A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 304,873
Currently Running With Scissors:
618 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: EcoFi Those Old Throw Pillows  (Read 1076 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

anisemouette
« on: May 15, 2009 02:19:08 PM »

Sick of looking at those same old throw pillows that have been sitting on your couch since the twentieth century? What to do? Throw them away? Of course not! Opportunities like this are what keep the crafting community alive.

Materials: One old, sorry throw pillow with a removable case, five or so sheets of felt (I used Kunin Rainbow Classic Felt which measures 9 x 12 and is made from EcoFi, recycled post-consumer plastic bottles love that!), scissors, a guide to create your circles (like a small glass or lens cap), pen, embroidery thread, and a needle.

First, you will need to decide how many felt circles you want to cover your pillow. This will depend on the size of your pillow and how big, or small, you want your circles to be. The pillow I used measures 18 x 18 and my circles each measure 2 in diameter. To cover my pillow, I needed 36 circles (just figure out how many circles you need to line two sides of your pillow and then multiply those numbers; I figured six circles would work for each side; thus, I came up with the figure 36).

Next, you will want to double that number. I cut 72 circles to complete my project. Doubling each circle creates more dimension to your end product.

To follow, you will need to choose your colors. I used a palette of five colors, all of which complemented my throw. To create a sense of cohesiveness, I created a pattern that I used consistently. Its up to you to decide how you want to use your colors to design your pillow, or even if you want to use more than just a couple colors. I imagine that the possibilities are really endless.

To create your circles, use the bottom of a glass or a lens cap, or any circular object that you have handy and is the size you want your circles to be. Next, use your pen to trace the circles onto your felt so that they are all the same size. Once you are finished, cut out your circles. Once you are done, you can then play with your design to see what looks best.

To follow, you will remove the case from your pillow so to sew on your circles. Use embroidery thread to attach each of the circles onto your pillow. (If you are a perfectionist, you may want to use a ruler to mark the placement of each doubled circle. I just eyed it, but sometimes this isnt always the wisest choice). You will just need to loop the thread through the middle of your circles once or twice when attaching them to your pillow. You will want to knot and cut the thread you use to attach each doubled circle so that gathering wont occur.

Lastly, once all the circles are attached, return the pillow to your couch, smile, sit down and relax with a new sense of satisfaction: not only did you beautify your couch, but you did it with an eco-friendly product.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Anise Stevens
owner/designer
Anise Mouette
www.anisemouette.com
info@anisemouette.com
pinokeeo

Best of 2013 winner, but this is just as good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009 02:23:53 PM »

When I first saw this, I thought it was made with leather scraps.  It looks so awesome.  Great job. 

I gotta try this, except I think I will use leather scraps.  Thanks for the tute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jiv5932
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009 09:13:24 AM »

i love this idea! it looks really good!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Perfect Peppermint Pinwheel Cookies Recipe
Sweet As Sugar Cookie Cutouts Recipe
Festive Eggnog Cookies Recipe
Kicked-Up Holiday Sugar Cookies Recipe
Bunny Cake Recipe for Easter
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...