Lincoln and its his 200th Bday this year so its kinda big deal, plus its Illinois what else do we have!?  LOL!
I love pennies from those penny squashers, I have a passport too!  I can't resist them!  If I go anywhere and they have them I MUST get them!
really fun idea! I'd wear one as a charm!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*lguernsey*
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2009 07:43:57 AM »

WOW! I so toldly love them... I think its awesome, stamp and get it into circulation, at least it will make the reciever think for a minute, or maybe longer. I once recieved a altered dollar you no one with a saying on it 3 times in a sevral month period, I kepp initialing and dating it every time I got it, so did a few others havent seen it in a while though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Live, Love, and laugh often..
http://deepseasparkle.blogspot.com/
BonEsInspired
BonesInspired

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2009 08:47:10 AM »

That's really cool!
Thanks for sharing Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DeathByDigitalBunnies
« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2009 08:52:39 AM »

You may have just started a whole new' sharpie revolution' but with pennies instead. Awesome
THIS ROCKS   Logged
melyssa_marie
so tacky its classy

tattooeddahlia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2009 09:58:47 AM »

i'm a cashier and someone who has "a thing" for looking at the dates on coins. wheat pennies really get me excited. i would LOVE to get one of these in a transaction. i will certainly keep my eyes peeled.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftymofo
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2009 10:59:47 AM »

Well, given what just happened in California...

It's time for a tute.

So, these pix were taken for another project, but they show you how to stamp metal.

Just close your eyes and replace the silver with a penny.

On second thought, keep your eyes open - no hammered fingers please.

Get your steel stamps.

These are the ones I use.

I got them here:
www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VAA4FK?ie=UTF8&tag=macaroglitte-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B000VAA4FK

You can also use these kind (in the plastic container, but I find the plastic breaks and you're stuck with a messy steel pile of stamps.  Plus the plastic container version is around $20 and the wooden container version is just $20 more.  If you're on a budge, the plastic version will work just as well!

Here you can see that I have marked the metal with a Sharpie marker.  It's helpful if you are learning how to stamp, as you have a guide where you will stamp your letter.  But then you have to clean it off.  Trust me if comes off, but if you are in a hurry, I might omit the step. 

To stamp your message, place the penny on bench block, which has been placed on a solid surface.  You can skip this step and stamp on a level cement floor (which is what I do). 

Place the metal stamp flush with the surface of the penny and use a quick, firm strike with a claw hammer to create the impression.  I think you have more control over the hammer if you are gripping high on the neck.  Soft strikes result in faint letters and do-overs are always difficult.  Before you strike the stamp, check and double-check the placement. 

Notice how I hold the metal stamp.  It's really crucial to have a nice grip on the stamp, as you want to "feel" that it is connecting to the metal.

As you stamp the penny, it might begin to curl up, use the rawhide mallet to flatten the metal without marking it.  Simply tap the metal while its still on the bench block to flatten the surface.  You can skip this step altogether and just use the claw hammer, as any markings to the penny might add more character. 

Now, go forth and stamp!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kurtzie
Kurtzie

kitty feet

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2009 11:18:21 AM »

very cool- how do you get the marker lines off?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love personal swaps, PM me!

My ETSY! Including Hooker on the Go Keychains!
http://LittleGemsbyKari.etsy.com
punkmandi
« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2009 11:29:04 AM »

I really think you may start a craze.  At least you will in my home. 

p.s. I'm an avid collector of smooshed pennies. 52 and counting.  I love finding new ways to "deface" money. THANKS!! Grin Grin Grin Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

landofoz
« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2009 12:43:50 PM »

Just fyi these are now mutilated coin. As are coins that have holes in them or have been shaved, etc. They'll be taken out of circulation once they get to a bank.

You are quite right that these coins are now mutilated and may indeed be pulled from circulation.  However, most coins sent back to Fed as mutilated are obviously mutilated -- such as the smashed coin or one that is shaved/rough.  Someone at the bank is first going to have to notice that the coin is mutilated and even then they're going to have to be annoyed enough to put it in the mutilated.  And unless the weight or magnetic properties of the coin has changed, a coin sorter isn't going to catch it. 

I think these will be hanging around for a while -- a bigger problem will be folks noticing the change and keeping them for themselves!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftymofo
« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2009 01:27:54 PM »

New pennies.
Getting ready to "release" the first batch.

I think I'm keeping End Hate as ND H8.
I like that it's coded

I also changed =AT to =IT, with no Y.
Made more sense that way.

Any request for phrases?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
A Boudoir Photo Shoot Is The Sexy Gift That Keeps On Giving
Photography Tips: Take Only Photographs, Leave Only Footprints
Landscape and Nature Photography Tips
How to Read Your Camera Light Meter
Photography Tips: Using Fill Flash
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...