A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 300,941
Currently Running With Scissors:
646 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Kanzashi~ A Japanese Craft with a twist  (Read 2250 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

drpop
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2009 03:53:57 PM »

wow!
I've loved kanzashi ever since I read about about Japanese clothing when I was in elementary school and was just thinking about how it would be possible to make hair ornaments imitating them. I log on today and right there are yours!
Beautiful work, though those must be a killer on the hands after a while making them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sere
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2009 06:44:15 PM »

Christ, I remember trying to make kanzashi like five years ago, when the only tutorial around was the one of the old Japanese guy making them the traditional way. All of mine came out a mess! But perhaps I'll give it a go again, as I really want some butterfly hair clips!

All of yours are gorgeous and mad props on your patience for this art. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest
SereBerry - personal/craft/food blog.
Etsy
Fetus

Makin' it weird one craft at a time.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2009 06:58:25 PM »

Your kanzashi are so detailed, I really like your hydreagea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ryoruki
the crazy lady

You may be right, I may be crazy...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2009 08:33:58 PM »

curious about what type of glue you use to hold them together. I know that they traditionally use rice-glue, but is there something else more readily available?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

As grad school eats my soul and time, i slowly begin to craft again...

Life is not complex. We are complex. Life is simple, and the simple thing is the right thing. -- Oscar Wilde
cereus
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2009 10:20:32 PM »

There are other glues you can use but you have to keep in mind of the fabric type. Tacky glue/craft glue/fabric glue does work but not on fabrics such as cotton or mixed fabrics, especially if you're going to use it to glue the petals to the base of the 'flower.' Hot glue is good in the sense that it glues fast and is the most durable glue short of certain types of hardcore modeling glue. The drawback is that it burns synthetic fabrics, so using a low heat glue gun helps with that. It takes lots of practice to use hot glue when you mount the petals onto the base since it dries fast. If you mess up- it's not going to be an easy fix by any means.

The detailing on the flowers takes a lot of patience, really good pairs of tweezers, swiftness and precision if you're using hot glue. With craft glue you're not pressured to be swift and precise; however keep in mind that it won't have as strong of a bond as hot glue.

I've taken into consideration with the fact that the fabric is starched when experimenting with the glues. I personally like hot glue since it's fast and extremely durable- my only issue is that for some of the details such as the first kanzashi- you have to own surgeon's hands; which I sadly don't have .  Lips sealed

I'm tempted to create a supplement tutorial about kanzashi on my devianart account, but I'm rather iffy on that at the moment.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life's about risk- take one!
Limeflavoredlollypop
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2009 07:18:04 AM »

Shocked They're beautiful! I wish I had the patience and the talent to make them. I really like the flower ones but I like the cherry blossoms the best (the first one). I also like the hydrangea but for some odd reason, I like the kanzashi with hanging flowers more.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ambush
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2009 03:39:12 PM »

Those are amazing, especially the first!!

You must have a lot of patience
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mmd32
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2009 12:21:03 PM »

Niiiiice!! I never finished my first kanzashi, lol....I got as far as folding, and stringing, and tying together. I bombed at the gluing, though. Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Henny by Elizabeth Rose Stanton
Lynn Cullen Talks Edgar Allen Poe and MRS. POE
Simon Sinek on Finding Inspiration to Write His Book "Leaders Eat Last"
The 9 Best Books For Meaningful Change
The Traitor’s Wife by Allison Pataki
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...