A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 302,743
Currently Running With Scissors:
557 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hand-me-down crafting treasures!  (Read 1522 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Tallyboo
« on: May 15, 2009 06:00:40 PM »

So I am so excited about my day and no one in my house seems to understand!

I visited my grandma today to hang out and borrow a tiny embroidery hoop because I only have a huge one. Well I ended up getting her whole embroidery stash, including her hoops, thread, needles and the sewing box she kept them all in! I remember the box from when I was little, and use to sit and watch her embroider things all the time and pick through the box in childish wonder haha. I am so thrilled to have it now. She also gave me the projects she never got around to finishing, and can't finish now because of her arthritis. =[ I think I'm going to finish them for her for her birthday because they are really not my style. There is a set of quilt squares for a baby quilt and a little teddy bear piece for framing I am going to use though.

We then got on the topic of how I am now a fiend for buttons. In the middle of the conversation she got up and went upstairs, so I followed her and after rummaging in the closet, she handed me an old 1960s candy tin filled with buttons that were my great grandmothers! There are SO MANY BUTTONS!!!! She said most of them were from her old clothes and they are really cool.

As if this all wasn't enough, she also handed me a vintage Tetley Tea tin filled with 6 tiny glass jars and one extra tiny one. I don't know what the jars were originally, but they are pretty small and have plastic lids that snap on. She said they were left by my Poppy's first wife in the house.

And last but not least, she also gave me her mom's electric scissors from the 70s haha. They are kind of scary but super cool.

Oh and she also gave me pretty silky pillow shams with embroidered flowers on them to use for quilting!

I just wanted to share this on here because I know you guys will appreciate the awesomeness of grandma's stash becoming your stash, and can probably relate to how excited I am! Everyone here at home thinks I'm a little crazy haha.  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ostera15
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009 08:21:41 PM »

Wow, you are one lucky person!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/ostera15/
Save  the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate  !!!!
smittenheart

Let go of what's already gone..

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009 08:25:02 PM »

you are a lucky gal..how wonderful to have a g-ma(as I called mine and really she didnt care that I did..haa) anywho,g-ma that feels like her crafts are going to an appreciative home.

She must have super confidence in you and wants to feed your creative spirit..

use them to make her proud..AWESOME!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

its ME!!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=327537.0

http://cowandpigdesigns.etsy.com
http://cowandpigdesigns.blogspot.com
Soap licking is dangerous..please dont try it at home

will trade some soap for a superhero cape which will be used by the kid in my avatar ^^
betty@freekidscrafts.com
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009 08:30:16 AM »

Crafty crazy is good. What's not to understand!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SHELIAANN1969
Crazy 4 Crafting!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009 07:04:59 AM »

Oh wow, that is super cool, what lovely memories you will make out of Grannys stuff!!! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bewitcheddaughter79
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009 07:55:02 AM »

very nice.  I always loved when gram would give me some of her stash. Smiley  My prized posession is the old singer sewing machine that I am the 7th generation to own.  At least 50% of my stash is my gram's.  Hubby's just do not understand - when I would come home from gram's with at least a walmart bag filled he would just shake his head and ask what I was going to use that for.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bewitcheddaughter79
~*~*~ A daughter, wife and mother ~*~*~
Yesterday is gone, tomorrow is a gift, live for today!!!!!
kpretro
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009 10:49:30 AM »

That's awesome!  It's something to get all that for free, but gives you warm fuzzies knowing it was your grandmas.  I love that the buttons came from outfits she wore.  My grandma gave me a quilt that had scraps from my mom (aunt's/uncle's) clothing as kids.  She would bring it out and say..this one was your mom's Easter dress, this one was your Uncle Jim's work pants... She gave it to me before she passed away.  I'm so glad I have it (and the memories).  Enjoy your new stash!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GigglingPagan
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009 07:33:11 PM »

I totally sympathize. My grandmother is the woman who taught me to knit, and over the years she's given me countless needles and notions. When she finally passed this year, I got her whole stash - patterns, the remaining needles, yarn, and the big collapsible carpetbag style holder for it all. It was bittersweet, but still lovely to have. My husband's great grandmother passed recently also, and I received all of her quilting fabrics. Most of these items have gone to make things for other family members, to pass on the love. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ragdoll193
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009 09:00:05 PM »

i think it is really sweet that not only did she give it all to yu, but that in return you are going to make the unfinished a grandmother/granddaughter collaboration
THIS ROCKS   Logged

^♥^
♥the military will not stop me from crafting♥
beefishie
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009 09:08:49 AM »

Grandmothers who pass crafting traditions down to their grand-daughters are the best kind! My Nana taught me how to cross stitch too. =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love personal swaps! I knit and make jewelry mostly, but do a few other crafts as well. PM me. =)
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Leaf Print Holiday Wrapping Paper
How to Make Glitter Pinecone Hanging Ornaments
How to Make Faux Bois Giftwrap
How to Make Custom Gift Bows
Homemade Christmas Tree Decorations
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Bird Feeder
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
I See London; I See France!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...