A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 298,660
Currently Running With Scissors:
695 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I am addicted....3 new hats *Img heavy* with pattern  (Read 3651 times)
Tags for this thread: hat , pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bluwave06
Tutorial Contributor

Fifties Twist

View Profile WWW
« on: May 23, 2009 10:22:47 PM »

As summer is starting, I decided to try my hand at crocheting some hats. I finished the first sample the other day but wasn't all to happy with the outcome so I tweaked the pattern a bit and added flowers.

The pink one is for me and the other two are for friends. It took approx. 4 hours per hat, less than a skein and I finished two just today and added the flower to the blue one. I made up a pattern as I went and is fairly easy. I only used double and single crochet stitches and now I am addicted. I still have tons of yarn left over to make tons more but I think I will take a break for a day or two as my hand is aching. But onto the pics...

What do you think? My friend has yet to see hers as she is on vacation.

Blue cap: Made with a brushed yarn, 100% Acrylic

Orange: Made with another brushed 100% Acrylic yarn

Pink: Pink Acrylic and wool rich: acrylic, wool, polymide blend

If any one would like the pattern, just let me know and I will post it.
Thanx for looking!

**Edit**
Crocheted Hat with Brim
Materials needed:
1 skein of yarn for a hat and one for the rosette *note you may be able to get 2-3 hats depending on size of skein
Crochet hook, I used a K hook with two of the three caps
Tapestry/yarn needle
Approx. takes 4 hours

Ch 5 join to form a ring
Rnd. 1: Ch 3 9dc in ring, join
Rnd 2: Ch 2 dc *2dc in ea dc around, join
Rnd 3: Ch 2 2dc in next st *dc next, 2dc next. Repeat from * until you are back to the beginning, join
Rnd 4: Ch 2 dc next st, 2 dc in the next *dc next 2, 2 dc in next.  Repeat from * until you are back to the beginning, join
Rnd 5: Ch 2 dc next 2 st(s), 2 dc next st * dc next 3, 2 dc next st. Repeat from * until you are back to the beginning, join
Rnd 6: Ch 2 dc next 3 st(s), 2 dc next st * dc next 4, 2 dc next st. Repeat from * until you are back to the beginning, join
Rnd 7: Ch 2 dc next 4, 2 dc next st *dc next 5, 2 dc next st.  Repeat from * until you are back to the beginning, join
Rnd 8: Ch 2 dc next 5, 2 dc next st *dc next 6, 2 dc next st.  Repeat from * until you are back to the beginning, join
**Rnd 8B: Ch 2 dc next 6, 2 dc next st * dc next 7, 2 dc next st. Repeat from * until you are back to the beginning, join
**Note: only add this round if you are A) using a small thickness yarn and using a j or smaller hook, B) it is too small.
Rnd 9-11: Ch 1, dc ea st of each round joining when you get to the end of each round
Rnd 12: Ch 3 sk next st, dc the next * ch 1 dc next 6 st(s), skip next one. Repeat from * until you are back to the beginning, join
***Rnd 13: Ch 3 sk next st, dc the next * ch 1 dc next 5 st(s), skip next one. Repeat from * until you are back to the beginning, join
***Only use this round if you require it to be smaller, otherwise skip this round and move to Rnd 14.
Rnd 14-15: Ch 1 dc ea st of each round joining when you get to the end of each round. Fasten off.

Brim:

** I have noticed that my instructions here are a little off in the counting of the stitches, but trust me it does work out.[ Just make sure that you have three stitches at the end of each round, these are for the sc dec next 2 and sc last st(s).]  
Ch 1 dc next 26
Rnd 1: Ch 1 turn. Sc in front loops of the next 25
Rnd 2: Ch 1 turn. Sc dec next 2, sc next 5, 2sc in next, sc next 8, 2 sc in next, sc next 5, sc dec next 2, sc last
Rnd 3: Ch 1 turn. Sc dec next 2, sc next 20, sc dec next 2, sc last
Rnd 4: Ch 1 turn. Sc dec next 2, sc next 4, 2sc next st, sc next 8, 2 sc next, sc next 4, sc dec next 2, sc last
Rnd 5: Ch 1 turn. Sc dec next 2, sc next 16 or 18, sc dec next 2, sc last
Rnd 6: Ch 1 turn. Sc dec next 2, sc next 3, 2sc next, sc next 8, 2 sc next, sc next 1 or 3, sc dec next 2, sc last. Fasten off.
2nd part of brim:
Join yarn in back loop of 1st st of the first part of brim.
Rnd 1: sc back loops of next 25
Rnd 2-6: repeat rnds 2-6 above
Fasten off.
To join the brims together: start at one corner and sc all around both brims at the same time. When you reach the other corner of the brim, fasten off.
Finish off any loose threads.

