A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,087
Currently Running With Scissors:
763 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What is the best diecut machine? Cricut, Pazzles, Wishblade ?  (Read 6848 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

london713
« on: May 18, 2009 07:13:47 PM »

I have been researching and I am having a hard time finding recent reviews etc.  I like the idea of a printer type that attaches to a PC.   What are the limitations of these machines?  I have heard that the wishblade is good but can't handle card stock, that the cricut is limited by the cartridges and I can find any real reviews on the pazzles only that everyone wants one and doesn't have it?

Any help please! By birthday is coming and last year my birthday was skipped (I was pregnant and due 1 week after my birthday) so my dh wants to get me something I really want (my last bday was my 30th so I missed a big one).

I'd mostly make cards that I sell but I also sew, make books and paper sculpture.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dsam4701
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009 04:28:49 PM »

I just bought the QuicKutz Silhouette SD and I love it.

I like the fact that I don't have to buy an expensive cartridges.  The machine comes with 50 images already installed. You can also go to the companies web site and buy images on line for about $2.00 each. That way you get exactly what you want.

Also, you can upload your own images to cut (or draw).

I bought mine from QVC, along with the machine I got

1. $25 download gift card (to purchase images)
2. Black Adhesive Vinyl
3. Transfer Paper
4. Adhesive Backed 4" X 8" Cardstock
5. Etching Cream

Not bad for $240
THIS ROCKS   Logged
marsilver
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009 08:43:04 PM »

I have a Cricut Expression which uses cartridges but also has the ability to connect to your computer. There is a program called Sure Cuts A Lot that allows you to cut with your Cricut any font or SVG file that you download or create. So, the possiblities are endless. There are lots of free files online and lots that are very reasonably priced. The size of the Cricut Expression is very nice also, it cuts up to 12x24. There is also a deep cut blade that will cut chipboard, magnetic sheeting, foam, felt, etc.
The cheapest price I've found for the expression is at AC Moore or Walmart. The cheapest price for Sure Cuts A Lot (SCAL) is $59.99 at http://store.candacraft.com/Page-Store_1.aspx. I hope that helps!

Marie
THIS ROCKS   Logged
emplosion
random manic crafter

... i tried ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009 02:21:37 AM »

I was looking to the PC based ones, but ended up with a Cuttlebug because it's portable. I don't spend a lot of time crafting etc on my computer, and didn't want to have to go upstairs to the computer every time I wanted something.  Plus I like being able to take it anywhere. I buy my sizzix dies on ebay and they aren't too expensive.

But it is all personal choice - the PC based ones look good for the variety of dies available.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lylacfey
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009 07:16:32 AM »

Pazzles and the Cricut are pretty much the same machine.  They were made by the same designer.  The difference between the Pazzles and the Cricut is that the Cricut has the key overlay for our cartridges.  Pazzles also has some nicer tools like a Needle Punch tool. We can't use that on our Cricut because it is software based.  We can use other Pazzles tools like the Deep Cut Blade, Embossing Blade, Pen Holder, Etc... 

Wishblade does cut cardstock to 70lb weight.  So you can not cut Bazzill unless you cut it several times.  I have a Wishblade and a Cricut.  I bought my Wishblade first for the Print and Cut feature. Then the Print and Cut feature is wonky too.  You can use the Wishblade, CraftRobo, Silhouette cutters with Linux.  You need a Windows based program for Cricut and Pazzles.  I think Pazzles runs on Mac but I am not sure.  Cricut also runs on MAC with Sure Cuts Alot (SCAL).  I don't know if ProvoCraft released a Design Studio for Mac but you can use Design Studio with Windows. 

I love my Cricut.  I have the big Expressions. I also have the Baby Bug.  I am a long time Cricut user. I had one when they first came out. That is why I have the Baby Bug. Smiley

I do love the cartridges but I use SCAL all the time.  I like the freedom of using carts and my own designs.  I do love the character cartridges like Hello Kitty, Disney Princesses and Pooh.  ProvoCraft is releasing a DC cartridge this Summer or Fall. 

I also have the Cuttlebug.  I love it for embossing.  I have many die cuts from Sizzix that I have bought for a steal.  Example $10 die's for $1.  The embossing is "Wow!" with the Cuttlebug but there are frugal ways to emboss with the folders like rolling pins, pasta machines, wall paper rollers, etc...

If you are looking for something portable don't exclude the Slice.  I have that machine too. I really don't have an addiction.  I love my little Slice machine. 

