A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 304,867
Currently Running With Scissors:
437 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Puzzles, games, us...ideas?  (Read 722 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hoxierice

Who knew tailoring was so much fun?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: May 24, 2009 12:18:41 PM »

I am getting married this summer. It will be a casual outdoor affair, relaxed picnic.

One idea I had was to have crossword or other puzzles on each table so guests could have something to do with the other people at the table while waiting or whatever. I had also thought about little "ice breaker" games or something to get the table to be interactive and learn about each other, or something fun having do do with us. So if anyone has good ideas on that, I would love to hear them.

More recently I was thinking about how we have been together for nine years. Yes, we are getting married after nine years of being together and close to eight(?) years living together minus some summers. We have been together longer than--I can't figure out how to phrase it properly, but we have been together and seen people start dating and get married. So the whole wedding is anti-climactic in a way. It is not "the beginning of our lives together". So I thought it would be funny to do something that picks out events that have happened over the near decade we have already been together. I don't really mean events in our journey. But more like music that was popular when we first started dating and stuff like that. Maybe the first computer we bought? and that it had a CD burner in it? What are things that have changed? Music, technology... And what would you do with this? How would you take it to something you could share with the guest? Just a poster board and a time line? Is there anything else you could do?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Goodbye Tucson! I will miss how everything dried so quickly!
nikimac

28 and life to go

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009 08:37:34 AM »

Conan O'Brien had a funny sketch called "In the Year 2000" that made fake predictions about events that would happen as though it was far in the future.  You could do your timeline with a similar spacy theme and sprinkle in events that happened in your early dating years, plus silly pretend futuristic predictions.  You can end with "In the year 2009...we finally got married" or something similar.
For your tables, I've found that Trivial Pursuit cards are remarkably interesting to people.  It's totally boring to actually play the game (sorry to people who like it!), but to just read the trivia and try to guess is great.  I also have a list that I hunted down on the internet of Family Feud-type responses to wedding-themed questions/prompts (such as How old is the average bride? and Name a popular wedding song.); I can email that to you if you PM me your address.  You can totally add fun facts about you to either game. 
Don't downplay marriage too much, though.  Even if you'd been together 80 years, it's still going to be the greatest day of your lives!  I think it's great you're doing a picnic.  That'll be such fun.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love planning parties - come to me if you need any ideas!
selkie

Duct tape and zipties will fix EVERYTHING!

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009 08:44:04 AM »

At my husband's family style Thanksgiving I found cards from a bizarre game called Who Said That? I put those and some cards called think-it link-it and Bill Nye the science guy playing cards on each table. These are 18 - 21 year old military, mostly guys, and I wasn't sure what they would think of it. I was pleasantly surprised at how much they enjoyed them.

Another thought - if you aren't set on a seating chart... At a retreat I helped facilitate, I had baskets of different things, lollipops, cartoons, Halloween candy, different colored glass gems and as each person came in, they had to pick one from the basket - same lollipops, candy, colors etc sat at the same table - that might be fun for other than immediate family.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Power is strength and the ability to see yourself through your own eyes and not through the eyes of another. It is being able to place a circle of power at your own feet and not take power from someone else's circle.

— Agnes Whistling Elk
novastarlet

Plastic Rodeo Queen

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009 05:07:59 PM »

As for the time line thing, I wanted to do something that showed all the years that we have been together as well (8 by the time the wedding rolls around). I was thinking of something like this:

http://www.marthastewartweddings.com/photogallery/wedding-photo-crafts?lnc=cf8c139b22b1d110VgnVCM1000003d370a0aRCRD&rsc=lpg_favors-and-gifts&lpgStart=1&currentslide=8&currentChapter=1#ms-global-breadcrumbs

I wanted to show off our vacation pictures from over the years because we have gone to some pretty cool places. Plus we are getting married in New Orleans and then coming home for the reception. Thought I would add some shots from the wedding in there as well.

Games sounds like a good plan to get people who might not know each other to talk. I like the idea of leaving some trivial pursuit cards on the tables. I think I lot of people have also been using kootie catchers (is that the name?). I was considering doing a couple with different themes - like using them to foretell your perfect vacation spot, would you survive the zombie war, retirement plans, etc. Not sure if that makes sense in writing, but yeah...

Crosswords are a great idea and I know you can make some with all your own words/clues - but that might not work too well at getting the conversations going at the table. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Website  :  Flickr  :  Wist
Bladerunner
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009 08:58:03 PM »

For mine next spring, I'm thinking of making paper fans with games on the back (brief programs on the front). I'll probably make three or four sets of fans, each with two games on the back (from MadLibs, word search, acrostic, crossword puzzle, and wedding-couple trivia). 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Who's the freak in the tights?"
"Haven't been in Gotham long, have you kid?"
     --Batman Beyond
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Make 3 At-Home Cellulite Remedies
Eva Chen Introduces the May 2014 Digital Edition
Drew Barrymore and Eva Chen: Answering Your Beauty Questions
5 Editors, 5 Makeup Must-Haves
6 Morning Makeup Routine Hacks
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...