A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,183
Currently Running With Scissors:
379 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help! "masculine mom" (Mom's partner) is graduating law school - What to give?  (Read 694 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rockon
« on: May 13, 2009 06:31:11 PM »

This is long.  Sorry.  Okay, so I come from a very non-traditional family.  My mother is a lesbian, and has been with her partner, my "masculine mom," (MM) since I was about 14 (over half my life).  (My dad is a card carrying republican who is on wife number 3 but we'll save him for another day). 

Info on my MM: She has worked in human services, engineering, as a call center manager, and as a woodworker before deciding to go into law.  She is amazingly intelligent, and is graduating something like third in her class.  She loves my mom, her three dogs -- 2 havanese and a Sheppard mix, football (esp. Virginia Tech football), bike riding, cooking, and Barbara Streisand.  She had a dog for years, a Rottweiler named Kylee, who died a couple years ago.  My MM LOVED that dog; Kylee is an inspiration for her and she thanks Kylee in the paper she had published in Law Review.  She is going to be working as a tax attorney in a big firm, and will go straight from school to bar review classes.  She is notoriously difficult to shop or craft for -- she is NOT one for quotes, motivational stuff, etc.  She is the farthest thing from sentimental and does not appreciate "tokeny" stuff.  She is also moving into an apartment in DC (my mom might have to stay here in VT at her job, but might go with) so the more she has the harder things will be in that move.  She has every kitchen gadget known to mankind and is picky about her recipes.  She is very butch and I would probably get laughed out of town if I gave her anything remotely girly. 

I want to give her something meaningful and I am hoping to make it (though brain freeze has me close to G-Day (like three or four days).  I have one very underdeveloped idea when I was in 10th grade she helped me make this extra credit project for geometry.  It was a HUGE Moravian Star that we made from poster board, spray painted and covered in mathematical symbols.  I started it the night before it was due and we ended up staying up until 4 in the morning, despite my moms furious protests.  It is a sentimental memory for both of us.  I thought I could do something Moravian-star related but I have no idea what.  I also have limited funds. 

I might be screwed.  Then again, some of you brilliant craftsters might have wonderful ideas . . . I am hoping for the later.  I appreciate all suggestions!  Thanks for your time!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dogswife
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009 05:18:14 AM »

Does she have a laptop? Maybe you could make her a messanger bag to carry it in. You could then embroider or applique or draw the star on that?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Live well, laugh often, love much
BoxOfRocks
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009 09:39:48 PM »

I like the idea of incorporating the Moravian star into a laptop bag.

Could you perhaps create one and put it in a shadow box of frame it?  I'm not sure if that falls in the token category, but it might be a nice item to decorate that new apartment.

How about quilting, knitting, or crocheting something with the star?  Could be incorporated into practical items like potholders, blankets, oven mitts, etc.

Sectioned, decoupaged box with the star that holds odds and ends?  Also practical.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009 09:42:37 PM by BoxOfRocks » THIS ROCKS   Logged
rockon
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009 12:21:54 PM »

Thanks to both of you -- I like the ideas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Accessorize Your Big Chop
5 Lessons Sherri Shepherd Has Learned From Wearing Wigs
How to Get the Ombre Look Without Coloring Your Hair
How to Easily Switch Your Hair from Day to Night
Lisa Price on Using Items From Her Kitchen for Hair Care
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...