A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 299,128
Currently Running With Scissors:
429 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: pancakes in pajamas party for 2 year old  (Read 5782 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

chickenfeet
« on: May 13, 2009 01:21:35 PM »

I thought a pancake party would be cute for our daughter's birthday, but I'm a little stumped as to what we'll do besides eat.  We have cute pancake molds and a nebulous plan about seating, but I haven't gone beyond decorating and cooking.

Can anyone think of some good activities?  We don't need many; our tentative schedule is 10-12.  I wasn't planning anything outside, but it's an option.  Also, is eating first a good idea?  I thought it would be good to get it out of the way, but now I'm thinking that it will just lead to stomach aches and syrupy handprints on the walls.

Here are the invitations.  We're on day 5 of a nap boycott and my lack of time to work on these shows, but I think they turned out pretty well.  They get the 'pancake in pajamas' point across, anyway!

Any game/activity ideas are greatly appreciated!  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009 01:53:55 PM »

I love that the pajamas come off.

As for activities, it depends on the age groups involved.  Is it mainly toddlers and parents?  Cause in that case some visiting/free play time might be your best bet. 

Otherwise try and re-theme traditional games into pancake themed games.  You know like Pin the Butter (or bacon) on the Pancake, Hot Pancake (instead of hot potato), Musical cakes (instead of musical chairs), you could even have a bacon impersonation contest (I'm envisioning little kids wriggling around on the floor like bacon frying). 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
julieboolie

turtle, turtle!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009 01:56:24 PM »

those invites are SO CUTE.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield"

Wists | Pinterest | Ravelry
doyouloveanapple
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009 02:24:09 PM »

Very cute invitation.

Two games my mum always played at my birthday parties (and she still does with her Sparks- 5 year old Girl Guides) are-

1. Put one or a few WRAPPED candies inside a balloon. Blow up the balloon, but not all the way, and tie it off. Now give them to kids, toddlers, adults, anyone really, and watch them try to pop them. 2-6 year olds are the cutest because they don't have enough weight to really step on them. Always a good time.

2. Wrap a present in a small box. Then wrap that in another box, and wrap it in another box and another layer etc... until you are all the way up to a huge box. Along the way include surprises, candies and small gifts. Then everyone sits in a circle. The first person unwraps a layer, and passes the package to the next person, who unwraps a layer etc. The prize that is in your layer is yours to keep.

Hope that helps some!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

New items added to my Etsy!

doyouloveanapple.etsy.com
skaborsk

always procraftinating..............

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009 02:31:11 PM »

extremely cute cards! that sounds like a party i want to go to!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

please visit my etsy shop. i love it when people buy my crap!  
http://www.etsy.com/shop/cappywanna
myfairytalescomingtrue
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009 04:10:00 PM »

I am crazy for those invitations!  Too cute and original!!! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Store - Fantastic Fabrics at Discount Prices
http://www.JeLowe.etsy.com

My Blog
http://jelowe.blogspot.com/
Bakeneko
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009 08:03:55 PM »

Easy things to do would be 1)to have a bean bag toss in the shape of a pancakes  or 2)to decorate paper plate up as pancake people.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nikimac

28 and life to go

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009 01:08:40 PM »

I think a fun eating activity would be to have a pancake bar, where the kids can have a variety of toppings to choose from (fruit cocktail, whipped cream, syrup, strawberries, blueberries, peanut butter, apple sauce, chocolate syrup).  You can encourage them to make funny faces too.  If you're definitely starting at 10 a.m. then eating should indeed be the first thing on the list.  Just make sure they clean their hands well!  I think for a breakfast birthday party you could even start at 9 a.m. - especially since the parents don't have to get the kids dressed to go out.  Then by the time you're done eating, you can play a couple games (I loved the pin-the-butter-on-the-pancake and hot pancake suggestions; maybe also pancake-pancake-waffle instead of duck-duck-goose), then open presents, then have enough room left in their tummies for cupcakes or a pancake-shaped real cake.  And as everyone else already said, those are the darlingest invitations EVER.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love planning parties - come to me if you need any ideas!
chickenfeet
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009 08:24:09 AM »

Thank you for all your ideas and kind words!  We will definitely have a good time with these suggestions.  And I am totally making the parents join in for the bacon impersonating contest!  Hopefully we'll all get terribly full and worn out, and enjoy a nice nap after.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ewushka

Remember: Artistic is close to autistic.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010 06:36:54 AM »

Have you considdered a pancake-cake? Swedish pancakes are a lot thinner but the idea is pancake, icecream+jam, pancake, icream+jam until you get a pile hig as a cake. Very well liked among kids.

http://hagwall.com/food/pancakes.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others." (Groucho Marx)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jespersson
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Who Wore It Best: Michelle Obama or Rihanna?
5 Ways To Wear Prabal Gurung For Target Printed Top
Carbon Copy: Get NYFW Street Style Looks For Less
Street Chic: Chelsea, London Style
Star Style: Who Inspires Solange Knowles
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...