A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,681
Currently Running With Scissors:
447 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Yarn Alternatives for SNB projects  (Read 7047 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kabili

I'm not a llama anymore!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2004 06:31:55 PM »

just wanted to say thanks to all the people who contributed to this thread! i had the same question recently, but didn't really get the answers i was looking for. but this thread is great! it's making me feel braver to try different things, even though i am a newbie to knitting.  Grin i found some cheap cotton yarn at michael's that, amazingly enough, had the perfect guage for me to try out the cell phone cozy. (i'm trying to work up to harder things slowly so i don't get discouraged!) i'm planning to have a go at the knee socks and "punk rock" backpack before moving on to some of the sweaters, but i don't think i'll use the recommended yarn for many of the projects. too much wool for a floridian!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

where are we going, and why am i in this handbasket?
tinydoom

*one of the ladies*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2004 01:32:42 PM »

Knittinkitten....Th at is a georgous sweater!

Kabili is right, this has been a great thread....thanks so much to everyone!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knittinkitten
50's housewife with a tongue piercing

A girl can never have too many scarves...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2004 04:00:13 PM »

Knittinkitten....Th at is a georgous sweater!

Why thank you!  It's the first one I ever did  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knittykat
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2004 12:35:32 PM »

Don't ever feel bad about not being able to use the 'recommended' yarn.  Although some uppity folks will look down on you for using 'craft store' yarn you should use what you like.  I only buy yarn from a yarn shop if I need 100% wool like for felting, and then I don't use the expensive stuff anyway.  I started knitting in college and had zilcho bucks and I'm still on a budget and I can't see spending $200 on a sweater--handmade or not.  

If anyone goes over to www.knittersreview. com there is a thread about the most yarn ever spent on a project.  It is amazing some people have spent $200 on a sweater and it didn't turn out and now it is a cat bed.  Nothing against pampering the cat...but my point (and the point of others on the board) is that sometimes the most expensive projects are the ones that don't turn out!  I think of that when I feel bad because I blanch at the idea of spending even $50 on a sweater to knit--I just don't have that kind of money for a hobby.

For those of you who have used Red Heart and found it itchy--I have heard from someone who knows these things that if you wash the living heck out of it it will soften up.  Red Heart is designed a) to feel sort of like wool, as in scratchy and stiff and b) stand up to absolute washing machine hell.  Wash that scarf over and over, hey, you're not wearing it anyway, and it will probably soften up for you!  Try some fabric softener--it can't hurt.

The Thrifty Princess
Kat
THIS ROCKS   Logged
abricot
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2004 01:43:29 PM »

Someone please tell me, I am not the only one... My local "chain" craft stores (Michael's, Joann's, etc.)  are really terrible at keeping a decent yarn stock... I mean it is not uncommon to walk-in and find half the baskets on the aisle empty....

With that said... LYS's tend to be small and filled to the brim with yarns... Which can be overwhelming to see *everything* but I noticed that a few brands are not *that much* more costly than a craft store brand and they often have deals on discontinued/leftovers from a dye lot/etc. yarn randomly dispersed throughout the store.... and trying to find those "deals" is nothing less than an Indiana Jones style adventure....  Wink

Unfortunately, I do not own a car, so it is difficult for me to make the 40min+ trip to the shops in San Francisco... So I've been known to purchase quite a bit of yarn on Ebay.... If you are not picky about having a label, you can find some good deals on un-labeled/by the pound yarn... Just avoid buying any chenille or boucle, unless you can know for 100% sure that it is designed for hand knitting.... There is quite a bit of it on Ebay that is better suited for machine knitting and while it could be hand knit, let me tell you that it is a royal-pain-in-the-butt to try to hand knit with it....  Tongue

For those of you who have used Red Heart and found it itchy--I have heard from someone who knows these things that if you wash the living heck out of it it will soften up.  Red Heart is designed a) to feel sort of like wool, as in scratchy and stiff and b) stand up to absolute washing machine hell.  Wash that scarf over and over, hey, you're not wearing it anyway, and it will probably soften up for you!  Try some fabric softener--it can't hurt.

I know (from spotting stuff at thrift stores, a friend owning it, etc...) that it is at some point possible for stuff like Red Heart to eventually soften up a bit (presumably after a million washings)... Maybe we should do a Craftster Knitter's scientific study on how one could age/soften acrylics.....  Wink I've seen "softeners" to wash wool sweaters in to make them softer, maybe there is something for synthetic clothing?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lovely Craaaft! Wonderful Craaaft! Lovely Craaaft! Wonderful Craft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. <--- sing to the tune of the "Spam" song....
Midtowner

Where did I put that needle/bead/yarn...

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2004 05:29:02 AM »

Someone please tell me, I am not the only one... My local "chain" craft stores (Michael's, Joann's, etc.)  are really terrible at keeping a decent yarn stock... I mean it is not uncommon to walk-in and find half the baskets on the aisle empty....

Yep, Rox, this happens to me too.  The craft stores are fine for getting a scarf worth of yarn, but a sweater's worth can be a challenge.  That said, I've had good luck with calling around for a specific yarn and having the store hold it for me -- IF it's in stock.

I wanted to make an afghan with Lion Brand Homespun, and there wasn't enough quantity.

As for the amount I'll spend on yarn, I think $50 is about my limit for a sweater's worth of yarn right now.  Given how long it is taking me to knit sweater, if I look at knitting as entertainment, the cost-to-time spent ratio is pretty affordable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tinygoatstacker

Why can't puffins eat pancakes instead?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2004 03:16:58 PM »

I work at Hobby Lobby, and it's a (dumb   Tongue ) store policy to keep only 3 to 5 skeins of each yarn color in stock.  Usually, they're of differing dye lots. The people who came up with this policy obviously know little about knitting.  So, if you're planning on using chain store yarn for a bigger project than a scarf, it's a good idea to check if they can special order yarn for you.  Rainchecks are also nice when yarn's on sale, but there are few skeins to be found.  
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bumblebees, bumblebees... tiny and small, tiny and small....
tinydoom

*one of the ladies*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2004 12:52:48 PM »

I had pretty good luck at Michael's (in Framingham, MA).  I was actually able to get 8 skiens of the same color of wool-ease (navy blue)...I was shocked!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cbradio
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2004 01:10:04 PM »

I used the Bulry Spun yarn for the Cape Mod pattern and it turned out really well.  I think someone else had used the Lion Brand Thick and Quick, which I've worked with but not on this project, and I also like that yarn.  

I'm getting ready to go to law school and the cost of a lot of my favorite hobbies is begining to freak me out.  Patterns call for expensive yarn.  Renting darkroom time is expensive, but buying my own chemicals and enlarger would be even more so.  I know I won't have as much time for all this stuff once I'm back in school, but I don't want to loose access to them because of money.  I feel you pain, well I will in 5 months.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When God made the arse, he didn't say, 'Hey, it's just your basic hinge, let's knock off early.' He said, 'Behold ye angels, I have created the arse. Throughout the ages to come, men and women shall grab hold of these, and shout my name!
Crystal
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2004 02:58:15 PM »

Sadly, I used an alternative yarn for the SnB Alien Illusion Scarf. It feels fantastic, has great drape and was a PLEASURE to knit. The Sad part is that I went with a MORE EXPENSIVE yarn.

Inca Alpaca in black and Berocco Softwist in Red.... a few bucks more than good old brown sheep.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2004 03:01:13 PM by Crystal » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get a Canvas Ready for Oils Paints
How to Paint Skies with Oil Paints
How to Paint on a Canvas with Oil Paints
How to Paint Trees Using Oil Paints
How to Paint Landscapes with Oil Paints
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...