A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 299,122
Currently Running With Scissors:
675 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help making flag quilts?  (Read 727 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

chick-wiff-sticks
« on: May 22, 2009 11:51:03 AM »

A few of my friends have graduated and I wanted to make them quilts of country flags. (I have some experience quilting, but not much) Really, two questions:
1. Does anyone know of any flag patterns for quilting? Because I don't want to use uber huge pieces of fabric that will sag.
2. Really, how should I go about this? The tri-stripe flags I'm not so worried about, it's the USSR flag. That's quite a big stretch of fabric on that one.

And now the explanation: One big inside joke of ours that's lasted through out high school years is dorkily comparing ourselves to the countries. We decided that our little group consisted of Russia (usually referring to USSR), Lithuania, Austria, and Poland. I thought it would be a nice gift (quilts are always nice gifts!) that would remind them of our old jokes and friends.
Of course, our America, Canada, and China graduate next year...

The flags, for those who aren't familiar with them:
USSR: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_the_Soviet_Union
Lithuania: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Lithuania
Austria: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Austria
Poland: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Poland

EDIT: I have no idea what to do for a border or backing. Any tips? I want it to look as plain/like the flag as possible.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009 11:54:57 AM by chick-wiff-sticks » THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.intherealworld.moonfruit.com
We need an artist! Visit the site and try out!
MissDisney
will you take me to gang practice? yis?

You will never guess

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009 11:57:34 AM »

i would suggest applique for any designs on the flag

do you want a series of little squares that make up a larger quilt that looks like a flag

-or-

a large flag pieced the size of a blanket

-or-

a bunch of mini flags that are sewn together as the top?

large pieces of fabric wont really sag as long as you top stich the edges and either tie the quilt or actually quilt it
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i think im back....9 months almost to the day but i miss art, and i missed you guys!
chick-wiff-sticks
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009 12:00:05 PM »

i would suggest applique for any designs on the flag

do you want a series of little squares that make up a larger quilt that looks like a flag

-or-

a large flag pieced the size of a blanket

-or-

a bunch of mini flags that are sewn together as the top?

large pieces of fabric wont really sag as long as you top stich the edges and either tie the quilt or actually quilt it
Ok, that was very helpful, thanks. And I think I'm, going to do the 2nd one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissDisney

You will never guess

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009 12:16:31 PM »

i just needed to know upon which to give advice

the large piece of fabric will be very easy. you basically want to measure the size you want your quilt to be, then piece fabric together in those dimensions...add the applique and then stitch the back on

i wouldnt use a border, since it will dimish the appearance of the flag

now i wanna do flag quilts lol...add that to the list that is longer than i will ever live for
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i think im back....9 months almost to the day but i miss art, and i missed you guys!
SkyyAngel
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009 10:12:37 AM »

I agree with not doing a border UNLESS it's a thick gold braid fringe... lol. Then it would be perfect for a flag.

http://www.barbettind.com/86.jpg

Very ambassador-like! lol
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009 07:09:17 AM by kittykill - Reason: Image hotlinked » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cookn
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009 06:14:08 AM »

Not to rain on your parade, but unless the friends intend to never return to their home country with the quilt you might be well advised to check and make sure that the laws in the country where they live are such that there will not be any legal problems with defacing the countries flag. Some countries aren't as liberal with their laws as the USA is and there could be severe legal repercussions for having  something made from the countries flag. Until it went through the Supreme Court it was highly illegal to deface the US flag and could land you in jail if you did.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissDisney

You will never guess

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009 06:27:27 AM »

Not to rain on your parade, but unless the friends intend to never return to their home country with the quilt you might be well advised to check and make sure that the laws in the country where they live are such that there will not be any legal problems with defacing the countries flag. Some countries aren't as liberal with their laws as the USA is and there could be severe legal repercussions for having  something made from the countries flag. Until it went through the Supreme Court it was highly illegal to deface the US flag and could land you in jail if you did.

damn..good point. unfortunate, but good (i think that you should be able to show your pride in anyway conceivable)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

anaximander
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009 09:02:12 AM »

Well, the thing is, if I'm understanding correctly, you're not actually using a pre-made flag, you're making your own, which is a very fine point of definition, but it allows you pretty significant wiggle room in that regard.  The US, for example, however stringently or not-so-stringently enforced, has a whole WHACK of laws regarding how the flag is to be used and shown etc (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Flag_Code) Canada, on the other hand, has practically NO laws about it, ditto the UK, and many other countries I did on a quick search. Mostly the laws on desecration have to do with burning an official flag, which this would not be by any stretch of the imagination. However, I'd at least check the wikipedia page for whatever flag you're making - if nothing else, they seem to have very good information regarding proportions (the page for the flag of turkey, for example, has the proper size and spacing ratios for the crescent and star).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chick-wiff-sticks
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009 11:57:49 AM »

Oh, sorry for being unclear. I don't intend to use any bits of actual flags, just to make them out of fabric. And all of the friends are American.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftymama06

I craft..Therefore I am..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2009 10:01:54 AM »

Can't wait to see what you come up with..I think it would be a great idea..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Debbie
I LOVE anything homemade..
I LOVE giving HOMEMADE gifts..Which KID would YOU like??

Current Swaps..
Dotee's Round 7
I LOVE FALL
Hair DooDads 2
Martryska Swap-Sign ups
My Wists:
http://www.wists.com/craftymama06
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Compressed Watermelon Slices Infused With Vodka
3 Cool Watermelon Recipes for Labor Day
AOL Experts - Summer Wine Pairing
30-Minute Real Deal Chili Recipe
How to Make the Ramenritto at Home
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...