A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,440
Currently Running With Scissors:
463 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Gummi Bear Lampshade - and a pseudo tute  (Read 11764 times)
Tags for this thread: chandelier , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

FadingHippie
and God sees a flower...

Ruffles and Pearls... and Anthropologie Delights

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: May 16, 2009 06:06:55 PM »

Okay, so this could be a bit of a spoiler for sarahj2001... but I am just way too excited that it's done...

Quit reading NOW sarahj2001, unless you want to see this in its entirety and ruin some of the surprise...

So for the Scavenger Hunt Swap one of the 8 categories is something sweet... and sarahj2001 loves gummi bears and creative upcycled stuff for the home... so I was thinking... and poof gummi bear lamp popped in my brain - weird I know, but that seemed too much, since I don't know how to sculpt things.. so think think think... gummi bear lampshade! I knew starting off that this would be a bit more than the small that the swap requires, but come on... gummi bear lampshade... dude.

search on google... hmmm... gummi bear chandelier... gummi bear rug, hmmm... no lampshade to get ideas from... okay...

so I went to the blue box and picked up 3.75 pounds of Brach's bears, a $5 lampshade, some spray acrylic enamel gloss  that's crystal clear, some fishing line, and some jump rings - I would also later wind up using hot glue, an embroidery needle,  pliers, and scissors.

(there's a bag of food from Panera in that pic too... trust me you'll want that as well)

First I removed the shade from the lampshade I purchased. which left the shade in two pieces.

Then I figured out how many bears I wanted in a line - decided upon 14 bears - and in what pattern I wanted the bears... I decided upon ombre (clear, yellow, orange - hard to make out in the pics -, then red) - I wound up NOT using any of the green bears consequently

I then proceeded to cut lengths of fishing wire approximately 4 inches longer than the length of 14 bears.

I cut out 36 of these, I figured 9 bear lineups on each of the 4 sides would look nice on the shade

Then I started closing 72 jumprings.

After that I got out 4 solo cups and separated the gummi bears by color... and I can tell you that BY FAR orange was the most predominant color... then yellow, then clear, and then red... So I had to go out and get 2 more 1.25 pound bags of gummis....

I then attached 36 of those jumprings to 36 of the pieces of cut fishing line. I used the pliers to ensure the fishing line was pulled tightly when knotted.

I then attached the embroidery needle and started threading bears then attaching the end jumpring

and threading them...

and threading them...

once I got the hang of it, they took about 4-5 minutes a line to thread them all and attached the end jumpring. In the beginning it took a lot longer, but once you lose feeling in your left pointer finger from initially getting the bear onto the needle (before you're able to use the pliers) it goes faster Wink

After you've made 36 completed line ups woot woot! you'll be sick of gummi bears and that theme song to Gummi Bear Adventures will have went through your head at least 20 times (Gummi Bears, bouncing here and there and everywhere...)... and you'll think alcohol will make the process better, but it doesn't... you'll just wind up licking the fishing line as though it were thread...  Tongue

Next you start connecting the bear lines. There should be 10 on a side, but really since they all share the 4 corners, you won't need 40 lines, but 36... if that makes sense...

I did it one side at a time. Connecting to the bottom piece of the lamp first... Then I went back and hotglued the rings in place. I also made sure I got where the bear connected to the fishing line to ensure it wouldn't separate...

then I did the top of that same side. Since the top part is separated into 3 parts of the circle... I divided 36 by 3 to figure out that to be the most evenly spaced out on top 12 should go on each 1/3 of the top part.

I superglued as I did on the bottom as well.

NOTE: Due to the shape,. obviously the top part will be WAY more cramped than the bottom.

But I think it still looks cool.

You continue on doing this until you've done the whole thing.

Then you admire you're handiwork, go to Qdoba, get yourself the Queso Chicken... come back and start spraying the acrylic enamel gloss...

This will harden the bears so the heat from the lamp won't deform them... too much.

Wait for it to dry...

Give em another coat.

Keep on repeating until either a) you're satisfied b) you feel you've inhaled enough fumes   or c) you determine you're going to put that lampshade on a lamp without a bulb and due to the sugar they won't be molding anytime soon.

