A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: **Entry period extended to May 20!** From concerts to musicals and more, what events inspire YOU?  Craft and enter for a chance to win a chunk of over $500 in prizes from Ticketmaster this month!  Enter now through MAY 20.  Good luck, Craftsters!!
Total Members: 309,597
Currently Running With Scissors:
518 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My fold over elastic isn't working out right...  (Read 993 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

9thLife
« on: May 16, 2009 09:39:00 AM »

So, I have been working with FOE lately, and it is my new BFF.  Except I am having troubles sometimes when I try to use it for things like waistbands or the bottom for some bloomers.  I am using a satin stitch, and I have even extended the length a from 1.0 to 2.0 on my machine because that seemed to help a little letting it keep its elasticity.  But it seems to be that when I stretch it out to stitch... the end result seems to be that the stitches are keeping the elastic from shrinking back.  If that makes any sense.  Any advise would be great!  Thanks in advance.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bookwormbethie
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009 11:19:08 AM »

From what I know about FOE, I haven't worked with it personally, I thought you are to use a narrow zig zag stitch with FOE. 

This tute on FOE might help
http://angrychicken.typepad.com/angry_chicken/2008/07/foe-fold-over-e.html

and a video by angry chicken
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bc4BLL2MhVY
THIS ROCKS   Logged

soorawn
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009 04:11:27 PM »

That's right.  It's elastic, so you should use a zig zag stitch, same as with elastic fabric and knits.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects for 2011:  15/50
9thLife
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009 04:48:23 AM »

Well, I'm using what I think is called the satin stitch, the zigzag that is made up of little stitches.  But I'm gonna definetly look at the tut and video!  Thanks very mush!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Aislynn
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009 06:30:33 AM »

A satin stitch is a zigzag, yes, but it's a much tighter one.  There are too many stitches in a small space, and they hold your elastic stretched out.  You're always going to lose a little of the elasticity, but with a regular zigzag stitch, you'll still have plenty of stretch.  For reference, a zigzag usually looks like this:  /\/\/\/\/ on your fabric, while a satin stitch is so tight, it looks more like straight up and down lines.  The symbols for both, on my machine, look almost identical.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
9thLife
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009 09:48:00 AM »

I think i'll just have to try a regular zigzag then... But the stitch I was calling a satin stitch isn't straight up and down.. it has the same distance like a zigzag... but uhm... here's a picture!  Lol.  Too bad I'm off work so I'm away from my machine Sad

So yeah... I'll just have to goof around with it some more.  Thankies!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AbbyRose
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009 09:55:00 AM »

I think i'll just have to try a regular zigzag then... But the stitch I was calling a satin stitch isn't straight up and down.. it has the same distance like a zigzag... but uhm... here's a picture!  Lol.  Too bad I'm off work so I'm away from my machine Sad

http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/stitch3.JPG

So yeah... I'll just have to goof around with it some more.  Thankies!

What you are using is a 3-step zig zag. That's what I use for my FOE on diaper covers. I haven't had a problem with it. If you want it to be stretchy in certain areas it's best to stretch the FOE slightly while stitching and keep the fabric unstretched. That's how I do the leg holes on my diaper covers.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009 02:23:24 PM by jungrrl - Reason: Please remove IMG tags when quoting! Thanks! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Adorable handmade childrens hoodies in stock now!
Wistful Thinking.
I love to DYE Smiley
Handmade cloth diapers, booties, bags and more! www.abbyrosecreations.ca
9thLife
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009 01:33:55 PM »

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rvestal
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009 07:30:54 PM »

I'm assuming that the "1 to 2" is in mm. That's your problem for sure. When I'm using FOE, I usually will use 9mm for 3 step zigzag and 5-6mm for a standard zigzag. What works best (and I just learned this recently) is to leave the FOE open and on the bottom and stitch the bottom side with the zigzag. Then fold it over, go back over it again stretching it REALLY far and use just a straight stitch (4mm or more) on top. That way it still stretches but has a clean look on the right side. Plus it's tons easier to get everything aligned during the first part. Really handy if you have to make curves and corners.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SkitzoLeezra
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009 09:07:17 AM »

. . .That way it still stretches but has a clean look on the right side. Plus it's tons easier to get everything aligned during the first part. Really handy if you have to make curves and corners.

That is a really great tip, rvestal!
Thanks for sharing it and I cannot wait to try it
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Kellan Lutz Reveals His One Fashion Mistake
Pharrell to Collaborate with Adidas Using Recycled Materials
5 Trendy Spring Jacket Looks
How to Wear a Crop Top and High Waisted Trousers
Must Have Wide Calf Boots for Spring 2014
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decorative Bulletin Board
Rain, rain, you don't have to go away...
Tute Tuesday: Latch Hooked Rag Rug

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...