A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
415 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How Do You Get Inspired and/or Get Off The Lazy Ass? ;)  (Read 1203 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tigralon
Tig Gooseberry Tartlet

~ living in a magical dollhouse ~

View Profile
« on: April 01, 2005 10:04:09 AM »

Okay, I'll be the first to admit that the laziness/mad-crafting/laziness/mad-crafting cycle runs deep in my blood!  Sometimes it seems like I get crazy-inspired by everything (my ham sandwich, junk mail envelopes, you get the idea Wink).  But sometimes my heels drag, and I just can't get into that crafty mood in order to work on a project I already have going.  Then I have to scheme to get myself into "creative mode."  For me, upbeat happy music works well, especially if I can sing along...lately I've been spinning the Wicked soundtrack pretty hard.  I also like to sew and craft while I watch listen to cheesy TV shows.  I have a bad tendency of starting "mini-projects" when I'm procrastinating on the Big One, but I do love the instant gratification!
But my favorite method, far and away, of getting back to work on a project, is The Looming Deadline!!  Recently I've been extremely productive, thanks to the pressure of unfinished taxes.  Any sort of unpleasant task - spring cleaning, term papers, changing the car's oil - would have the same effect.  I'm suddenly motivated to rifle through my bookmarks of inspirational projects and pick some new ones to try!

So what do you all do?  Any favorite methods of getting yourself psyched up for a few more hours of decoupaging that oversize steamer trunk, or setting more grommets in the "rocker" jeans that seemed like a good idea when you bought the bulk pack of 1000 grommets?  Cheesy  What inspires you to get down & dirty with the crafting supplies?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2005 12:23:25 PM by Tigralon » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"What is a television apparatus to man, who has only to shut his eyes to see the most inaccessible regions of the seen and the never seen, who has only to imagine in order to pierce through walls and cause all the planetary Baghdads of his dreams to rise from the dust."  - Salvador Dali
lady4feet
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2005 08:41:31 PM »

I usually come on here(or other crafty sites) lol. Everyone getting to show off their stuff makes me want to be able to do that. Or if I'm making it for someone I just can't wait to give it to them to see if they like it.
If it's a big project I'll break it down into little projects. Like with quiliting, I'll make 5 quilt squares today and 5 next week.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

midnightsky1686
Midnightsky Fibers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2005 08:51:19 PM »

i sleep or chat online till all hours of the night to avoid cleaning and crafting for deadlines Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Midnightsky Fibers
Naturally Dyed Textiles
Blog
Yarns and Fibers Handmade in the Pacific NW
tigralon
Tig Gooseberry Tartlet

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2005 09:53:40 PM »

i sleep or chat online till all hours of the night to avoid cleaning and crafting for deadlines Smiley
Oh absolutely... sleep is the best method ever for procrastination.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"What is a television apparatus to man, who has only to shut his eyes to see the most inaccessible regions of the seen and the never seen, who has only to imagine in order to pierce through walls and cause all the planetary Baghdads of his dreams to rise from the dust."  - Salvador Dali
microtard
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2005 12:16:12 PM »

WEED.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

--I will take the Gold for America in the Party Olympics--
turtlebriana

always trying to do new things

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2005 04:27:45 PM »

I usually start very very small, to trick myself into getting creative.

Sew a button back on a shirt that you've been meaning to fix for a while....
color in a coloring book.

Pull out a few random crafting materials and see what you can make.

Figure out who's birthday, or other holiday is coming up next and get started making something for that.

Cook a fairly elaborate dinner.

TURN THE TV OFF!!!!!!! Wink

good luck! Grin Grin Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tigralon
Tig Gooseberry Tartlet

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2005 07:21:40 AM »

I usually start very very small, to trick myself into getting creative.
Sew a button back on a shirt that you've been meaning to fix for a while....
color in a coloring book.
Pull out a few random crafting materials and see what you can make.
Figure out who's birthday, or other holiday is coming up next and get started making something for that.
Cook a fairly elaborate dinner.
TURN THE TV OFF!!!!!!! Wink
good luck! Grin Grin Grin

What a great list of ideas!  Yeah, the TV is nice once I get going on a project, but it's deadly if I'm just trying to get inspirated.  I'll start staring at it, all glassy-eyed and hypnotized...  Grin

I think I'm going to take your "sew on a button" tip and make a list of tiny repairs like that.  Then when I'm feeling like I want to be productive, I can pick something from the list, be done in 5 minutes, and feel successful!

WEED.
Is this because it's a bit mindless and repetitive, so it allows your mind to wander and think creatively about projects?  I ask because I notice that I have some of my best ideas (and ah-ha! moments) when I'm on my half-hour walk to work.  There's something about meditative about thinking while you're walking, almost like the movement is powering my brain to come up with new ideas.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

turtlebriana

always trying to do new things

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2005 02:43:35 PM »

Thanks for liking my ides, glad I could help...
I got excited about this topic, because literally, for about 4 years I had the hardest time getting myself to be creative, even after being an art major for my first 2 years in coillege....

Finally, I just had to make it not seem so intimidating to start a project. It seemed like every time I would go to make something, I was afraid, because there was this pressure to create something so masterful it would blow people away every time.

That's why this website is fabulous.... people make everyday things that are so creative and it is inspiring because there are simply amazing creations, and little things like ... how to make your own bra out of tighty-whities!!!! I love it all. It makes me let go of the idea of perfection every time.

Good luck and keep crafting!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
missmichigan

long lost sister of rosie palm

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2005 03:07:43 PM »

inactivity. really. I have dry spells and then just go freakin nuts for a few weeks.

So basically, I just ride out my laziness until I get bit by the crafting bug.

Actually, I'm not really lazy, but my job often requires an overload of critical thinking and or mathematics and droll, dry stuff like employee reviews and menu costing. It's like my craft brain doesn't work when I do that stuff, or I'm not really good at either one if I try to both. It's like a craft faucet- either hot or cold, can't be warm and have 'em on at the same time Wink

Craftster almost makes it worse sometimes!!  Tongue I'll get so excited about some of the projects that I short circuit!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Would you like to go to a pants party?
tigralon
Tig Gooseberry Tartlet

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2005 09:40:12 PM »

Finally, I just had to make it not seem so intimidating to start a project. It seemed like every time I would go to make something, I was afraid, because there was this pressure to create something so masterful it would blow people away every time.
Oh yes, you've completely hit the nail on the head!  I do that all the time...like buying a dress I want to alter and reconstruct, but then letting it sit around for months because I'm afraid that I won't do it "well enough" and if it's not "perfect" then I've ruined it.  Tongue  It's so silly of me, because whenever I do actually make something, I really like it!
And I saw the tighty-whities bra...what a cute idea!  Smiley

Craftster almost makes it worse sometimes!! Tongue I'll get so excited about some of the projects that I short circuit!!
So true.  I'll get overwhelmed with all the incredibly creative ideas and can't process it all!  Then I'll have 20 projects bookmarked, and I've labeled them all  "SO COOL" or "MAKE ME FIRST".  Cheesy  Craftster is kind of like a really strong drug...a little bit here and there can make you incredibly high, but a too-large overdose can just fry you.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Printing Photographs
How to Buy a Bridge Camera
Photography Devices News
Photomart’s Summer Workshop
Latest Digital Cameras
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...