A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,696
Currently Running With Scissors:
601 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: someone else's UFO = my new cutting table (pic heavy)  (Read 2427 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mrs_Boats

Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head!

View Profile
« on: May 22, 2009 11:35:12 AM »

I was out yard saling awhile ago and got lost. I found a little burg I'd never heard of before, and a yard sale that was just about done. The lady told me to shop fast-the Goodwill truck was on the way. Everything there was either fifty cents or five bucks. She didn't have a lot I was interested in until I saw the table. Apparently it was her husband's UFO-it was all sanded and ready to go...three moves ago, to hear her tell it. Cheesy So I bought it.

I brought it home, scrubbed it good, painted in high gloss white (left over kitchen/bath trim). And there it sat. I was stuck. It was better, but boring. And then, in a thrift shop, I had an idea, and bought every old, beat up pattern I could lay hands on. I dug in the shed and found left over living room paint in pattern brown and painted the top, then I cut the front off the envelopes, and trimmed them with scrapbook scissors (to look like fancy stitches). Then I shuffled, shuffled, and shuffled some more, then mod podged the whole thing down.

And here it is in its new corner.

The patterns were all 70's/80's ish, although there were a few from both earlier and later. A few kids, but mostly adults. The white stripe across the front will be a 36" ruler just as soon as I locate my black paint marker.

Aaand...I'm not sure I like it. Good concept, bad execution? Just doesn't match the picture in my head? I dunno, something. It just needs something, I think, I just don't know what. I'm going to let it sit, see if it grows on me. Probably add another couple layers of mod podge-there are still some rough edges and slightly bubbled spots. It the meantime, my cutting mat covers most of it, so I don't have to worry about it snagging fabric, or fabric snagging it.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sing like no one is listening
Love like you've never been hurt
Dance like no one can see you
Live like its heaven on earth
MissDisney
will you take me to gang practice? yis?

You will never guess

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009 11:39:33 AM »

i think it looks great both ways, which makes it versatile

if you arent sewing, or needing the mat, you can have the very attractive table top for everyone to look at
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i think im back....9 months almost to the day but i miss art, and i missed you guys!
Snootzie

Proof that my brother once adored me

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009 11:53:17 AM »

what if you put down some of the sewing pattern pieces? They could make an interesting background for the colored covers...  Just a thought...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I just bought a new house... okay the house isn't new... it was actually born in the same month and year I was!!
jillvedge
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009 12:01:46 PM »

Maybe you could try another thrift shop and buy more patterns. I think if you extended them all the way to the edge of the table it would give it a more finished look. I also liked what Snootzie said about the actual pattern pieces.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
audio
Nobody could do that much dcoupage without calling on the powers of darkness.

Galactic Empress Audrey The Nerdy

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009 12:26:38 PM »

I think it is agood idea! TO make it better you could also modge podge the tissue patterns all over, down the legs, around the edges of the pictures, and on the drawers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

eye.heart.art

big, fat AND delicious!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009 01:18:25 PM »

I think you should decoupage the legs with the pattern pieces.   What a great score!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Help me get naked in Greece! LunaGrrrl.Etsy.com
pinokeeo

Best of 2013 winner, but this is just as good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009 04:15:32 PM »

I agree with everyone else.  You should add the patterns themselves, but I think I would add them only to the legs and drawer fronts.  Get more colored pattern envelopes to finish the top.

Anyway, it looks great the way it is.  Great find.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mrs_Boats

Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009 03:52:26 AM »

I agree with everyone else-I'll start looking this week for more patterns to use to fill out the top. I'm undecided on using the pattern pieces themselves; I'll let that sit in the back of my head for awhile. Or, I just got a grotty old bookshelf out of storage to redo-I could do the pattern pieces on the shelves, see if I like it and if I do, do the table drawers/legs too.

In any case, thanks! Fresh eyes = fresh ideas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sing like no one is listening
Love like you've never been hurt
Dance like no one can see you
Live like its heaven on earth
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Duffman - 21st Drawing
How to Draw Otto Mann - 29th Drawing
How to Draw Disco Stu - 43rd Drawing
How to Draw a Multi-Eyed Squirrel - 53rd Drawing
How to Draw Lisa Simpson - 14th Drawing
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...