A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,583
Currently Running With Scissors:
487 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Patterns.  (Read 1209 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BrookOwens
crafts made with love and lots of cussing...

I never knew why kid! I NEVER KNEW!!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: May 18, 2009 06:27:58 PM »

So I went to JOanns when they were having their $.99 sale on patterns. I picked up quite a few of cute ones, mostly vintage inspired dresses and skirts... Before I got all crazy and bought the fabric I really looked at the sizing... Not one would fit me!!! Even the larger sizes. I am a size 18 in everyday wear and was wondering if there is any cute 1940's - 1950's style skirts and dresses that you guys have used that would work for me. Also I looked at the "plus size" section and I didn't like anything they had most of it looked like old lady stuff... To say the least I felt like a beached whale...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://brookowens.etsy.com

http://brookowens.blogspot.com/

http://twitter.com/brookowens

If you live in So. California (LA,OC,SD) message me... I want to put a little craft group together!!!
soorawn
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009 10:55:57 AM »

(pats her on the back)  Welcome to the club.  I rarely find patterns on sale with sizes over size 8.  It probably is due to the fact that normal and bigger sizes get sold anyway so they don't need to do sales to get rid of them.

I like buying pattern magazines, but they are scarce where they are.  In the end I just keep checking the current Burda (when I find it) to see what they've put in the plus section (I'm in that size band).  Half of the time I don't like it and leave it.  I can't access the Burda Plus in town, so from time to time I subscribe for a couple of issue to receive them at home.  I've just done it - two issues.  They'll send them along one whole year and I'm impatient to get hold of the first one.
That's the cheapest way of getting patterns ban making your own, which I not always am in the mood of doing.
By the way, 18 is not that big.  It's just that designers are a bunch of manics.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects for 2011:  15/50
Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009 09:46:00 AM »

Hi, there!  I'm an 18 RTW, too, and I've found that I have good luck with any patterns whose sizing goes up to a 20-22.  Typically, patterns will go up to either of those sizes (at least, Simplicity and Butterick do)...McCall's tends to top out at 18.  I still get those, though, and use Vegbees awesome tute (here:  http://indietutes.blogspot.com/2008/09/resizing-pattern.html) to size them up just that tad bit more.  It works like a charm!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
sweetestpea
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009 08:43:02 AM »

I love vintage inspired clothing as well but I agree it's difficult to find decent patterns for larger women. Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cheyenneswthrt07
I cann't quiet the creative monkey in my head!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009 09:48:50 AM »

I love vinatage patterns too, I think I've bought them all so far lol.  Few things I've noticed, Vintage Vogue runs tight, I made one dress that the bodice fit almost like a corset.  The Buttrick ones, some have more movement than others, I made one and it fit good with some extra movement space, made another and it fit tighter.   I wear a 16 RTW and find that 18 in Buttrick is what fits me.

This could be a good time to learn to do full adjustments.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Battleshipbettie
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009 10:16:18 AM »

I mostly buy vintage patterns at thrift stores, I have very few that I've bought new from the store. Even when I was little in HS nothing would fit becuse of the boobs. I had to learn how to adjust everything myself. I've gotten fairly good at altering skinny girl patterns to be big girl patterns thank goodness. I wish someone would make us patterns that weren't for caftans, miu mius, tunic tops of shapeless capris. Maybe someday!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

soorawn
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009 10:43:57 AM »

I've just received the autumn-winter issue of Burda Plus and it's got some beautiful garments!  I'm thrilled and want to make a few of them!

Then you look closely and the biggest size they support is their 54 -which means 122-104-128.  Enough for me, but it isn't really Plus.  They should see the marketing possibilities of a regular mag with bigger sizes.  But I guess I'm just dreaming.  This one comes out only twice a year, I guess they might want to publish that... once every two years?
They're missing a lot of potential customers, I think.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects for 2011:  15/50
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn About the Dutch Tilt in Film Making
The Difference Between High and Low Key Lighting
Watch, Pass, or Rent: Despicable Me, The Kids Are All Right, & Predators
How to Create New Sequences Quickly in Premiere Pro CS5
What Not to Do During an Acting Audition
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...