A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 303,795
Currently Running With Scissors:
472 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help with Martha Stewart's Alexis's brown sugar chocolate chip cookies?  (Read 743 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: May 14, 2009 04:53:44 PM »

These cookies are supposed to be flat, kinda crispy on the outside, and chewy on the inside.

However whenever I try to bake them, they turn out so flat they won't come unstuck from the pan unless I scrape it off with a spoon.

Why is it doing this? I read adding a half cup more of flour would fix it. Tried it, didn't work.

Then I read you were supposed to chill the batter first. Tried it, didn't work. Same results everytime (though luckily I decided to only cook one cookie at a time after the first batch failed).

Why won't the cookies turn out right? You can find the recipe if you google what's in the thread title. It makes 50 cookies and I did the full recipe (was gonna make cookies once a week or so until it was gone ;; ).

Should I chill it longer and then try? Should I add more of something? I don't cook often. What's something I could add? ;;
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009 07:51:20 PM »

While I haven't used this specific recipe, I've had the same problems with my cookies going completely flat when they're baked, and I've had two problems causing mine:
#1, baking soda / powder being expired.  You'd be amazed at the difference this makes.  I don't use it often enough, so usually one of mine's expired.  Also, I'm not by any means an expert baker, so I don't know if this is frowned upon, but sometimes if one of mine is expired i'll add a bit of the other (if it's not expired too) and it's helped them not be so unbearably flat.

#2, over-mixing the butter & sugar -- I've found that just mixing the butter and sugar together works fine as the mixture gets stirred completely together as other ingredients are added (obviously this is useless as you've already made a large batch of dough).
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009 07:55:02 PM by brenlo » THIS ROCKS   Logged
will you take me to gang practice? yis?

You will never guess

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009 08:20:25 PM »

i have a recipe (my own) for cookies that are exactly what you are looking for, if you are interested, PM me and i will send it, and the detailed instructions (i am kinda known for my cookies, i make 2 different kinds of choc. chip one flat and one cakey)

i think im back....9 months almost to the day but i miss art, and i missed you guys!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Get That Look: Lived in Waves
Household Items You Never Knew Work as Haircare Products
9 Celebrities Who Look Stunning with Red Hair
Summer Shags Hair Trend
9 of The Best Celebrity Hair Changes
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kindling Bundle
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kitty Coasters
@Home This Weekend: Rustic Wreath

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...