A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 298,054
Currently Running With Scissors:
622 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Altered book of important things *image heavy*  (Read 7251 times)
Tags for this thread: altered_book  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

imrahil
« on: May 16, 2009 07:00:19 AM »

I don't know what happened to my immune system. I've managed to catch a cold AGAIN so I've been home from work this week (about the fourth time this spring. it sucks.)
Anyway I was looking around Crafster for inspiration and found the Altered journal-alonghttp://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=248633.0 started by Phizzychick and was inspired to start my own altered book.

To make painting easier I've glued two pages together where I wanted to paint. I've used watercolor, ink, gel pens, ribbon, yarn and beads, lots of glue and some fabric. I also used a lot of photos, both my own and pictures I found in magazines. Most of the poetry is in Swedish, but I'll try to translate some of it. The book is randomly filled with things I like. I've used some of the themes from the journal-along.

Here it is! I haven't done anything with the cover yet, I'm not sure how I want it to look.

First spread! The forest scene reminds me of a place near my parents house, and the flower is a favourite of mine. The green background is a bit brighter in real life, and the text is the name of the flower in Latin and Swedish.

Second spread. The ocean! I used pieces of a practice chart i got when learning basic navigation a couple of years ago, and the text is part of a poem I found on the internet. In English it would be something like "What if words come out of the ocean, like the necessities of life".

Third, and my favourite so far! Backcountry skiing! I drew the trail markers in watercolour and ink. No text, because the photo shows the feeling I was going for better than any text could do.

Lily of the valley (I love white flowers!) and a lot of swirls. Not sure I like the swirls though, they definitely don't fit in there. I might put something else there.

Another favourite plant, and black and white. The photo is from a magazine.

More plants! This one grows in the mountains in rocky places. Green swirls that I like much more then the multicoloured ones.

Backcountry hiking! And green. I love green pages! fabric, ribbon, yarn with leafy beads and a sweet little fairy.

More green, with a wonderful forest scene. The text is the names of the fern in the lower part of the picture. Cheery yellow page with books! The text is the first line from a poem I found online, and it's wonderful in its crazyness. "When I was a Japanese I used an unread book as my pillow". I mean, how do you even come up with that?

A very dear friend of mine Smiley And Modesty Blaise to show my love for cartoons!

More favourite plants. This is the one named after the bothanist Carl Linnaeus, not sure about the English name though. It's called Linnea in Swedish. Other page: a cute fairy, and a beautiful first line from a poem: "When I stood still, I could feel the Earth breathing".

"The Tyger" by William Blake. My camera wasn't nice on this page, it looks much better in person.

Thanks for looking! I have more pages coming up soon, this is addictive!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

treasures_Of_Albion
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009 07:08:47 AM »

I love this Smiley I have one similar, but not as nice as yours!! I like that all the paes are different, but the same? If that makes sense!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You can't get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.--C.S. Lewis
DanniQuee
The Artful Danni

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009 07:18:20 AM »

What a beautiful book! The nautical spread and the last one with the gold text are my favourites.

I really love your hands drawings, did you draw the ship? Because it's incredible.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PinkPug,INK.

*Paper Gangsta*

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009 08:46:57 AM »

very cool! i really like the ship you drew!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out "Pugs & Papercrafts", my brand new blog!
http://pinkpugink.blogspot.com/

http://www.PinkPugINK.etsy.com

Pink Pug Wists
http://www.wists.com/PinkPugINK
paramecium
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009 10:28:24 AM »

Beautiful book. I really like the flowers you chose and because you included the Latin names i now know the Swedish names, I like that. Thanks for showing your journal
THIS ROCKS   Logged
imrahil
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2009 12:05:30 PM »

Thanks, all of you!
parameicum: that's wonderful! what's Cornus Suecica in English?
treasures of albion: is your book posted anywhere? I'd love to see it!
danniquee and pinkpug: Yes, I drew the ship. I'm so glad you like it! I'm planning to include more hand drawing later on in the book.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

imrahil
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009 01:42:41 PM »

I made some new pages today:

I took a very short walk down to the beach and did some painting. Seagulls and a yellow butterfly. I also painted the view from where I sat, but I'm not done with that page yet.

Poetry! The left side would translate into something like "Beyond the black sails of the outer stars". And the right side is a very beautiful song by Dan Andersson. It's about a man burning charcoal out in the forest and imagining his dream woman Grin Way nicer than I just made it sound... This spread is much darker in person, my camera obviously can't handle that very well.

Left side is a poem about how elephants are like "great stone arches". I just had to imagine that literally! Love the green mommy elephant in the background! Right side is just covered in tulips, I liked the colour.

Pardon my sometimes weird translations.. some of the poems are really odd to start with Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

meg25k
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009 04:46:16 AM »

THis is just amazingly inspiring!!! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
selkie

Duct tape and zipties will fix EVERYTHING!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009 05:26:14 AM »

Great work! I know what you mean about addictive - I'm doing an altered book autobiography... It's been two weeks and I'm nowhere near "finished"!

Selkie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Power is strength and the ability to see yourself through your own eyes and not through the eyes of another. It is being able to place a circle of power at your own feet and not take power from someone else's circle.

Agnes Whistling Elk
imrahil
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009 11:18:06 AM »

More pages!

This one needs something more, I'll probly change the right side in some way. The poem is by Swedish writer Nils Ferlin. It's about rain and thunder in an ancient forest.

Left: artwork by my sister! It's her, our other sister and me. Gotta love that little drawing Grin Right: crazy-coloured sunflowers.

Hedgehogs! I had so much fun drawing them!

Hiking. The photo is from a magazine. It's from a national park I'd like to visit some day. Right side is a drawing of an outdoor stove and the Allmighty Cookie Bucket (it has saved the day many times during hikes. we keep all the unhealthy stuff in it Cheesy)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Frosted Carrot Cake
Eggnog Pound Cake Recipe
How to Make Warm Cinnamon Apples
No-Fail Snickerdoodle Cookie Recipe
Mock Orange Julius Popsicle Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...