I have a few other die cutting machine's.  I really don't have an addiction, lol.  I have a Big Kick.  The Big Kick & Cuttlebug are the same machine per se.  The Big Kick has 6000 pounds of pressure to Cuttlebug's 3000.  I prefer to use the Big Kick for my heavy materials like flannel, leather & cork.  I use the CB for embossing.

I also have the Xyron Personal Cutting System.  It is really no longer made but it is a cute machine I have a lot of fun creating die cuts with. 

Any questions don't be afraid to ask.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/97658832@N05/

My Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/gelyafey/

Organize your life around your dreams and watch them come true.
NiinaMaria

Crafter by accident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009 07:02:31 AM »

My birthday isn't until November but I have decided to buy myself a die cut machine. I have no intention of using cartridges but would I rather do my own design (read: feed my font addiction). However I have a Mac. I guess I could buy the SCAL to use with the Cricut machine. First I thought of getting the Wishblade but I only found bad reviews for it and the replacement blades and mats are ridiculously overpriced. Maybe the paper craft gods will smile and create Completely Mac- compatible Cricut. Now that would be a bliss Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lylacfey
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009 06:56:20 AM »

Keep hoping on that Cricut dream NiinaMaria.  Smiley Grin  I think a lot of people are waiting for a Mac Cricut Machine.  I know over at the Cricut board it is a huge grumble.  CHA is in a couple of weeks and the only thing ProvoCraft looks like they are releasing are a new version of Design Studio that is like a NetBook and some more cartridges. 

My advice go for a Pazzles or a Gazelle.  I love to design too.  That is why I have the wonky Wishblade that will not Print & Cut.  I sent an e-mail to Xyron tonight hoping they can help me.

SCAL is a really nice program for the Cricut. I think it cuts quieter.  The WB is LOUD!

I got the Cricut's as gifts.  I do like that if I want to cut out Hello Kitty I do not have to design her first.  I did make my own beautiful HK cut recently. I had so much fun doing that.  It took me three hours to get all those little details. 

The Gazelle, Pazzles & Cricut can do more than the other die cutters like Silhouette, Wishblade or CraftRobo.  Now, there are some major ones that will cut anything but they cost $1,000 on up.

Sometimes I am tempted to sell all my cutters and get a Pazzles.  I do like a lot of my cartridges.  Saves me a ton of money in punches.  I get them really cheap or hit up everybody to give them to me as gifts.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/97658832@N05/

My Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/gelyafey/

Organize your life around your dreams and watch them come true.
scrappygirl085
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2009 07:07:09 AM »

When I got my Cricut a few years ago (I have the original one)  I sold my Sizzix on ebay.  I like that I don't have to store all of those huge dies! I don't use it as much as alot of people -- I didn't know about the SCAL program, that's pretty cool -- but it's great for cards and the kids projects for school. They love that their posterboard titles are always perfect!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
scripturegirl
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009 07:15:12 AM »

I need to find cross shapes??? Do any of the cricut cartridges have cross or angel wings or anything inspirational???
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mistlily
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2009 06:58:34 PM »

I have a Cricut Expression which uses cartridges but also has the ability to connect to your computer. There is a program called Sure Cuts A Lot that allows you to cut with your Cricut any font or SVG file that you download or create. So, the possiblities are endless. There are lots of free files online and lots that are very reasonably priced. The size of the Cricut Expression is very nice also, it cuts up to 12x24. There is also a deep cut blade that will cut chipboard, magnetic sheeting, foam, felt, etc.
The cheapest price I've found for the expression is at AC Moore or Walmart. The cheapest price for Sure Cuts A Lot (SCAL) is $59.99 at http://store.candacraft.com/Page-Store_1.aspx. I hope that helps!

Marie

I love my Cricut Expression!  I just got it this week and have been a cutting fool.  SCAL is the serious Monkey-Jam.  The possibilities are endless with it and there are TONS of free files floating around to download for free cuts.  You can also cut ANT true type font you have on your PC rather than buying an alphabet cartridge/s for the cricut.  The expression also cuts vinyl for wall decor, stenciling, etc... I read that it can cut thin fabric too for making appliques.  I <3 my cricut.  My husband thinks it is cool too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I believe more in scissors than I do in the pencil."--Truman Capote
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
BBQ Chicken Pizza Recipe
Chicken Chili Recipe
Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
Mac and Cheese with Smoked Bacon and Chips Recipe
Quick Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...