A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,069
Currently Running With Scissors:
613 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Men's gloves - vintage pattern  (Read 915 times)
Tags for this thread: gloves , pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

isfive
« on: May 19, 2009 08:50:19 AM »

I finished my first pair of gloves tonight. Finally. These ended up being way more difficult than I anticipated when I began the project (this is nothing unusual for me). I made the gloves for my husband, who is in the army and loves history. So when I found a vintage WW2 British Army glove pattern from the V&A Museum website http://www.vam.ac.uk/images/image/13027-popup.html, I had to use it. But as I read the pattern, I discovered the gloves were knit flat, then sewn up. Seams in every finger didn't seem like a good idea for the guy who rips the tags out of all his t-shirts because they bug him, so I decided to try to work these in the round on a circular needle rather than flat. That calls for more pattern-writing and interpreting skills than I had, so it was rough going for a while. I also added a buttonhole in the right index finger so Chris can use the gloves on the range and out in the field -- it'll allow him to uncover his trigger finger without having to take off his gloves.

Here's the seamless modification for the pattern. Please leave any questions or requests for clarification in the comments -- I can never tell how my notes sound to someone else.

15st26rows = 2 in

cast on 60
2x2 rib for 36 rounds
round: p1m1k1m1 with first 2 stitches of round, working 2x2 seed stitch, m1p1m1k1 with last 2 stitches of round
work 5 rounds 2x2 seed/moss (remember to k2p2 for 2 rows, then switch to p2k2)
round: p1m1k1m1 with first 2 stitches of round, working 2x2 seed stitch, m1p1m1k1 with last 2 stitches of round
work 20 rounds 2x2 seed/moss (27 rounds total)
round 54: work in 2x2 to last 8, place next 16 on waste yarn
round 55: rejoin and work in 2x2 for 15 rounds
work 21 st (18 st. for right glove) in pattern, place 13 st on waste yarn, work rest of round

work 5 more rounds

1st finger:
slip 7 stitches onto dpn. put next 14+12 st on holder, slip remaining 6 st on 2nd dpn (these should be at the front and back of the round -- take 7 from the front of the round, place next 26 on holder, then slip last 6 of round)
pick up 3 st. between last st. of round and 1st st. of round using 3rd dpn, placing marker after 3 picked up stitches to mark beginning of round.. (1 round, 16 st)
knit 7, co 4 (this is on the first dpn -- the 1st 7 you slipped at beginning of round). knit to end of round (20 st). you can even out your stitches so you have 6/6/8 on your dpns. if you want.
work 28 rounds stock st.
k2tog k1 until last 2 (13 st)
knit the next round (13 st)
k1, then k2tog to end (7 st)
k7
break yarn, draw through all st.

2nd finger:
slip 7 st. onto dpn, put next 13 on holder, slip remaining 6 onto 2nd dpn
k7 co3 k6 pu4 from inside base of 1st finger
knit 30 rounds st st
decrease as for 1st finger

3rd finger
slip 7 st onto one dpn, 6 onto another
pu 3 from inside base of 2nd finger, k7, co 4, k6.
knit 28 st

4th -- work as previous 3 for 20 rounds. k2tog, k1 for round (12 st.), k12, k2tog for round (6 st), k6, draw yarn through all st.

thumb -- pick up 8 st from waste yarn on dpn, pick up 6 st. from inside of thumb opening plus 2 st. from waste yarn, pick up remaining 6 st from waste yarn plus 2 st. from thumb opening (24 st.)
work 20 rounds.
decrease: k2tog, k1 to end (15 st.)
k15
k1, then k2tog to end (8 st)
k8, draw yarn through all st.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog, ... is five
http://is-five.blogspot.com/
puppybreath

everything we do, is just everything we've done

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009 09:53:33 AM »

You found/made a great looking pattern. I like the texture on the back of the hands and love that trigger finger adjustment you made. I'm working on fingerless gloves for my husband and I can see you obviously love your husband much more than I love mine, because that was a lot of WORK!! haha! I hope he appreciates them.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

astormorray
I love looms.

just spin the yarn.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009 11:39:42 AM »

thanks for this!  It's a great looking masculine pattern!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Bake Hamburger Cupcakes
How To Make A Champagne Ganache Tart
How to Make Balsamic and Raspberry Semifreddo
How to Make the Perfect Carrot Cake
How to Make Tangy Rhubarb Fool with Farm Fresh Cream
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...