A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,576
Currently Running With Scissors:
816 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 3D Paper Bird Scenes  (Read 9260 times)
Tags for this thread: featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jrain
« on: May 22, 2009 11:08:40 AM »

I made these paper bird scenes for the handmade bird swap and I'm so pleased with how they turned out that I wanted to share them here! Cheesy

I think this one is my favourite of the bunch:

His wings are made from flocked paper that had a lovely texture. He has googly eyes and his tummy is made from individual plastic gems that I had to glue and stick down.

I wasn't sure about the colour combination at first but this one has definitely grown on me. This bird also has a gem tummy and googly eyes. His wings are made from paper that had decorative stitching all over.

I think this bird took the longest to make out of all of them! His tummy is made of sequins that I stuck down individually and overlapped. His eyes are made from mini brads. The time consuming part was his wings! I hand drew the pattern on each 'feather' and each feather is actually an individual piece that I had cut out. They had to be stuck down so that they all fitted together correctly which was much more difficult than I had anticipated!

This bird has a little glass bead for his eye. His tail was a separate piece that I covered in fine glitter before attaching it to the rest of his body. His wing is made from a paper that had decorative stitching on and I also drew on it in silver and purple glitter pens to give it more pattern. His tummy is made from a shiny mesh.

My final bird was the most brightly coloured of the lot! Like the previous one, he has a bead eye and a separate glitter tail. His wing is made from scrapbook paper that I then stamped with green ink and coloured with gel pen as well as pearly translucent glitter glue, though that hasn't really shown up in the photo. His tummy is made from a metallic blue-green paper and I drew all of the orange stars on his body.

These are the individual bird pieces all together:

Each scene is made out of seven interlocking pieces: two side supports that the other pieces slot into, a background piece with trees on, 3 further pieces with trees that stand on their own and a final piece with the bird. This shot gives a better look at how they are constructed:

I covered the back of each bird with coloured paper to match their body so the scene looks nice from behind as well. The trees are made out of quilling paper which was incredibly time consuming and fiddly to cut but I think looks quite good.

I wanted to post the birds flat so that they didn't get damaged in the post and this gave me the opportunity to design some packaging. For each bird, I made a kind-of envelope that fitted nicely into the outer envelope. All of the pieces for each bird scene then sat one on top of the other inside.

The bird cage design on the front of each envelope is a single black piece of paper that I cut sections out of and then stuck down.

Phew! Wink I hope you liked them. Comments are always appreciated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinokeeo

Best of 2013 winner, but this is just as good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009 02:59:18 PM »

Wow!  I'm amazed.  These are awesome.  Beautiful.  Did you design this type of standing art yourself, or did you find a tutorial?

Lovely birds.  Nice Work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://PiNOKEEOs.artfire.com

50 projects for 2014--20/50
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=430313.msg5136721#msg5136721
Recovering from surgery and crafting again!!!
jrain
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009 04:19:43 PM »

Thank you! Cheesy I came up with the idea myself after a little trial and error to get the sizes of the pieces right. I wanted to create something that was made of paper but had a bit more substance than just a flat sheet. I'm glad you like them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

carmencrafter
No one can make it better than you can

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009 04:44:50 PM »

You did a great job!  The pink bird is my favorite!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Surround yourself with beautiful things!!

Bernie Lomax died for your sins!
grimmlynn

I dare you to make less sense.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009 05:46:26 PM »

I can't even pick a favorite because I love them all so much.  You did a great job on all of them.  Your swap partner is going to be so lucky!
*this rocks*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. -Dr. Seuss

Use coupon code CRAFTSTERFRIEND and receive a 10% discount at my etsy shop:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/grimmlynn
meg25k
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009 06:20:39 PM »

Awesome!  Looks like so much work and attention to details!  Really good and original.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jrain
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2009 05:36:35 AM »

Aww *blush* Thank you everyone!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Spiffyhink
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009 10:00:48 PM »

These are so cute! They remind me of the paper crafts I used to do as a child--I think I did a zoo once--but they weren't, of course, nearly this sophisticated.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2009 09:37:58 AM »

Congrats on being a featured project!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
jrain
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2009 01:17:32 PM »

Oh wow, thanks sweets4ever! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Art of Recycled African Culture Puppets
Learn about Recycled Art and Beadworks
The Art of Recycled Materials
How To Play A Augmented 7
Learn How To Trade Emini Future June 15
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...