A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 302,964
Currently Running With Scissors:
625 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Homemade HouseCleaning  (Read 1603 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

shelleibean
« on: May 22, 2009 01:58:07 PM »

I'm in the process of switching from buying anything commercially made to clean my house/do laundry/unclog drains/ you know, house work related to homemade DIY type solutions. So far I'm pleased w/ my results and of course the money/plastic/chemicals I don't waste or use.  Of course there is a plethora of information available i.e. recipes for cleaning solutions and the like. 
I'm looking for more input- do you make your own household cleaners? If so what is your magic formula? 
Also I have this idea to make my own furniture wax, but I'm not all that sure about how to start experimenting. Ideally it would be a more spreadable beeswax concoction, but how do get there? the more spreadable part I mean. Any ideas?
Also- some DIY freshening (like air freshener but not as gross) ideas would be most appreciated haven't found anything I'm especially pleased with.
 Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BelleBeryl
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009 03:43:00 AM »

hello
I do make some of my homecleaning products.
I make rosemary vinegar for window cleaning.
I make wood furniture polish wax using beeswax some carrier oil and essential oils any type citrus or a citrus mix. More wax is stiffer more oil is softer so is a matter of what you want.Use old rag to apply polish.
Vacuum I add cotton wool ball or makeup-pad with few drops mint oil the whole house smells minty and fresh.
Air freshener I spray mist in water diluted essential oils with a spray mist
bottle.
Wood garden furniture and patio area I use fresh lemon/lime leftovers to polish up and remove the green that builds up in cold climate.
Usually I make small amounts of the things I use and make up new as I see
when new is needed.
I do have one regular commercial allround cleaner which I use diluted.
But all in all I like using the homemade cleaners.
Always use handcreams keeps the hands nice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Selnith
Ruler of Geek

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009 04:00:51 AM »

we have lots of plants around to help keep the air fresh, i also use bowls of hot water with a few drops of EO in it
to keep the fridge smelling fresh i've been recommended half a lemon packed with sea salt, haven't tried it yet
and for general cleaning purposes, borax, it cleans almost anything (really, i've used it to removed blood stains (martial arts rock) and food colouring (i like to get experimental when i cook) bathroom grime everything)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
melmakespretty
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009 04:40:02 AM »

I've started using white vinegar as rinse aid in the dishwasher and also in the washing machine instead of fabric softener and they both work really well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*~*Come​ and visit our new collaborative craft blog Hand Made-n's!!*~*~
smittenheart

Let go of what's already gone..

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009 04:44:53 AM »

Belleberyl..rosemar y vinegar sounds DIVINE!!

what a great thread..

I know for us we use vinegar to wipe down the counter tops and  I keep a little of it in a dish if we cooked something with a 'funky' scent..

I have never infused it with anything though..awesome idea..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

its ME!!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=327537.0

http://cowandpigdesigns.etsy.com
http://cowandpigdesigns.blogspot.com
Soap licking is dangerous..please dont try it at home

will trade some soap for a superhero cape which will be used by the kid in my avatar ^^
Selnith
Ruler of Geek

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009 03:00:32 PM »

oh and vinegar and water for cleaning glass
used with kitchen towel and newspaper for smear free clean and shiny windows and mirrors
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shelleibean
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009 08:28:21 AM »

Thanks so much for the idea y'all! I mostly already do most of these things: i.e I use white vinegar in various dilutions/mixtures for cleaning just about everything- reused some spray bottle and hit up the dollar store for some others.  Last week I used olive oil w/ some orange EO to clean and polish my kitchen cabinets. I've been infusing vinegar with bits of citrus fruits that would otherwise go to waste, using a 1:1 mix of baking soda and borax on a wet sponge to clean our showers.  I've also been using homemade laundry detergent w/ white vinegar in the fabric softener cup instead of commercial products- I really love this as the clothes are clean, soft and fresh smelling while I saved $$$. 
we have lots of plants around to help keep the air fresh, i also use bowls of hot water with a few drops of EO in it
to keep the fridge smelling fresh I've been recommended half a lemon packed with sea salt, haven't tried it yet
and for general cleaning purposes, borax, it cleans almost anything (really, I've used it to removed blood stains (martial arts rock) and food colouring (i like to get experimental when i cook) bathroom grime everything)
Borax is a freakin' miracle product and I can't imagine how I was ever sold on something fancier.  I've heard of the salt filled citrus shell before- haven't tried it yet, but I may soon.  Can you reccommend some plants specifically to clean the air? We have a few- some spider plants, a pothos vine and some others I can't really identify.

Vacuum I add cotton wool ball or makeup-pad with few drops mint oil the whole house smells minty and fresh.

Do you put that inside the vacuum? Like the bag/canister? I like this idea a lot
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Selnith
Ruler of Geek

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009 10:33:33 AM »

sorry i can't name them we just have these things with big slightly variegated green leaves they don't smell like anything in particular but the rooms they're in always smell fresher than those that don't have them
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shelleibean
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2009 10:39:38 AM »

sorry i can't name them we just have these things with big slightly variegated green leaves they don't smell like anything in particular but the rooms they're in always smell fresher than those that don't have them
I *think* I know which kind you mean.  BTW, I juiced something like 15 limes the other day for margaritas and remembered to save a few shells.  I stuffed them full of sea salt and put them in a dish. It's been about a day and the room doesn't smell limey but it's not so doggy/dusty smelling.  Like how unscented soap makes things smell clean not like a fragrance. It's nice. I'd like to try it w/ a bigger citrus fruit, like an orange or grapefruit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Selnith
Ruler of Geek

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2009 01:26:39 AM »

i know what you mean, it just smells clean, that's why i like it for the fridge because i'm not afraid of it contaminating other food stuffs with the scent of lemon
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Knit Homemade Socks with a Loom Part 16/30
How to Knit Homemade Socks with a Loom Part 17/30
How to Knit Homemade Socks with a Loom Part 14/30
How to Knit Homemade Socks with a Loom Part 18/30
How to Knit Homemade Socks with a Loom Part 13/30
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...