A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,655
Currently Running With Scissors:
429 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: boring skirt --no more!  (Read 5083 times)
Tags for this thread: skirt , party_dress  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

redbricks
« on: May 20, 2009 09:01:59 PM »

EDIT

Thanks for the advice, folks!  I took the quickest, simplest method--lace at the bottom and a ribbon belt. I later added tiny loops for the belt.  I had wanted to do buttons, but they didn't work with the lace.  And finally:

lace"

side (gah, will the need to iron never cease!):

Thanks for all the help!  I'm going to use some of the ideas for a couple of other skirts I'm working on.  Hope you like it!
-----------------------

here is a 'business' skirt I made today-- I wanted it for those rare occasions when I need to really act like a grown up, but now that it is finished it just seems too plain to bear:

fabric:

Any ideas on how to dress this up?  It is a finished project as is, but I could go to sleep looking at it.  Belt? Bow? Colors?  Somebody save my skirt!

Smiley
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009 04:48:10 PM by redbricks » THIS ROCKS   Logged
sarafpool
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009 09:07:21 PM »

First of all, you have some fantastic tailoring skills. As far as dressing it up, my personal taste suggests adding a frilly lining that peeks out at the bottom, but that may ruin the 'business' of it. Hm. At least maybe that might begin a thought process?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zowiewoahie

But it's my BIRTHDAY tomorrow!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009 09:16:37 PM »

take a slip that is the same length, or even a bit longer and attach some big ruffle. Or velvet ribbon in a contrasting color. Or maybe make a waist clincher out of black satin to fancy up the top. And that way you can still have that "business professional" look and still wear it out with some flair.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lets all go to Jack Taylor's to celebrate!
Martyni
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009 02:41:48 AM »

A contrasting colour around the bottom of the skirt? A bow would make it less business-y. It looks really nice at as it is, you could always dress it up with a nice top.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shookup
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009 04:03:26 AM »

I don't recommend too much adding on that skirt, because you don't want it to become too frilly. I think maybe you can shorten it a little (your legs are ok, so if you show 'em a bit more it won't be a problem) and then add a ruffle or a strip of large knife pleats of the same fabric to the bottom hem. I think that pleats should be large but not long. Hope this help!
Anyway, if you really don't want to touch it, use the contrasting color of the stripes to match all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lafemmedramatique
Lafemmedramatique

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009 05:38:23 AM »

Being a grown up doesn't mean that you have to look frumpy!

I would say that this would look really classy with a ruffle front shirt and a red belt, but if you just can't bear to look at it as is, then you should consider adding a ruffle to the bottom.

Lots of pencil skirts come with a little ruffled hemline, and I think they look just as professional and classy, but just a touch more feminine.

I'm thinking something like this: http://simplicity.com/dv1_v4.cfm?design=2608

Also, if you're in need of more "grown up" skirts, you should check out some of the skirt patterns on burdastyle.com. I think that the Kasia, Sidonie Variation 2, and Marie would look really professional in the right fabrics. Plus 2 of them are free, and the other only costs $3.50!

Best of luck, and never sacrifice style for work! Just because it's a job doesn't mean you have to look like an old lady.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vampira_666
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009 07:14:00 AM »

I like this skirt just the way it is...but Maybe I'm just to grown up myself now that I have a kid...LOL

But I think it'd look great with pink/red (sorry it's hard to actually tell the proper colour of the pinstripes in your picture) ribbon (maybe satin) along the bottom and if you want to add a bit more flair...make a removable bow also that you can put on and take off at appropriate times!! Or even a ruffled hem on the bottom to match the red/pink stripes as well!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*~ Vampira_666 ~*
Stars_Fire_17
Drop the Yarn and no one gets hurt!

Kitten

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009 08:58:11 AM »

I think it looks nice, and I really like the colors.  Maybe you could put a band of color at the bottom (I'm pretty sure someone else said that already)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kit

"Stars, hide your fires, Let not light see my black and deep desires"
nataluna
living in the "before" picture...

strange is not a crime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2009 09:26:50 AM »

i don't think it's any more boring than the "grown up" situation may require.  but i ditto the people who said maybe a stripe of color on the bottom.  although that would limit what would match with it, so you might want to make it removable(?) if possible.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

creative criticism always appreciated!
my swaps and crafts
feministsrock

Fight! Like a girl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2009 09:53:47 AM »

My suggestion is to put a ribbon around the hipline so that it can still be seen below a shirt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Wear White Eye Makeup - Not Just for Twiggy Wannabes
How to Use a Curling Iron for Perfect Beachy Waves
How to Nail the Half Moon Manicure
Chipped Nail? Fix It Without Breaking a Sweat
How to Shape Your Nails Like a Pro
Latest Blog Articles
August 26, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Flannel Hoodie
Magical Miniatures

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...