A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 299,181
Currently Running With Scissors:
756 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Go Camino!!!  (Read 698 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

munchkinarooo
« on: May 14, 2009 10:54:09 AM »

So, last year me and 8 more of my friends went on a pilgrimage called the Camino de Santiago, in the north of Spain. I'll explain what it is a little, just so you know (maybe you'll want to do it!) it's been around for centuries, back to the middle ages and before, so there are lots of different routes that you can take, the most known being the french route (we did the Portuguese one), and all of them end at the aame place, the cathedral in santiago de Compostela. So, when you start, you can (if you want) get what is called a Credencial del Peregrino, that basically means the pilgrims passport, that acts as proof that you walked 100 km at least (we did a 107) or you can also bike ride or go by horse, but then i think it has to be 200km. Ok, so how the pilgrims passport works is: every day you have to walk, you are not allowed to stay in the same town for 2 nights in a row, so every day you need to have at least one stamp, but you can have as many as you want, your credencial can get stamped at the local church, a local business or the hostels where you stay the night. When you get to santiago you can apply for your compostela, thats like a diploma that proves that you did the Camino.

This is pretty famous in spain, so 9 of us got together, my mom, my sister, my best friend, a friend of ours, my moms friend and her daughter, the cousin of the daughter and a friend of the daughter (i'm sure you didn't need to know all that, but i felt like writing it Tongue) and we set off to walk 107km, its said so easily, but trust me it's hard.

Unfortunately i only thought of making shirts for the team after we had walked, but i gave one to each person in our group, so if we ever go again, i'll make more (i made them practically a year ago, but better late than never)

so here you have them!!
front:

oh, i forgot to explain, that shell symbol is the typical symbol you have to follow, there are markers all along the way with that symbol on them that show you what direction you have to go. we would joke around cuz everytime one of us saw it we would yell THE SIGN!!!! so, ya...

heres the back of the shirt with all our names on it:

action shot

and a bonus group shot once we got to santiago (you have now idea how ecstatic we were!!!)

I hope you liked it!! Wink
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009 11:17:49 AM by munchkinarooo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

A friend of mine that we met in Len whos father was older than him that and had a washing machine that a guy had to fix, that guys second couisn that had a sister in law that had a grandmother that had a maid that had a friend that sold tofu. Well a neighbour of hers has what you lent me.
Super-Ted_Cullen!

Teenager by day and, well, teenager by night too

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009 12:37:21 PM »

That sounds like an amazing experience to have. I may look into it for the future
I love the shell shape. It's really cute. And I know this might sound silly, but those are all really beautiful names as well.

Did you paint or stencil on the writing? Or did you use some other method that I can't think of?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p306/Sofabedtry/EmmettCullenSiggy.jpg
Emmett McCarty Cullen; better than Superman
------------------------------------------
Will do personal swaps!
munchkinarooo
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009 01:04:02 PM »

thanks! it was, truly amazing, you really hate whoever gave you the idea while you are walking, but it is sooo worth it once you get to the cathedral.

Lol, thanks about the names!

I stenciled the writing as well, i wish i knew another way to do it thats not iron on transfers (they end up peeling in my experience) but, i cut out the stencil, which was pretty hard and finger killing, but i love the way it came out
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A friend of mine that we met in Len whos father was older than him that and had a washing machine that a guy had to fix, that guys second couisn that had a sister in law that had a grandmother that had a maid that had a friend that sold tofu. Well a neighbour of hers has what you lent me.
Super-Ted_Cullen!

Teenager by day and, well, teenager by night too

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009 01:25:57 PM »

They look really professional! And I know what you mean about the transfers. Mine always seem to peel eventually, although they do work for quite a long time. You could try using fabric pens. I recently used some to trace a Superman logo onto a shirt and they seem to work quite well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p306/Sofabedtry/EmmettCullenSiggy.jpg
Emmett McCarty Cullen; better than Superman
------------------------------------------
Will do personal swaps!
munchkinarooo
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009 02:13:48 PM »

thats a good idea! i don't know where i could buy fabric pens here, but i'm sure that if i look a bit i could figure something out
THIS ROCKS   Logged

renee2005
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009 04:12:10 PM »

I absolutely love your shirt and now want to walk the Camino de Satiago.  My husband and I plan to do it next year for our anniversary!!  Smiley 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Trimming the Clay Cylinder
Throwing the Clay
Preparing the Clay for Throwing
How to Throw Clay on a Pottery Wheel
How to Make a Dancing Wire Figure - Part 1
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...