A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 309,332
Currently Running With Scissors:
326 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How easy is it, for a crochet virgin..?!  (Read 1050 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

loukr
Tutorial Contributor

Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle . .

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: May 20, 2009 01:29:28 AM »

I'm a total crochet virgin.

(seriously.. the only thing I've ever used a crochet hook for is unblocking the sink  Embarrassed)
Bad I know, I have about a billion of the things anyway though, because I always thought I'd learn Smiley

My mum showed me once, but she only did little discs, and I thought.. what can I do with one of those?! Then I saw all the awesome AWESOME things you guys have done and it's official, I want to learn (plus there's a stitch 'n' b*tch meet at a pub veerrryyyy near to me but seeing as I can't crochet, I can't really go until I get a bit of a knack going on!).

Basically, I'm just wondering, how easy was it to pick up on your own, for those of you who have taught yourself?
And does anyone know of any good online resources to get me started? (am off to look now but incase there's any unknown beauties Smiley)

Thanks for any help Smiley Lou
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tutorials, features, bloggyness http://www.dearestjackdaw.com/

Do you have an ever increasing pile of scraps waiting for the perfect project? Why not join in our Altered Fashions sew-along! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=354356.0
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009 06:10:30 AM »

I learned how to crochet from a "Learn to Crochet" CD-Rom.  If I were to do it now, I'd go to youtube.  There are tonnes of how-to videos there.

I've been posting tutorials on the basics here on Craftster, but I've only gotten as far as the chain stitch so far.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissDisney
will you take me to gang practice? yis?

You will never guess

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009 06:40:10 AM »

i learned from a magazine! it is pretty easy to learn for some, harder for others

i cant knit for the life of me, but crochet, i make all my own patterns for....its a matter of how your brain works i think

you shouldnt have a problem learning though, if you have never knit before (i hear thats a pretty big roadblock when learning)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i think im back....9 months almost to the day but i miss art, and i missed you guys!
Naff Productions
Make things so far out they're in!

You look marvelous

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009 06:53:00 AM »

Books are good, too.  Teach Yourself Visually: Crochet by Kim Werker and Debbie Stoller's Happy Hooker are both good, basic teach yourself books.  Plus they have nice easy, beginner patterns.  I taught myself.  Just get some Red Heart Super Saver and a couple of mid-size (G, H, J) hooks and start swatching and practicing.  You'll get the hang of it.  Good Luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

naff1 (nf)  adj. Chiefly British Slang.
Unstylish, clichd, or outmoded.

naff2 (nf)  intr.v. Chiefly British Slang. naffed, naffing, naffs
To fool around or go about: naffing about in a tutu (Suzanne Lowry).
loukr
Tutorial Contributor

Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle . .

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009 10:26:05 AM »

thank you Smiley

youtube will be my first stop, then amazon!

Lou Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tutorials, features, bloggyness http://www.dearestjackdaw.com/

Do you have an ever increasing pile of scraps waiting for the perfect project? Why not join in our Altered Fashions sew-along! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=354356.0
albarinos
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009 01:08:51 PM »

Like everyone said youtube is a great resource. And check your local library, they might have some books or videos on crochet.

You'll notice really soon that crochet is basically one hand movement, that gets repeated over and over again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Selnith
Ruler of Geek

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009 01:13:33 PM »

i recommend the lion brand site, they have some awesome pdfs with nice simple diagrams, i used (and still do use actually) it to help with patterns written in other countries because there's some differences in terminology
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
ZellaBella
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009 11:02:41 AM »

i'd go with you tube also
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hbrady99
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2009 01:24:30 PM »

My mother taught me to crochet when I was 4 years old.  That amazes me now- I've tried to teach my own 5 year old daughter.  Usually the yarn just gets put away!  Cheesy

It's not hard to learn at all- much easier than knitting, I think.  I wish I had some good resources- but it kinda depends on how you learn best.  Last summer I wanted to learn to knit, so I looked for videos online and it was like an epiphany.

I think you should follow the above suggestion (sorry- I'm new to posting here so I have no idea how to tell exactly who said it) and get some cheapy yarn and hooks and just give it a try.  The good thing about crochet is you can easily pull out the stitches you've done and start over- so that skein of yarn will last your abuse.  And go to the pub anyway- I'm sure someone will be willing to help you out!  I would  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star. - Nietzsche

www.geekcrafts.com
OliviaNicole
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2009 09:54:13 AM »

Crocheting for Dummies is an awesome book for learning. I learned a lot of stuff from it.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Add Flavor to Plain Rice
How to Make Rice Pilaf
How to Steam Rice
How to Store Rice
Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Toddler Teething Cookies
@Home This Weekend: Art Caddy
Everyone needs more fiber!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...