A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,472
Currently Running With Scissors:
510 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 82
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Handspun Yarn & Fiber Swap Round 2 (SIGNUPS CLOSED, SEND OUTS July 11, 2009)  (Read 37336 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Velvet Rose
« Reply #460 on: June 02, 2009 09:09:55 PM »

LOL I won't get nervous!

Here are some other good links for kool-aid dyeing

http://www.thepiper.com/fiberart/koolaid/basic-howto.html
http://www.lusciousgracious.com/koolaid.htm

Does anyone know of a good tutorial for kool aide dying?   

(partner, don't get nervous, this isn't for you!)

Oh, and could one of you hand-carders post a picture of (a singular) something you have hand carded?  I want to know if I am doing it right.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TwiztidBlood
« Reply #461 on: June 02, 2009 09:45:14 PM »

SML - your first package of roving should arrive anyday!

I got so excited about dying my first large skein of multicoloured handpsun yesterday that I did a new batch this evening! The colours of this one are 2 reds, purple, orange, pink and blue, it turned out soooo pretty too! Im realllly liking this!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I just moved to a new loft, please contact me for my new mailing address!
My Wist
Nesse
« Reply #462 on: June 03, 2009 07:12:45 AM »

Hey Twiz, you planning on posting pics, or just teasing us to death? Wink Tongue

I'm thinking about quiting my job so I could have more time to craft... Lips sealed I managed to clean a few pounds of cormo yesterday, and hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to dye it!!

Here's my schedule for the rest of the week:
8:30am - 1:30pm work
2pm - 4:30pm dye some wool(and maybe my hair?? It went from hot pink to faded sherbert puke)/spin some yarn/make some soap
5pm - 12pm work

Gahhhh I'm going to hate myself by the end of the summer.

ETA: My lurvly partners shall fear not!! I've got weekends and random days of the week off. Plenty of time to craft. I just hate waiting til the weekend, so I try to squeeze it into every waking moment!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009 07:18:46 AM by Nesse » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #463 on: June 03, 2009 07:23:59 AM »

ew yuck.. split shift or 2 jobs, Nesse?  either way, you are going to go crazy.  I know I did when I had 2 jobs, both giving me 30+hours a week.  That extra 20 hours and no ot pay made me never want to do it again.

my wool is still sopping wet.  I 'm afraid if I put it out in the yard the birds will take it, or the local cats.  I'm sad that I can't put it in the dryer(unless I figure how to get the dryer to have to rack in it and no spin on the drum.......).  I'm itching to get it carded and ready to go.  I'm also sad it didn't dye as evenly as I had wanted it to. Its definitly still workable, but in the end it will be more pastel then bright like I wanted it to be.
Its okay though, I still have LOTS of wool. (and more time to craft with this swap -phew-) so I'm going to be more patient this go and do it in smaller amounts on the stove seperately.  Thats what i get for being impatient.... More work LOL
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nesse
« Reply #464 on: June 03, 2009 07:37:23 AM »

Patience is a virtue!!! Wink When I dye, I usually have something on the stove, in the crockpot and in the microwave. Yay for multitasking!

Did you give the wool a spin (hehe) in the spin cycle of your washer? That gets out most of the water. Also, I use these little mesh sweater bags to wash the wool, and I leave it in them to dry so no animals can attack my precious wool. Oh oh oh, I also lay the bags out on a sweater rack (you could use a window screen) so air gets to the bottom.

2 jobs. I get about 20hrs from one and 30ish (sometimes more/less) from the other. Every summer I try to hold down a full time and part time job and every summer I fail. hahaha you'd think I'd learn Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #465 on: June 03, 2009 07:51:31 AM »

haha patience is most certainly a virtue!  I just use all mine up on my kids (try explaining to a 4yr old that just because he's 4 doesn't mean he can use a steak knife every night, 5 times or other things similar. and then pulling a 1.5 year old off the table repeatedly cause he likes to climb), don't have any left at the end of the day! 

but i will see if I can find some laundry bags (I know I have some somewhere) and stick em out side. even though theres is minimal sun again and its only 15 odd degrees today.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

freestyle
aka ModernSpin

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #466 on: June 03, 2009 08:00:01 AM »

My wheel arrived!!! I was up until midnight last night (which is VERY late for me) putting it together and reading the manuals. I can't wait to try it out tonight!! And the hand cards are HUGE!! Can't wait to give them a try! Ok, I really don't want to be at work today- can you tell?  Roll Eyes

Twiz, we need pics of your gorgeous handspun!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CamOovas
Don't drink and craftster.

« Reply #467 on: June 03, 2009 02:23:51 PM »

LOL I won't get nervous!

Here are some other good links for kool-aid dyeing

Thanks for the links! I found some kool aide (I didn't even know I HAD kool aid) and started dying and it turned out great (uneven, but I think it's pretty like that).  Who knew it was so quick and easy?  I can kool aid dye every night!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Molliemoo2883
Personal Swap: anyone need bottle caps?

Easily distracted since 1983!

« Reply #468 on: June 03, 2009 03:16:28 PM »

Kool aid dying is my favorite! I did a bunch over the weekend and I have more wool comming in this week to play with. I have been eyeing Kool aid on Amazon.com because they have colors I cant find but they only sell them in packs of 96 packets.  Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If we could live without passion, maybe we would know some kind of peace. But we would be hollow inside. Empty rooms, shuttered and dank, without passion we would be truly dead"~Buffy
feverdream
« Reply #469 on: June 03, 2009 03:46:55 PM »

So I started dying last night! I have alot more to do tonight. Anyway, I discovered some of the fiber I have is washed, but needs to be picked. I've never really had to pick fiber before. Anyone have any tips?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my etsy shop!
My wists
"the best part about life is knowing that you put it together yourself." -trent reznor
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 82 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Discover 5 Ways to Improve Your Memory
Precious Blood by Tonya Hurley
Turney Duff on Galleon, Goldman and Cocaine
Meet Katherine Parr in Queen’s Gambit
The Sacred River by Wendy Wallace
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...