Rosette: S (M,L)
Ch 17 (35, 53) join to form a ring. Make sure to leave a long enough tail to be threaded through center to close the ring a bit. [ this is done after you are finished with everything]
Rnd 1: Ch 1 34 (70, 106) dc in ring, join in first dc.
Rnd 2: Ch 3 (counts as a dc), 5 dc in first st * sc next st, 6 dc in next st Repeat from * until you reach the first st. and sc the st. Fasten off.
Now take the tail in the middle and thread through the center(so when you get back to where you started, you can pull the thread and it will bring the ring closer together.) now all that is left to do is attach to where you want it to be on the hat and you are finished.

If you need any visuals I will be posting a photo tutorial as well, but for now here is the written form. Sorry if some of the instructions are a little confusing, this is my first time making up a crochet pattern. I am usually a seamstress, so this was a new learning experience for me.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2009 10:11:45 AM by bluwave06 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

jordyca
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009 11:43:35 PM »

HI, this are so awesome!!!! I would tottaly want to make one, if you dont mind sharing the pattern. Plus I also have a question for you, I live in Mexico and all the yarn I have bought here has no thick or any kind of yarn measuremnts, and I have tried to make some hats but Ive found out after lot of crocheting on the hat that it ends up being to small or to big to fit.. Do you have any idea of how big does it have to be on the top after you start crocheting with out adding stitches? do I make any sense? mmm lets say you crochet on the round, you add stictches every round to make the cricle bigger and bigger, and there is a point where you dont need to add stitches, just need to crochet down on the last number of stitches so it kind of makes a tube.  Ill apreciate the help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://guaya.wordpress.com/
graphic designer at day, bartender on the weekends, and a crazy craftster by night.
emilylala
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009 01:00:14 AM »

omg the are so cute. i love the first two. gosh id love the pattern. their not too warm for summer are they?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftyfoxni
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009 04:58:40 AM »

these are so cute!!!!!  love the colours and yes please to the tut  Grin   
i have made tried to make something like these but never seem to get my brim right but you have made it look easy  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

while i knit i think
bluwave06
Tutorial Contributor

Fifties Twist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009 07:34:09 AM »

jordyca, I know what you mean, the first one I made ended up being a little tight. What I realized was that the yarn I first used was not thick and very thin. So to fix this problem I just added one more row which made it fit perfect. I will get around to posting the pattern, with notes that I took that should help you out.

emilylala, Thanks and I am not sure if they are too warm or not. I have yet to try them out but I used the double crochet as they are looser.

Thanks again everyone, I will get around to posting the pattern later today tommorrow.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009 08:16:39 PM by bluwave06 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

texmexie
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009 06:33:07 PM »

the sedond one is my favorite!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"So we are His portion and He is our prize,
Drawn to redemption by the grace in His eyes
If grace is an ocean we're all sinking"
                     *Jesus Culture*
bluwave06
Tutorial Contributor

Fifties Twist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009 08:15:46 PM »

Thanx.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SylvChezPlum
Knitting and crocheting in France

J'adoooore Crafster !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009 12:37:58 AM »

They look great, I esp. love the colors of the first one  :-P
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Patterns & free Patterns: ChezPlum - Blog - Etsy -
Rav - Craftsy
bluwave06
Tutorial Contributor

Fifties Twist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2009 10:12:31 AM »

Thanx!

I added the pattern, any questions post here or PM me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bunsenhoneydew13
copacetic

superherogirl.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2009 11:25:36 PM »

Thanks for the pattern!  It'll definitely take me longer than 4 hours to make one (I'm terrible at following crochet patterns), but I'm excited.  I like the rosette.  Did you use a small, medium, or large one on the hats that you posted?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Settlers of Catan
Ladies Behind the Beat .TV - Gail Jhonson - Interview
Learn About the Marionette Puppet
How to Lip Synchronize a Puppet Properly
How to Manipulate a Puppet for TV and Theater
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament
Falling for Autumn Crafts

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...