A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 299,174
Currently Running With Scissors:
424 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: special grid paper for making your own patterns?  (Read 13335 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bookwormbethie
« on: May 16, 2009 11:14:22 AM »

Hi y'all.  Not sure if I should be posting this here or in the 'sewing' section but here goes....

I'm looking for a big roll (or large sheets) of paper with a one inch grid marked all over it so it will help me draft patterns.  I don't know if tissue pattern paper comes like this but I definitely do not want to use tissue grid paper for drafting as I want to be able to draw and erase mistakes easily.   

I haven't seen any at JoAnns or Hobby Lobby and was wondering if anyone knew of where I could buy this in person or maybe over the internet.

I think I've seen Pellon pattern "cloth" on bolts at JoAnns but I didn't know how well that stuff worked and if you would be able to "draw" on it and "erase" if you made a mistake since it's more cloth like than paper like.
http://www.colonialcrafts.com/manufacturer/Tru_Grid/1840/26
http://www.colonialcrafts.com/manufacturer/Tru_Grid/1840/26

I know I could use the back of wrapping paper since it is large, but I really think those preprinted 1 inch grid marks would make drafting so much easier and more accurate!

Any suggestions much appreciated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amazing_784
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009 05:17:08 PM »

I'm not sure about the grid-marked paper, but I do know that the Pellon pattern tracing stuff isn't erasable.  It is essentially interfacing, but has dots printed on it to mark inches.  I have used it before, and it's pretty good to work with, but if you're wanting to erase then it's not what you want. 
I wonder if office supply places would have the rolls of paper you want instead, or if there was a place online that you could look for grid paper.  It makes sense that it would be offered for architects and professionals like that to draft their plans onto.  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

soorawn
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009 12:59:40 AM »

http://www.eaieducation.com/531106.html

Just googled 'graph paper'.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects for 2011:  15/50
loukr
Tutorial Contributor

Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle . .

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009 06:09:14 AM »

It's definately available somewhere..
When I was doing fashion at college, they had it on the roll, it must've been 4ft wide and you could cut the amount you needed.
I 'borrowed' a little when I finished my course, because I couldn't find it anywhere.. I'm dreading the day I run out!!

Just found this in the UK http://www.macculloch-wallis.co.uk/Product.aspx/PatternPaper!81882?MSCSProfile=3C79F0C7EA3162B289A6F3317CC124D86E57F3DEC488D267997C6D748DF1BFA3B48533371E0C7794F6DD8F4A9712C15F38EBB9870DA7081E4FF1E8D6E50EBAA0B4BB027C1E707CBEB5C465E4DD9C46E259C40946236613AAF102F5AFB4383FD0AD7EA4F4BD164E7B3A63535FEABC57C10C849B7AAA896C207210C907A85638F57D55B4457B934174 that's a lot of paper!!!
hope that helps Smiley and I hope the link works.. geez it's a big link! Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tutorials, features, bloggyness http://www.dearestjackdaw.com/

Do you have an ever increasing pile of scraps waiting for the perfect project? Why not join in our Altered Fashions sew-along! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=354356.0
Thesingingllamas
Queen of the Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009 08:54:08 AM »

We don't use gridded paper in my courses at college. We use a roll of plain paper similar in weight to printer paper. What makes drafting easy and accurate is a clear 2" x 18" ruler and using a sharp pencil to draft. Humans aren't shaped like boxes and our proportions won't match up to boxes, so I'm not really sure what advantage grids give. I would suggest something like this: http://www.dickblick.com/products/blick-white-utility-paper-roll/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hoxierice

Who knew tailoring was so much fun?

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009 04:46:20 PM »

I don't use gridded paper either, but even though humans are not square shaped, the purpose of the graphs is that so when you are drafting you keep your right angles square. And that is useful. But the gridded paper is no necessary.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Goodbye Tucson! I will miss how everything dried so quickly!
Thesingingllamas
Queen of the Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009 05:17:00 PM »

Yes, but the only right angles I would have would be at the bottom of a straight skirt. Others, like the underarm, the shoulder, and a flare skirt might not line up with the grids. That is where the ruler comes in because you can align one side with a line and draw another line exactly perpendicular no matter if your corner lines up with a grid or not. You can also sort of use it like a compass. and it is handy for adding seam allowances when you have a clear gridded one. You can use the long side for long, straight areas like the side of a skirt and use the short side for tight curves like the underarm.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hoxierice

Who knew tailoring was so much fun?

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009 07:05:47 PM »

Right...but when you start something like drafting a skirt block you basically start with a rectangle that is the length of the skirt by half the hip. You make your curved lines from this rectangle. If a below the knee skirt is 24" and your hip is 38" you start with a rectangle that is 24"x19". If you have gridded paper you know starting rectangle will be true. Even if you use a square to make your corners you do run the risk of the rectangle not being even. The gird is more for construction lines than whatever your finished line is.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Goodbye Tucson! I will miss how everything dried so quickly!
pjhamel
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2009 05:27:51 PM »

I usually use muslin, so I don't have much experience with drafting patterns on paper.
However, I might be able to help you. My dad works for an architect/interior designer, and the drafting paper they use is very similar to pattern paper, but slightly thicker. It also has grids and comes in large rolls.You might want to try googling architectural drafting paper and see if that is what you are looking for.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I will happily do personal swaps for beads, buttons, and fat quarters!

My Pinterest
myrLegacy
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2009 08:09:58 PM »

i don't particularly agree with the gridded paper for pattern drafting.  i'm working on my degree for fashion design and also patternmaking, and i find the grids more of a hinderance.  sometimes, the grids are thicker than your pencil lines, so what you think is a perfect square angle isn't perfect.  some places sell "point paper" for pattern drafting -- the paper where it's kind of like connect the dots, but with numbers and letters.  one of my professors -- who used to be a designer for dior -- gave us a handout and lecture against that as well because sometimes the 1's and the L's end up looking like pattern makers (i.e. notches).  i prefer the 2x18 ruler and an L square.

i get my paper locally, but this looks like the kind of paper i use: (the kraft paper. By comparison, i buy mine $7/10yds, the point/marker paper i can get $6/10yds and just use the back side.)

http://www.paragonpatterns.com/Notions/Pattern_supplies.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Meet Baybayin Artist Ameurfina Nazario
Meet Ebru Artist Siddi Zubeyde Atan
Learn About Painter Marta Sanchez
Meet Glass Calligraphist Hayat Gul
Meet Muralist Michelle Ortiz
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...