A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 298,759
Currently Running With Scissors:
293 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: pom poms/felting  (Read 2474 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

snoopendous
« on: September 24, 2003 08:02:02 PM »

was reading on several sites about making things with hand-made pom poms. I had forgotten how to make them, but it is very simple:  just take some "c" shaped cardboard cutouts (2) of them, and holding the pieces together, wrap yarn aropund them several times, cut around the edges, tie yearm between the two "c" shaped cut outs and tie the yarn tightly and remove the cardboard for the pom poms.

The Martha Stewart website has some stuff about making various kids' things like lady bugs and snakes.  The new edition on "Home crafts" shows how to make a lamb-like rug with pom poms.  But if anyone has done anything else with them, I'd be most interested.  I am also interested in felting, which looks pretty cool.  The Martha S website shows how to take wool and make it into these balls, including how to make spots and stripes.  Looks pretty neat.

Has anyone ever done any stuff with pom poms or with felting, and what have you done?Huh  I was thinking of aligning pom poms to make a purse of various colors.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
comfits
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2003 07:21:39 AM »

oooooooooh,  I LOVE your purse idea!!  

I don't know what you had in mind, but I would do the entire purse out of them!  Just get a purse, or make one and sew them on.  I think that would make them the most sturdiest.  If someone does this--they have got to post pics!!!

Here's some quick ideas off the top of my head:

• Glue them around a lampshade
  • Glue them to the edges of a bookcase
  • Use them as a buttons for a purse or bag project.
  • Attach them to the straps on your thongs--your shoes, not your underwear   Shocked
  • Make magnets or cover tacks--yes, it's a rip from the marble magnets
  • A bookmark.  Just leave one long piece of yarn to fit the length of book & make a smaller pom at the other end
  • The edge for a photo frame
  • Make them into the old style pom critters with wiggle eyes, antennas, and felt fit.  Then stick them all around your computer
  • Use them in your car, like around your rear-view mirror  Grin
  • Cover a pillow, that'd be comfy
  • And........I'm sure there's a lot more.........

I can't wait to see some more ideas for these!![/color]
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dicharry

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2003 09:40:00 AM »

i bought for a couple bucks a pom-pom maker at the knitting store - it's basically just three different circles that make three different size of pompoms - i think it's a lot easier than having to use the perfect piece of cardboard over and over.  good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
snoopendous
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2003 05:40:40 PM »

yeah - I am going to try to persuade my friend to drive me into the suburbs where Joann Fabrics and Michael's are located this weekend so that I can find a pom pom maker.  I definitely think a purse would be fun.  I plan to do it with a variety of colors.  The handle/strap for the purse should be easy -- after making a whole bunch of pom poms, just string them into a long string and then use that as the handle.

Then for the actual purse itself, I am thinking that I may just find an old purse that I can sew the pom poms on to, and actually at the container store they sell these mesh purses that look like they might be good for attaching things onto.  

I ripped a picture out of an old magazine I was reading that was advertising a "gumball purse" -- basically looks like a whole bunch of gumballs strung together in a wide variety of bright colors, for almost $50 -- I think I can make one for a lot cheaper.

Anyway, if I make one I will try to figure out a way to put the picture up here.  I don't have a digital camera but I heard that I can take pictures to Kinkos and get them scanned.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
firehead4

Wanna Make Something of It?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2003 05:59:37 PM »

I went on a felting "binge" and tried to learn how to do it off of the internet.  There's the fancy way (working on a screen with a lint-y like wool and smooshing it together to make felt) and the easy way (doing it in the washing machine).  I tried a shortcut. I went to the Salvation Army store and purchased old wooly sweaters in really beautiful colors. Then I just washed them silly and put them in the dryer.  What I got was a really shrunken super soft sweater.  Does it resemble felt?---sort of...but it's still kind of thick really. Here it is:

http://hometown.aol.com/firehead4/page1.html

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Practicing Random Acts of Creativity

Follow Me at...
http://artforcoffeessake.blogspot.com/
http://youtu.be/Q73M5hiqktA
WrdyGrrl

Actually, I'm a polymath.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2003 02:41:41 PM »

I got a few books on felting from the library (there I go again, pushing the metropolitan library system, but it's FREE so it's a good thing).  I bought some wool roving and after a few balls, it's sitting in a box waiting for some more inspiration and perspiration (it takes WORK to get those balls formed - no nasty puns please).  I did knit up some clogs and a purse using cascade 220 peruvian wool yarn and felted them using the washing machine. I also inadvertently felted a shetland wool sweater vest that was my husbands - cut it up and turned it into a nice pillow for my couch.  It's fun - sometimes it's 'iffy' and sometimes it's a lot of work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
snoopendous
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2003 07:46:56 PM »

felting clogs and the purse sounds pretty impressive.  How'd you do that?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Trick to Covering Up Age Spots
The Nail Art Trend Is Over
Top Picks for Eye Shadow Primer
C&C Try: Apple Cider Vinegar Treatments
How to Get Christmas Tree Nails
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...