A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,605
Currently Running With Scissors:
577 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 25
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tutorial: iBook / Backpack / Boombox / Rabbit (Pics fixed - 1/11)  (Read 123983 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

couturekitten

I pity the fool!

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 21, 2005 10:21:54 AM »

Holy shit, you are a god!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
theo not thea
« Reply #131 on: April 21, 2005 11:09:50 AM »

We have found our god !
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cereallad
« Reply #132 on: April 22, 2005 05:49:55 AM »

We have found our god !

Oh, I'm no god... I'm just a guy who likes to get a little crazy with a glue gun. I'm sure there are tons of guys just like me out there, they just haven't found this wonderful site yet.

One question...does this start to hurt against your body if you carry it for a while?  I'm not explaining my question well, but what I mean is because it's made of hard plastic, and not soft & padded like a regular bag or pack, does it swing against you and hurt, if you're walking while carrying it?

Okay, I lied.  Grin  I have two more questions.
This amplifier thing...could you take it out of an old stereo (the kind with separate speakers)?  Or the stereo speakers?
And you mentioned that the magnets in the speakers could mess up the laptop...have you had any problems with this, or was the layer of padding enough to keep it safe?

First Question: It doesn't really swing against me and hurt while I carry it. This might be because the belt I used for the bag is kinda short, and it keeps the box pretty flush with my back/side/backside. However, I could see the boombox "flapping" and hitting me if I were to, say, run, dodge, leap, or tumble. In these cases, I would just shift the box to my side so I could stabilize it with my arm.

If you are worried about support, you could also consider making two straps for your boombox. That way, it would be supported vertically on your back like a regular backpack...

Second Question: All stereos have amplifiers that you could use for this project. If you are electronically-inclined, I'm sure you could even use the amplifier in the boombox you use for the project. Here are my problems with that: 1) I'm not that electronically-inclined. You will need to rewire the amplifier so it can plug into a headphone jack. I'm sure you can pick up a simple electronics book and find out what the amplifier looks like and how to make it work, but I didn't have the time. 2) The amplifiers need power, and if you took the amplifier from another stereo, it would need to be powered by some power source (usually a bunch of heavy D cell batteries). You could probably rewire the amplifier/power source so it used smaller and less batteries, but that would take me back to problem 1.

I used my amplifier because it was simple and small, but don't let my complaints stop you from using a regular amplifier. I'm sure that if you do, you will end up with a boombox backpack that is much more solid and impressive than my own.

Third Question: From what I understand, magnets can really screw up computers, hard drives, and personal relationships. I want to emphasize this because I would hate for someone's computer to be ruined by attempting this project. If you are afraid, consider making a backpack for everything but your laptop. No padding would be required in that case, and you could store a lot more stuff.

For me, however, I have had no problems with the magnets and my laptop. In the beginning, I would make sure to take my laptop out at night, just in case... but recently I've become lazy or I'll forget, and leave the laptop in overnight. Still no problems. If my computer dies one day because of the magnets, I'll immediately post a heart-wrenching warning here on Craftster (from some library computer).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amelie
« Reply #133 on: April 23, 2005 07:34:58 AM »

Not to rip off what the other craftsters have said, but wow, wow, wow. By the way, the pow biff wham's were an excellent touch! And iBook's rule, I am using the same on you are showing in your pics, it is my hero (too bad my "L" key has fallen off...)

Anyway, rock on, literally.  Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Everyone has talent. What is rare is the courage to follow that talent to the dark places where it leads." ~Erica Jong
durroch
« Reply #134 on: April 23, 2005 09:37:10 AM »

Well, love the idea, right off. Not an uncommon sentiment though!

Lol.

Dad had a pile of junk ready for swap meet, and I found a radio. Which is now on my workbench, disemboweled and ready for finishing touches.

Though, I went ahead and made my own modifications, using a braided power cord for a strap and leaving the battery case intact as a sort of exterior "pocket" for little things that would get lost in the body of the radio (chapstick, ect). Hinges are shiny stainless steel (also swapmeet sacrifice). I don't quite yet know what to do for a clasp,but I'll figure something out. While I do not yet have an amp, I'm leaving the cords on the speaker intact and have a headphone jack ready and waiting for treatment.

Good job and thanks for the inspiration!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bloody rotten apples. I can't eat these bloody rotten apples!
justadeadlydream
« Reply #135 on: April 23, 2005 03:28:07 PM »

That is the most amazing thing I've ever seen. I don't think I'll be able to make one though. This may be weird, but uhmm, how much would it cost to have you make me a purse one? I would completly pay for that. If you're up for it, e-mail me at justadeadlydream@yahoo.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Micheline
« Reply #136 on: April 23, 2005 05:06:36 PM »

whoa.

isn't it a little stiff to carry around?

still, you must get lots of comments.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

In the beginning, the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
aubrey

keep calm and carry a wand

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: April 23, 2005 06:19:38 PM »

wow! how absolutely adorable. i'd probably kill myself with all those scary wires though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

winterweight
« Reply #138 on: April 24, 2005 07:36:36 PM »

you should mass produce these, if you would like, i can round up a warehouse of small children to start gutting ghettoblasters by the truck load.  soon you will be gutting all kinds of things and placing other things inside of it.  today on HGTV i saw a show about the pumpkin regatta.  you could make a bag out of a pumpkin even, they were sailing in them, it was a race.  let's see what else can be hollowed out?   hmmmm...

maybe you can gut out an OLD laptop, and put a fancy new ibook in it's shell.  i'm not making fun.  i'm being completely serious.  i really like this bag and would like to see it in person sometime, then i can vouch to all other craftsters that you and your bag really are the truth.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cereallad
« Reply #139 on: April 25, 2005 12:17:41 PM »

Dad had a pile of junk ready for swap meet, and I found a radio. Which is now on my workbench, disemboweled and ready for finishing touches.

Though, I went ahead and made my own modifications, using a braided power cord for a strap and leaving the battery case intact as a sort of exterior "pocket" for little things that would get lost in the body of the radio (chapstick, ect). Hinges are shiny stainless steel (also swapmeet sacrifice). I don't quite yet know what to do for a clasp,but I'll figure something out. While I do not yet have an amp, I'm leaving the cords on the speaker intact and have a headphone jack ready and waiting for treatment.

Great! I'd love to see pictures when you finish!

wow! how absolutely adorable. i'd probably kill myself with all those scary wires though.

It's funny you should say that, because that's exactly how I feel about so many other projects on craftster. Recently, my classes have been hectic, but I will have a lot of free time in a couple weeks. Therefore, I am willing to construct these boombox backpacks for sale.

I'm not sure on the price yet, but it will depend on how quickly I can find and construct them.

This boombox backpack took me several weeks to construct because it was a lot of experimentation and I was unfamiliar with what I was going to find. With my gained experience, I should be able to produce them much faster.

Don't let this stop you from making your own! I can still answer questions and help you with your own projects, if needed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 25 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Must See Winter Fashion Trends
Invest in a Cold-Weather Vest Right Now
Fashion Expert Marcy Guevara Gives Us Style Tips For Plus Sized Women
Taylor Swift Rocks Out in Red on NYE
The Top Trends to Wear in 2013
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...