A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,088
Currently Running With Scissors:
557 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Red 50's Prom Dress! Butterick 4919  (Read 8282 times)
Tags for this thread: party_dress , prom_dress  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

muffinsgomoo
« on: May 18, 2009 09:17:47 PM »

I think this is my first topic, despite having an account for the longest time.

On to the craft. I decided to make my dress for my senior prom. Very bold, considering I had never used a pattern before and certainly had never made such a major article of clothing. It was a bit stressful. I put it all off until a few weeks before the dance. Bad idea-- if there's one thing I (should) have learned in high school, it's to do things in a timely manner. With AP testing, assignments, and clubs, it's hard to avoid. I had Momma hem and do the zipper the school day before, so I can't take all the credit. My friends seemed to like that I made my dress. Hopefully it wasn't just out of courtesy. It was definitely worth it Smiley Prom queen with a DIY dress!

Side view. The back pieces extend to criss-cross on the front, then tie on the back.

If I could have changed something, I probably would have cinched another row on the straps a few inches below the gathers. I'm not so well endowed up there, so opening up the neckline would have helped  Wink
Thanks for looking!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009 09:28:38 PM by muffinsgomoo » THIS ROCKS   Logged
redbricks
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009 09:28:39 PM »

great job!  It looks beautiful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Christinadavinci
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009 09:38:05 PM »

How cool is that?!?!  It is beautiful and you look great!  I have been eyeing that pattern as a possible wedding dress whenever that wonderous day comes!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
E.J.
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009 01:31:53 AM »

Hi there,
I have also been watching this pattern for ages but I've avoided it for exactly the same reasons that you mention you would change.  I'm also not that well endowed up top and always imagined it would just swim on me but it looks great on you and looks like it would only take a few small adjustments to fit the top in a bit more.
I love the way it wraps around the waist.  I's love to make the short version and wear it with a petticoat to puff it out a bit like it is in the picture.
The colour that you chose is also lovely.  Did you find the dress difficult to put together? I imagine it would be a bit tricky, especially with shinny fabric.  But most importantly with long glamourous dresses like this, was it fun to wear? It certainly looks like it was.  You have done a great job, congratulations Smiley
Also congrats on prom queen, well done! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissJessica
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009 05:27:11 AM »

Congratulations! On prom queen and a fabulous dress. I love the material. It almost looks like vinyl its so shiny. Well done! (And I don't think your friends were just being polite.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amazing_784
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009 05:09:38 PM »

I've wanted to make this pattern for a long time, but didn't know how it would look in real life.  Sometimes the drawings are much more stylized than what the pattern will look like in real life.  Anyway, great job!  Beautiful fabric too.  Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

charmingflaws
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009 11:18:02 PM »

Wow it looks great! Good job. I wish I had made my prom dress.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafts, inspiration and small business adventures: halfcraftstudio.wor dpress.com
julietalpha
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009 11:43:36 PM »

What a stunning dress!  I love the pattern you chose and the colour/fabric is gorgeous.  It fits you quite well too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

So much to make, so little time!
RockDragon
Slayer of Dragons with Rocking Crafts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2009 09:56:37 AM »

Gorgeous!  It looks fantastic and very classy Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elizabethsmommy
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2009 09:47:59 PM »

The dress is absolutely stunning! You did a fantastic job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Have Great Post-Workout Hair
How to Have Great Beach Hair
How to Choose Hair Color
How to Choose the Best Hairstyles for an Oval Face
How to Get Rid of Ingrown Hairs
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...