A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 301,511
Currently Running With Scissors:
582 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: prairie/hippie skirt pattern wanted!  (Read 2691 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

RockersAgainstEmo
« on: April 02, 2005 11:06:39 AM »

I'm really gunning for making a few prairie skirts for Spring, so if anyone has some nice patterns out there, I'd really appreciate them!  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GloryB
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I have a sewing machine, and I know how to use it

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2005 03:25:40 PM »

You really don't need a pattern for that style of skirt.  Measure the skirt length that you want, add 3 1/2 inches for a hem and waist seam allowance, Multiply that by 3, add 1/4 yard, buy that much fabric. And a 7" zipper.  Cut 3 skirt lengths, out of the remaining fabric cut your waist band, You should have enough for a pocket, too.  Sew the panels together, putting the zipper in one of the seams.  Gather the top edge to fit, and sew on the waist band, and hem the bottom.
That is how we made our first skirt in Home-Ec when I was a freshman in high school
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Randommarble

My cat Marble. Make a nice fur coat?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2005 07:49:57 AM »

I thought a prairie skirt was one with tiers Huh Aren't they made by getting one piece a little longer than ur waist and then add a little more to each tier and gather till they fit each other then sew together, sew a casing and thread elastic (about the length of ur waist or perhaps slighty shorter) through top and hem the bottom.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Remember: To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world.

See my website for my products (will post to anywhere in UK at cost of postage and packaging). It is a little out of date due to a server crash. Please email me if you want a custom order
GloryB
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I have a sewing machine, and I know how to use it

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2005 11:28:55 AM »

A "prairie" skirt is simply a full gathered skirt.  It can be tiered, or have a ruffle around the bottom, or not.  It can have either a set-on waist band or elastic waist.  And it should be a least mid-calf length.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2005 11:31:19 AM by GloryB » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Randommarble

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2005 11:46:50 AM »

GloryB - thanks for the explanation Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Remember: To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world.

See my website for my products (will post to anywhere in UK at cost of postage and packaging). It is a little out of date due to a server crash. Please email me if you want a custom order
RumGummbleBee
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2005 08:22:19 PM »

Hey I just found one! and it is cheap too!!!!! wooohoo, I am going out tomorrow to get it:

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Randommarble

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2005 09:05:53 AM »

If you are making a tiered one like that, you should come and join the gypsy skirt sewalong (on the sewalong board). Most people are just winging it but it may be useful to have someone there with proper instructions for when I can't explain things. The more, the merrier.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use a Curling Iron
How to Use a Hair Dryer
How to Tease Hair
What Is the Secret to French Hair
Top Tips for Short Hair
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decorative Bulletin Board
Rain, rain, you don't have to go away...
Tute Tuesday: Latch Hooked Rag Rug

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...