A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 302,543
Currently Running With Scissors:
543 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Kimiko shrug  (Read 2475 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ShoelessJane
« on: July 24, 2010 11:17:47 PM »

All of my projects seem to have backstories.

Here's this one: I had an infestation of carpet beetles.  They ate holes in some of my favorite sweaters.  Some of the sweaters I'm frogging, and will joyously use the yarn elsewhere (or so I tell myself, to take the sting out of it).  Some of them can be darned, but I'm not very good at darning.

The most important sweater is the one I got married in.  It's in iffy shape: too many holes to wear, but the holes are small, so someone with appropriate yarn and skill could fix it.  That person's just not me.

Then I saw this: http://dresdencodak.com/2010/07/10/dark-science-03/
Perfect!  My sweater's a ribbed mock turtleneck, most of the damage happens below the armpit line, and cutting off the bottom will give me plenty of yarn to fix the one hole above! 

Only, I'm not sure I quite dare to cut up my wedding sweater.  Also, I'm not sure an overbust shrug will be flattering on me.  So I dug through the "damn bugs!" pile, and found ANOTHER mock turtle, with most of the damage happening below the armpit line, and a minimum of sentimental value! Win!

oh, and it's way more damage than mere darning could fix, so there's no guilt there, either.  (that elbow is the worst of it, but there are many more holes throughout--but mostly on the bottom half)

I cut off the sleeves and body about an inch below the armpit, and then kept pulling threads until one yarn made it all the way across/around (making sure the edges were even).

When I tried it on, it was too big, so I took in both the sleeves and the body, which means they don't end at armpit level anymore, but a little below.

I started with a tapestry needle and one of the threads I'd pulled, stitching through the live knit stitches to secure them, but it's a crazy-fine knit, so I gave up.  I tried machine zig-zagging over the edge, but that stretched it out so it kind of ruffled.  So I gave up, turned 1/4" under and machine hemmed it. Or part of it.  I got impatient, so only one sleeve is hemmed. Finally, I cut up the front and sewed a zipper in.

(apologies for crappy webcam, insufficient lighting, dopey expressions)
 I like it!  It's cute and it was pretty easy, but it's seriously SF.  I look significantly more like a Star Trek extra than I'm really comfortable with.

It still needed work: The sweater stretched slightly when I sewed the zipper in, so the zipper buckled instead of lying flat.  My crappy machine hemming left a hem that kind of bubbles and curls.  Also, taking in the body and sleeves means it extends a bit longer than the armpit-length I had in mind.

I used grosgrain ribbon as a hem tape, to stabilize and give a nice crisp line.  I'm already wishing I'd used a wide elastic, the ribbon used on the sleeves (for example) is a bit looser than it needs to be, which makes the sleeve stand out.   I also re-sewed the zipper, so it buckles less.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010 05:42:19 PM by ShoelessJane » THIS ROCKS   Logged
ShoelessJane
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010 05:43:13 PM »

updated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Stars_Fire_17
Drop the Yarn and no one gets hurt!

Kitten

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010 03:20:36 AM »

What a fantastic idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kit

"Stars, hide your fires, Let not light see my black and deep desires"
RaraAvis
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010 12:55:23 PM »

Looks great! Cheesy I may have to try this with a few sweaters that are too short on me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rottenlittleboys

Inspiration without application is moot.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010 03:23:42 PM »

Such an awesome shrug.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010 04:43:20 PM »

So you added the hem tape on the zipper to make it lay flatter? Becasue I have a sweater that I added a zipper into and it did the same bunching weirdness that yours did. And your updated pictures look so much better I think it would fix my sweaters problem too.
As to your wedding sweater perhaps doing something similar to this would work:
http://adventuresindressmaking.blogspot.com/2009/12/essential-blue-jean-mending-method.html
Only instead of interfacing for denim buy a knit interfacing so it can stretch. Smiley I don't know you could test it somewhere that's not noticeable so if it doesn't work it's not a big deal.
I actually like the little shrug you came up with. I don't think it's to sci-fi.  maybe if it was more open in the front you'd like it better? Or perhaps with less of a collar? I don't know just some ideas. I find sometimes if you know why you don't like something you can change it to make it something you like.
I think your sewing is great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ShoelessJane
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010 09:10:33 PM »

So you added the hem tape on the zipper to make it lay flatter? Becasue I have a sweater that I added a zipper into and it did the same bunching weirdness that yours did.

Not exactly.  The hem tape is only around the edges--the hem and cuffs--to keep them from rolling, since the knit is so fine I don't really want to pick up the stitches and knit a couple rows of ribbing.

What I did with the zipper was pull it out entirely, and then very carefully pin it back in without stretching the sweater *at all*.  One book I've looked at suggests doing this on a dress form, so that the sweater is stretched exactly as it will be when you're wearing it.  The rippling is caused by the zipper being longer than the space it's actually supposed to occupy.

In this case, between the first and second attempts, I removed almost an inch of zipper.

I thought about using the sewing machine darning, but the wedding sweater is a chunkier knit, and it would really show.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2010 08:20:11 PM »

So you added the hem tape on the zipper to make it lay flatter? Becasue I have a sweater that I added a zipper into and it did the same bunching weirdness that yours did.

Not exactly.  The hem tape is only around the edges--the hem and cuffs--to keep them from rolling, since the knit is so fine I don't really want to pick up the stitches and knit a couple rows of ribbing.

What I did with the zipper was pull it out entirely, and then very carefully pin it back in without stretching the sweater *at all*.  One book I've looked at suggests doing this on a dress form, so that the sweater is stretched exactly as it will be when you're wearing it.  The rippling is caused by the zipper being longer than the space it's actually supposed to occupy.

In this case, between the first and second attempts, I removed almost an inch of zipper.

I thought about using the sewing machine darning, but the wedding sweater is a chunkier knit, and it would really show.

Aw bummer on the wedding sweater. I hope you get it figured out.

Thanks for the tip on the sweater zipper fix. I do have a mannequin so I can do that! Great idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Off Book: The Art of Typography
Architect Mark Wigley Says Data Visualization Is the New Art
A Workshop For Peace
Audio Speakers Installed in Hollowed Tree Trunks
Upside Down Fan Built Using a Helicopter
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...