A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,707
Currently Running With Scissors:
687 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Yarn Alternatives for SNB projects  (Read 8015 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tinydoom

*one of the ladies*

View Profile WWW
« on: February 23, 2004 05:59:27 AM »

This may have been discussed before, if so I apologize.  Just the other day I found out my car needed $800 worth of work *surprise--YIKES--swoon*.  Needless to say I won't be doing much in the next months besides staying home and knitting/crafting.  My problem is some of the yarn in SNB is a bit on the pricey side, especially considering the car repair bill.  I was wondering if anyone had any luck using a less expensive yarn on any of the projects.  I am open to any and all suggestions.
Thanks much!   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wingedorange
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2004 06:39:46 AM »

I'm currently doing the To Dye For sweater (sans dying) in Bernat Soft Boucle...got the right gauge on size 13s and everything. And it's a really quick knit...I've got about a quarter of the back done in about an hour of knitting. Smiley

Hope that helped somewhat...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wingedorange.net
Because if oranges had wings, they would fly.
melidomi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2004 06:49:51 AM »

Let's see... i've made at least 3 SnB projects, and I haven't used the "right" yarn on any of them.  (yarn selection where I live is pretty slim)  You just have to make sure it's the same gauge.  I did the umbilical cord baby hat in Lion brand 'kitchen cotton' that I just had laying around.  I did the alien illusion scarf in what I could find at michael's in the right weight yarn.  And I did the to dye for sweater in a totally different yarn and just made sure my gauge was right.  They all turned out pretty well.  So go for it!  Just make sure the yarn you buy feels nice so that you'll actually wear your finished project.  It's not really a deal if your finished product just sits in a drawer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sgolard

Help me! Can't stop!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2004 02:57:36 PM »

And for inexpensive yarn ... try ebay.

Shelley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"A girl's best friend is her mutter"_Dorothy Parker_
My Blog - http://www.yarn-babe.blogspot.com
My Etsy shop - http://knitmoi.etsy.com
tinygoatstacker

Why can't puffins eat pancakes instead?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2004 11:03:30 PM »

I've had lots of luck with Lion Brand Wool-ease. It comes in sizes from sport to bulky & is fairly cheap (& it tends to go on sale often).  I'm going to use the sportweight & some regular elastic thread for the knee socks. I made the Coney Island scarf with Lion fun fur & Red Heart Kids varigated yarn.  Lion Jiffy works for the umbilical hat.
I started the Alien scarf with Red Heart Supersaver... but the gauge is pretty tight & it's rather itchy & very flat (doesn't hang well). I'm splurging on the recommended wool.
If there are locally owned yarn stores by you, check the markdown areas- you can find great stuff for small projects!
Sorry about your car...  Sad I'm kind of in the same situation- i bought a used car over the summer- and 2 weeks later the engine blew out(on it's own free will)  I've grown to love cheapo yarn out of necessity Smiley  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bumblebees, bumblebees... tiny and small, tiny and small....
tinydoom

*one of the ladies*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2004 06:05:56 AM »

Thanks so much for all the hints.  Everyone around here is so great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

geekgirl
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2004 06:07:32 AM »

Try http://www.smileysyarns.com/ for great deals on yarn- I  haven't ordered from them yet but I'm sure I will (being a on a grad student's knitting budget). I know people who have ordered tons of yarn from them and it is much less expensive then even the local chain craft store.

My other recommendation would be thrift stores- I've found some stray bags of yarn there that I've only paid a couple bucks for. But this is hit or miss. Usually the colors are retro (oranges, greens, browns, yellows) which I love anyway!

Beware of ebay- I have purchase a ton of other stuff successfully on ebay but when I started buying yarn I got stiffed on a couple auctions. Then an other yarn auction I won I paid a little too much so it wasn't worth it. There are a lot of great yarn lot deals- but be careful about how much you end up paying and check out how much the yarn is worth retail.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

raine
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2004 08:41:31 AM »

I can never find the brand of yarn that is recomended for knitting projects (probably because I live in Canada), so I always substitute. Its a bit trickier because you have to make sure you get close to the right gauge, but after a while that becomes easy to figure out.
I have been buying my yarn from elann (www.elann.com), which I think is mentioned somewhere in SNB. They sell nice yarns at discount prices. Things sell fast, so you have to keep your eye on the what's new page to buy the new yarns in the colours you want as soon as they come out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittinkitten
50's housewife with a tongue piercing

A girl can never have too many scarves...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2004 05:43:19 PM »

I needed only three balls of Katia Ingenua for a small size of the "To Dye For Sweater" - total cost for the yarn was about $24, which is super cheap for a sweater

THIS ROCKS   Logged

ziza
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2004 06:08:27 PM »

I used Baabaajoe's woolpak 8 ply for the Go w/everything sweater. I only needed 2 1/2 skeins for a large cause they're HUGE. (the skeins)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Meet Fitness Guru Susan Powter
A Taste of Colored Water Book Trailer
Meet Author Josh Frank
Michael Meyer Talks About The Year That Changed The World
Roberta Gately Talks About Lipstick in Afghanistan
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
I See London; I See France!
Meatless Monday: Zucchini Pineapple Loaf

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...