A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,050
Currently Running With Scissors:
578 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bead cufflinks tutorial (Image heavy)  (Read 4329 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tmbrunschen
« on: May 14, 2009 02:06:11 PM »

Because catdaddytn asked, I decided to photograph the cufflink-making process today as I made some more pairs.

Here's a shot of what I used (Please forgive the shank buttons. They're wonderful to use, but the rest of the photos show actual beads as the process is a little more involved.)

Various pliers and wire cutters, shank buttons (beads), toggles (from toggle clasp sets. I use the circle bits as parts of pendants), jump rings and eye pins.

The parts I used in the actual photos you will see...

Slipping the eye pin through the hole in the bead, bend the pin forward over the bead, making sure there is enough of the length that you can also bend the eye -up-

Bend the free end of the pin over the bead as well and pass it next to the part of the pin that has the eye and is now sticking up (shaft)...

Making sure the end isn't too long (you might have to cut it shorter) wrap the free end of the pin around the shaft of the pin...

In the eye, connect two or three jump rings, depending on their size, forming a short chain...

Add the toggle to the end of your chain, making sure all of the links are securely closed...

And there you have a cufflink.

Repeat the above steps for a pair Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged

roccstarr75
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009 04:10:43 PM »

That is so cool how easy-peasy that is...and that bead with the wire wrapped around it would look pretty as a matching pendant for "her".
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tmbrunschen
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009 11:37:08 PM »

That is so cool how easy-peasy that is...and that bead with the wire wrapped around it would look pretty as a matching pendant for "her".

Funny you should mention that. I did take the circle of one of the toggles to make his wife a matching necklace

Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ayanared

Mommy, Wife, Crafter

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009 10:17:14 PM »

Thanx for sharing!  And I love the matching jewelry!  So sweet. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

iolite88
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009 10:09:37 PM »

Love this, thanks for the tutorial! *Wisted*   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Ideals being sweeter than candy are just ideals"
     -- dead tree
catdaddytn
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009 07:30:50 AM »

thanks.  I thought you had used a toggle clasp.  How sweet and the matching necklace is adorable.  I think my hubby has one shirt that uses cuff links.  catdaddytn
THIS ROCKS   Logged

catdaddytn
catdaddytn
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010 09:30:18 AM »

I finally made some "trial" cuff links and they look sharp.  Even for a trial, my boo boo in the wrap part didn't even show when hooked in the shirt cuff.  I didn't have the tut info when I was working on my cuffs, so I was going from memory.  I used a piece of wire, instead of the eye pin.  I wrapped my bead, as if it were a briolette.  The first one I made I used part of the toggle clasp.  It was a little bit too long.  when I tried again, I was just going to "test" a sparkly bead or actually a group of 3 small beads.  for this test, i didn't even use a toggle.

To my surprise, I had some extra wire when I tried this out and just bent them around the button hole.  wah lah - it was an instant toggle.  I turned the ends into a swirly and this will work. 

I need to go for the real thing now.  My trials used an oval black agate bead and the other one, sparkly black rondelles with a reddish rondelle.  I think this level of sparkle will be tolerable for my hubby.  He really liked the black agate.  I'm looking for some sparkle for our 25 th anniversary cruise in December.

I think this is a great idea for my brother, also.  I noticed he was wearing cuff links, recently.  What I hope to do is get a bit better with this project and use part of a family heirloom necklace that broke.

thanks for much for posting the tut.  your photos are superb!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

catdaddytn
tmbrunschen
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010 09:42:00 AM »

thanks for much for posting the tut.  your photos are superb!

You're most welcome!

Please do post pictures of your final pieces! (and of your not final pieces, I love seeing what others make! Wink )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Robotragicomedy
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010 03:38:16 PM »

I never really knew what to do with those straight pins before. O: I see a present for boyfriend in the future.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I go to seek a Great Perhaps.

preg_replace('/(.{19})/', '$1 ', 'whatintheworld.etsy.com')
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Mary and Lou and Rhoda and Ted by Jennifer Armstrong
Grand Ambition by Bruce Knecht
The Chalice by Nancy Bilyeau Trailer
Educator Erica Brown on How to Die Better
The Chalice by Nancy Bilyeau
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...