A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,380
Currently Running With Scissors:
552 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Giving credits for resources...unprofessional?  (Read 650 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Spiffyhink
« on: May 20, 2009 01:06:40 PM »

I'm in a bit of a conundrum here at the moment. I sell digital downloads of resources for ATCs, inchies etc., most of which I've created myself in Adobe Photoshop. In a few particular pieces (which aren't for sale yet), I've used some brushes from an online source (Obsidian Dawn) that will let me use them in commercial projects in two ways:

1) I give credit to them for the brushes in every download of these pieces I sell, and pay nothing, or
2) I purchase a commercial license for $3.00/brush pack (at the moment I'm only using one)

My problem is this: if I stuck credit to them in the text that I send along with each item, per their TOS, would it seem unprofessional? I don't mind paying $3.00 in the interests of seeming more professional, but if it's not really an issue, then why do it? If you purchased something like this and saw someone giving credit as above, would it strike you as odd in any way? Or would you not think anything of it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

innocent_sheep

"take my hand, let's get famous"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009 10:20:58 PM »

Honestly, I wouldn't think anything of it if there was some credit given in the TOS.

But if you're only using one brush pack, and it's only $3.00, it might be easier just to buy a commercial license.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

loukr
Tutorial Contributor

Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle . .

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009 03:25:51 PM »

Personally, if I saw something for sale with a credit to another artist for resources, to me, it'd come across as probably being easier to do myself, than to pay for it from someone else.

Brushes are so unbelievably easy to make in PS, you may as well scan you doodles and create your own unique ones.

My opinion is probably swayed, as I never use other peoples resources simply because I don't want to have to credit them in MY work, and I'd rather know that everything I do is my own work.

Maybe it's just me being a bossy-boots.. I dunno!

Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tutorials, features, bloggyness http://www.dearestjackdaw.com/

Do you have an ever increasing pile of scraps waiting for the perfect project? Why not join in our Altered Fashions sew-along! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=354356.0
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009 11:27:15 AM »

I can understand the whole I-only-use-my-own thing, but honestly, in a lot of people's Photoshopping pics you wouldn't have a clue what brushes they used.

I would just pay the $3 to save myself the trouble of having to keep up with all the appropriate credits.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Spiffyhink
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009 01:03:47 PM »

Yeah it seems like a lot of you agree with my inclination to just go ahead and purchase the license, which I will do.

My opinion is probably swayed, as I never use other peoples resources simply because I don't want to have to credit them in MY work, and I'd rather know that everything I do is my own work.
Usually this is the way I feel, but every now and then I find that one thing that works perfectly.

I would just pay the $3 to save myself the trouble of having to keep up with all the appropriate credits.
I hadn't thought of that, but I think you're right. This way I won't have to worry about keeping up with what I used where.

Thanks for all the help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Best Holiday Gift Ideas for Mom
Spring Trend Report: Loafers
Spring Trend Report: Styling Denim Jackets
Spring Trend Report: Camo Whammo
Palmer//Harding Spring 2014 Menswear
Latest Blog Articles
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month
Tute Tuesday: Melted Crayon Painting

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...