A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,130
Currently Running With Scissors:
530 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: anybody tried making a bra?  (Read 3488 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

girrrlychild
« on: May 17, 2009 09:29:38 AM »

i keep thinking i should just cut my boobs off.  or, well, have someone else cut them off for me.  *hehe*

i want to make a bra.  unfortunatly, the few bra patterns i can find (online only, so i can't even read the back of the envelope or snoop through the pattern...grrrr) are too small for me.  i can alter a pattern, but i'm not sure about trying to alter the cup.  i can buy a freaking 40DDD bra for $15 just about anywhere anymore, why would i bother to make one?  what i CAN NOT buy (at least, not anywhere that i can try it on, and not for any too cheap) is a 44 or 46 J that doesn't look (and usually feel) like a mid-evil torture device that covers me from belly button to collar bone (ok, that may be an exageration) and itches like no other (that's not, those "heavy duty" fabrics give me a rash).

and i can't find a strapless, even longline bra, for bigger than a G cup.  in my experience, a strapless bra with cups more than maybe one size too small tend to flip over, and a band that's too big just kind of runs away (cuz i could get like a 48 G and the cups might be workable, but the band too big....and i'm iffy about trying to alter something i spent $40 or more on and don't have experience making something similar to.)

i realize something skimpier or strapless is going to lack the support that the monsters have.  but sometimes i find a really cute shirt or dress that won't even begin to conceal the monsters, and those things look extra stupid sticking out of a sexy/low cut/skimpy top.  i just want something that will pull the girls up and in a little bit and keep me from knocking people out if i decide to dance/run/ride my bike.  i tend to just not wear a bra most of the time, or if i do, i just wear a sports bra to keep people from going "look at that slob, she's not wearing a bra".

i bought some fabric and elastic to attempt to make a bandeau style top in hopes of coming up with something workable for the summer....but the only discussion/instruction i've found related to making those was for little girls.  like, 32/34 A/B teenagers that probably look about the same with or without a bra on.

so, um, anybody have any ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Alexus1325
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009 01:47:59 PM »

Wow, I have no idea what those monster-things you describe even look like! Maybe you could make a bustier with 2- or 3- piece cups? (you said you want strapless, right?). Like, lightly boned around the ribs and maybe a stiffer fabric for the cups? I'm sorry to say I don't know much about that sort of lingerie, and have no idea how viable an option that is.

You could make a sweetheart-style corset (they don't smoosh the boobs so much as hold them in place). http://www.trulyvictorian.com/catalog/110.html with some major upper-half modifications could work (it only goes to just above the nipples). It's a very easy pattern in my opinion (I'm disproportionate, and it was cake to modify), at least compared to the Simplicity piece of poo I tried before it. Ducting/cable ties, industrial zip ties, or plastic lumber strapping work for boning if you have a cheap/free source. Lumber strapping is the most hardcore (they won't flex over your boobs very well), while zip ties are the lightest weight and suitable to the task of just supporting your figure, rather than squishing it.

I really hope you find a solution!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LMAshton
Kitchen Witch

Canada -> Sri Lanka -> New Zealand -> Singapore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009 02:32:28 AM »

Check through the Bramageddon thread - it's quite long with a LOT of links to online resources, including tutorials, supplies, and whatnot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KLKing
Sewing Mentor

"Craftophrenia"~ Dabbling in Everything!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009 02:18:55 AM »

Roll Eyes  This is really off the wall... I lived in San Francisco a few years back. Well, I had this crazy friend who just had to get herself noticed at the SF Giants baseball Games.... You guessed it! It was a bra with 2 baseball boobs! I actually made the ball cut in half out of white leather. I cut up a white leather purse. It was pieced together exactly the way the baseball is cut. Complete with red laces stitched exactly like a real baseball. This was made into a bra.
       As far as a real wearable everyday bra, no. just sewn a lot of bra cups into wedding gowns.   Do swimsuit tops count?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ivoryh1632
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012 05:01:17 AM »

I know this is an old post but I happened across it when looking for something completely different so I figured I'd chime in since I know how you feel (I wear a 36GG).

You should look on corset-making websites for bra making patterns, I don't know any off hand but I was looking into it a while back and I found a bunch on different corset-making websites, they sell the supplies there too.

If you don't care about it being not super supportive, you can make a bandu-type thing out of a large scarf or square of fabric. I learned how to do this from a belly dancer at a ren fair a while back and now use it for swim suit tops all the time. Basicly you fold the square into a triangle, tie in the front with a tight double knot between your boobs, adjust the fabric and your boobs and either tuck in the ends or tie them around your neck for a halter. If you want I can do up a tute with pics for this.

And for buying bras, I really suggest you go to www.brastop.com I know buying online without trying them on is scarry but I get all my bras from them, they go up to K cup and they have sales all the time so even with shipping and the exchange rate (they're a UK buisness) it averages out to about $20-$25 per bra and they're actually pretty and cute. They have a good fitting guide on their site but your first order you're gonna want to get a few different styles and sizes and then try them on and send back the ones that don't fit and exchange them (they have a 10% discount on exchanges to make up for the cost of return shipping), and then after that you know what size and style works for you and you can just wait till something you like is on sale and order. And they have customer reviews on the bras and the customer service ladies are all really nice and helpful if you need to e-mail them with any questions about sizing or products. I seriously can't recomend this site highly enough for someone with the big boob curse.

I hope this helped, and I really hope you find something that works for you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nofuelleft
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012 04:05:40 AM »

See if you can find on of this brand pattern ;Merckwaerdigh

They're dutch but they also sell on ebay .
They also have patterns in the big sizes
And off course there are instuctions in english  Wink

« Last Edit: April 09, 2012 04:12:58 AM by Nofuelleft » THIS ROCKS   Logged
supertink
Where's my pixiedust?

Fantastic!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012 01:42:11 PM »

Did you ever find anything?

Needle nook fabrics sells a bigger bra pattern (I wear a 34K) but I haven't tried since I like pretty ones, not industrial watermelon sacks. 
I, too, want a strapless bra that holds up. I know mine will have to be a longline since the weight should be on the body anyway and I'm okay with that. I figure I'll put heavy boning in the cups so they don't bend down under the weight the fleshballs I call boobs.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Disneyphile
Psycho_Bitch
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012 05:25:39 PM »

Making a bra isn't that difficult, I make my own bras and draft my own patterns and they hold me up (36H).
If you still haven't found anything I can draft a pattern for you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
supertink
Where's my pixiedust?

Fantastic!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012 08:33:33 PM »

Did you draft your pattern from scratch?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Disneyphile
Psycho_Bitch
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012 07:36:05 AM »

Did you draft your pattern from scratch?

I have a book that uses a drafting method that is very easy to understand, though the patterns need some adjustments for larger sizes, but I'm quite sure that would be with other drafting methods too. Unfortunately the book is in Dutch and I don't think there's a translated version, so not much help to most people.
Unfortunately it's pretty unlikely your bra will fit at the first try and there's no way to find out until your bra is finished.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Biggest Surprise You Came Across?
Modern Rites Of Passage
Modern Rites Of Passage - Coming Of Age In The Modern World
7 Things: Gina Gershon
The Evolution of Mara Dyer Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...