A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,519
Currently Running With Scissors:
658 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: It's a small universe floral canework resin pendants (image intense)  (Read 2748 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CohesiveChaos
CohesiveChaos.com

I've kissed alot of frogs - only found 1 prince

View Profile WWW
« on: May 21, 2009 07:48:26 PM »

I love to experiment, and when my mom brought these flowers to my house from the public market and they began to dry out, I knew I had to do something to preserve them - somehow.  And thankfully it's an experiment gone right (lord knows I have plenty that don't!) I filled canes allowed them to cure sliced them on my scroll saw and then coated each side with a thin layer of resin for extra shineyness and color clarity.

So without further ado, here are photos so you can see the prettiness, every last one of them turned out differently.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2009 07:50:51 PM by GothChics » THIS ROCKS   Logged

life is what you make it - make it art & make it beautiful
narhloki
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009 07:55:55 PM »

What a cool experiment. I love how even though it's random you can almost see images in them, like the inkblots I guess.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CohesiveChaos
CohesiveChaos.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009 08:15:22 PM »

thank you Smiley There is one in here somewhere that looks like a hummingbird and another that formed a smiley face Hard to believe it all started out as tulips, daffodils and the sort Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

boo_zombie
rubybluedesigns.etsy.com

rubybluedesigns.etsy.com

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009 08:26:06 PM »

there gorgeous !!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CHECK OUT MY ETSY!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/rubybluedesigns

http://rubybluedesigns.blogspot.com
http://www.wists.com/ruby_blue13

CURRENT SWAPS:
exstatic about eclipse - sent/waiting to recieve
ORGANISING: Two Tiny Things Fave Band Swap
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=351944
smittenheart

Let go of what's already gone..

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009 08:54:03 PM »

perfectly preserved flowers..you did great..two thumbs up on a great experiment..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

its ME!!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=327537.0

http://cowandpigdesigns.etsy.com
http://cowandpigdesigns.blogspot.com
Soap licking is dangerous..please dont try it at home

will trade some soap for a superhero cape which will be used by the kid in my avatar ^^
Acadian Driftwood
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009 09:04:42 PM »

I really like these, and the general idea of nature preserved in resin. I just added them to my wists. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Anyone have a couple extra felting needles? I'll trade for them!

Pinterest

Etsy shop
mlheran

Jack of all trades

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009 10:19:12 PM »

Shocked Those are REALLLLLY cool, love 'em!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinterest
swaps: -
ambersteele
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009 03:20:11 PM »

Ok, I'm BEGGING you, please help!!!  I've been trying for over a YEAR now to figure out how to preserve flowers with resin- I know it can be done because I've seen them for purchase, but I've been experimenting with everything I could think of (white glue, clear nail polish, clear gloss spray sealants, hairspray, clear acrylic gloss 'paint,' you name it; on both dried and fresh flowers) and every time I drop my flower (I've tried a few different kinds) into the resin, it turns a nasty brown.

Your pieces are GORGEOUS!  From the sounds of it, resin isn't the main factor in what you're doing though, right?  I'm not familiar with canes or canework, could you explain this a bit for me pretty please?  I'll be eternally grateful!!   Grin

P.S. what's the bit of blue that's in the piece in the second photo? Again, gorgeous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my photography website  http://www.ambersteele.com

Be true to yourself and you will never fall. -Beastie Boys
CohesiveChaos
CohesiveChaos.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2009 04:27:45 PM »

I think the real 'trick' is to dry the flowers fast.  Some flowers don't dry well and naturally start turning brown.  I have a friend that has one of those dryer 'shoe & sweater' racks for her clothes dryer and I know she dries flowers out on it with good success.  I don't coat the flowers with anything before I add the resin but I did have to work fast, Essentially I filled a tube with flowers and sliced it after it cured, I then had to scrub and wash each piece after slicing and then applied a layer of resin to one side let it cure for a good stint of time then flipped the pieces and repeated the process. 

The blue thingies I think are dyed wheat grains.  I think of all the bits that went into the pieces those were my favorite.  Smiley
Ok, I'm BEGGING you, please help!!!  I've been trying for over a YEAR now to figure out how to preserve flowers with resin- I know it can be done because I've seen them for purchase, but I've been experimenting with everything I could think of (white glue, clear nail polish, clear gloss spray sealants, hairspray, clear acrylic gloss 'paint,' you name it; on both dried and fresh flowers) and every time I drop my flower (I've tried a few different kinds) into the resin, it turns a nasty brown.

Your pieces are GORGEOUS!  From the sounds of it, resin isn't the main factor in what you're doing though, right?  I'm not familiar with canes or canework, could you explain this a bit for me pretty please?  I'll be eternally grateful!!   Grin

P.S. what's the bit of blue that's in the piece in the second photo? Again, gorgeous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

roccstarr75
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2009 06:04:01 PM »

OMG! These are gorgeous!  They remind me of amber fossils with bits of bugs and neat-o stuff trapped inside!  Cool!  I know you probably don't need to be told to sell these, but I hope you give these the treatment they deserve (i.e. sterling silver and/or real gold).  If you can afford these to start off with, I think it would definitely  be worth it, you would have some real high class pieces here!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Achieve High Quality Using Hypercam 2
How to Overlap Sounds on Camtasia Studios.
How To Install Brushes for Photoshop
How To Hack Flash Games
How to Use Camtasia Files On Movie Maker
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...