A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 301,542
Currently Running With Scissors:
479 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pavi Largo's Greatest Face (in progress)  (Read 8258 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

acidtrix
hell yeah

To the Bat Tank!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: May 13, 2009 01:27:18 PM »

Dear boyfriend will be dressing as Pavi Largo at this Fridayís midnight showing of Repo! The Genetic Opera, which presented a really interesting crafty challenge for me. Paviís distinguishing characteristic is his obsession with women, and more specifically, stealing their faces and wearing them. Iíve wanted to try my hand at mask making and prosthetics for a while now, and I thought it would be fun to make a mask of my own face for him to wear.

A lot of research went into figuring out the best process. I also wanted to keep this within a certain budget so I opted to do this with whatever materials I could find locally (though honestly, I may have gotten a better product for the same budget if Iíd ordered specific mask making supplies onlineÖ you knowÖ if Iíd planned ahead and all). The initial plan was to do an alginate mold of my face, apply plaster bandages to support the alginate, do a plaster positive from that, and finally a negative mold (also in plaster) to pour the latex into. This plan failed, badly, because we couldnít seem to mix the alginate correctly and it set up too quickly. Eventually we abandoned the alginate plan and went the simpler route of doing a plaster bandage mold of my face.

I applied generous amounts of Vaseline to my hairline, eyebrows and eyelashes, but it just wasnít enough. I canít stress enough how important it is to use lots of Vaseline. Cover every bit of hair. Then add more for good measure. Some of my books suggest using a bald cap when doing face casts and thatís actually a very intelligent idea - I know Iíll be doing that in the futureÖ

This is the inside of the plaster bandage mold of my face (complete with my poor eyelashes). Its freaky looking - it looks like youíre looking at a positive, not a negative which is what it actually is. You can see one of the eyes didnít cast right but that doesnít matter since I will cut eye holes into the mask. I mixed up some plaster and, with a small paintbrush, I filled in any cracks or spaces left by bubbles so that there would be a smoother surface for the latex. I also touched up anywhere the bandage gauze showed through with a light coat of plaster. I used a little bit of Sculpey to plug up the nostrils, and was ready to pour.

I set up a little stand to hold the mold level, then filled it full with liquid latex and let it sit for about 20min. During this time, a skin forms where the latex is in contact with the plaster mold. After the time was up, I poured the latex back into its container, which left behind a skin a little less than 1/8″ thick. Using a pin, I popped any visible bubbles in the latex, then let it set for a few hours before peeling it out of the mold (in this photo, the latex mask is sitting on top of the plaster mold, so its a bit distorted). Trimming the mask was probably the biggest pain in the whole process. I tried xacto knives without success (the material was too springy), and finally did it with scissors, though its a bit rough.

Here is the stage the mask is at now. Its naked latex - I donít have any paints or inks specifically formulated for use on latex rubber, so Iím going to apply the mask to his face with spirit gum on the day of the event, and then apply real makeup to it. Iíve tested it on a piece trimmed from the mask and it seems to work very well, and will probably make it look even more like a stolen face than if Iíd painted it. I used more liquid latex to permanently adhere some false lashes to the mask. Iím dying to stick it on himÖ it is a little small, but I think thatís sort of the point. Once Iíve got it stretched on and well stuck down with spirit gum, Iíll use liquid latex on the border of his real face and make it up to look like burnt/scarred flesh. Iím also going to cut little clips out of metal and then use liquid latex to attach them to his face once the mask is in place.

I'll post some photos of the mask makeup'd up and in action after the show ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check me out at www.acidtrix.com
Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009 01:33:03 PM »

Wow. I need to see this in action. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."
melo.joyce
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009 01:57:44 PM »

That's pretty cool!
And I too want to see this in action!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rinkin
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009 01:58:27 PM »

I can't wait to see it on, that looks so cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
StyxAndStones
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009 02:03:18 PM »

That is badassed!  Your boyfriend is going to be the belle of the ball!

Who are YOU going as?

Take a camera-- maybe include some reaction shots of the many admirers he will no doubt have!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'm not concerned about all hell breaking loose, but that a part of hell will break loose... it'll be much harder to detect."--G. Carlin
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009 02:40:26 PM »

that is intense!!  Sorry to hear about your eyelashes though.   I can't wait to see the end results!  I'm sure it will be worth the loss of eyelashes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dragonflower
Ecraftic

YAY!

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009 02:44:56 PM »

I'm with everyone else- I can't wait to see this in action. It seems like it will be awesome!
Edited to say: Ouch! Eyelashes?!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009 02:45:43 PM by Dragonflywer » THIS ROCKS   Logged

In the end, only kindness matters.
lafemmedramatique
Lafemmedramatique

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009 03:08:03 PM »

We did face casting in my makeup class, but we used alginate, then covered it in plaster bandages... that's how we kept from ripping out eyelashes... If you ever do this again, I would find actual alginate... the stuff that we used was a blue powder that you add a little water to.

Either that, or I would try using some thin fabric or something similar over your eyes/eyebrows.. if you get it wet first, it should mold to your face to cover up the hair while still keeping the basic shape. Then you can gently sand the final mold to get rid of any edges before you make the final mask.

It turned out great, though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

timid_gothica

I will spray paint your face!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009 03:49:54 PM »

I absolutely love it! I was doing something like this for a photo shoot, but I ended up covering the plaster cast with polyurethane... I messed up. It's way cool to know that I can still use the inside as a negative and still come up with something before the photographer freaks out... lol.

I love repo! Your project turned out spectacularly well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat shit and die
- Hunter S. Thompson

my etsy!
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5779650
savage pixie

will sew for shoes

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009 04:43:35 PM »

i think this is fantastically creepy, as Pavi very well is. amazing job and like everyone else, i can't wait to see the final product.

i do have the same question as StyxAndStones  though - who are you going as?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.

my wist http://wists.com/savagepixie
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jane Costello Talks About Her Novels
Author Joe Monninger Talks About His Life
Writer Chris Eboch Explains Haunted
Personal Trainer Bob Greene Talks About His Book
Siddhartha Mukherjee on the Emperor of All Maladies
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: TVP Jerky
@Home This Weekend: Mirror Wall
January 21, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...