I do recommend that this is placed on a lamp that's not used for long durations of time and not frequently... just to be safe...

and it looks cool anyway...

If you have any questions about my pseudo tutorial just ask... Because I would be more than willing to share insight to you so it won't take you as long as it did me... or suck as much sanity out of you... because trust me it gets lalalala... watch a movie or two or three while threading bears.

p.s. Sorry for the lame-o not on a lamp picture... I honestly don't own a lamp... track lighting... and then ceiling lights... etc... I hope sarahj2001 does.

and sorry for the picture of my leg... it's not that large... it's kind of being squished by the way I'm sitting  Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: May 10, 2011 12:18:48 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

K3lly

i heart jellyfish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009 07:19:16 PM »

YUMMY!!
I like it, and I must admit, I have never seen or heard of a gummy bear lampshade!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am interested in personal swaps!
Proud Air Force Wife, and owned by 2 IGs.  <3
elociNNicole
Groove is in the heart (Ne-na-na-na-na) Groove is in the heart (Ne-na-na-na-na) Groove is in the heart-ah-ah-ah

Do what you love. Love what you do.

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009 09:41:36 PM »

I don't like gummy bears but LOVED the gummi bears (bouncing here and there and everywhere) and your tutorial was the most amusing thing I have read in quite some time. 

I might try this myself using a less ant-attracting substance but just had to tell you that you totally rock and suck for getting that damn song stuck in my head. 

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Yeah, you rule.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knitting goal for 2011: knit 500,000 stitches.  24,078/500,000 knit.  I think I'm going to need more yarn...
beccas_song
is the craziest song you've ever heard!

Stew anyone?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009 11:50:30 PM »

ok, so  I'm in this swap with you, and I have to say, you're totally showing me up. This is awesome! Now I have to go ponder some of my ideas, cause they're not nearly cool enough. Wink great work and lucky sarahj!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Well-behaved women rarely make history. -Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Martyni
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009 02:50:30 AM »

That is so creative and looks really great too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FadingHippie
and God sees a flower...

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009 07:22:17 AM »

I don't like gummy bears but LOVED the gummi bears (bouncing here and there and everywhere) and your tutorial was the most amusing thing I have read in quite some time. 

I might try this myself using a less ant-attracting substance but just had to tell you that you totally rock and suck for getting that damn song stuck in my head. 

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Yeah, you rule.

what that's an amazing tv show theme song... had to have been to have stuck with us all these years Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FadingHippie
and God sees a flower...

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009 07:24:57 AM »

ok, so  I'm in this swap with you, and I have to say, you're totally showing me up. This is awesome! Now I have to go ponder some of my ideas, cause they're not nearly cool enough. Wink great work and lucky sarahj!

hahaha... My other stuff won't be nearly this cool... I actually feel bad for my 2nd partner as I haven't thought of some version of an equivalent - on the cool factor... if that makes sense... a bit of worry that sarahj's package will outshine the other one...

once the idea of this was in my head there was no way of getting it out except to make it... despite the insanity that occurred while stringing those bears...

oh and p.s. I woke up this morning after a dream that involved, no joke, gummi bears... and found an orange gummi bear in my bed...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SAHMama
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009 03:58:07 PM »

Holy crap I love this! I'm in that swap too & feeling like my "something sweet" is pretty sad in comparison!
Love it, love it, love it. Very creative.

P.S. I don't remember that show at all, but I know the theme song. Weird.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cheyenneswthrt07
I cann't quiet the creative monkey in my head!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009 05:30:22 PM »

An interesting take on a sweet treat lol

Next time you can use your left overs for this treat lol.

http://mixthatdrink.com/vodka-gummi-bears/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

NikkiZBM
If we weren't all crazy we would go insane.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009 06:56:29 AM »

Nice...but now I have that song in my head too!  I haven't even heard it in about 20 years and I have a feeling I'll be singing it all day!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Ham, Tomato and Cheese Bake
Sauteed Noodles
Grilled Cheeseburgers
Eggs in a Nest Recipe
Chocolate Peanut Butter Treat Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2
How to Make Tshirt Rugs

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...