A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,700
Currently Running With Scissors:
653 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Robot Birthday (w/pics!)  (Read 2257 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Liberal Tie-Dyed Tree Hugger

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: May 17, 2010 12:40:25 PM »

My son turned one year old yesterday!  Shocked  As measured by staring time, he has expressed interest in three things: Barney, Elmo, and robots.  While my husband and I still have some control over which of those ideas actually manifest, we exerted it, and went with robots.  Turns out, Toy Story and Spongebob are the hot party themes and unless you plan WAY in advance and order online (not my style, apparently), robots are kind of obscure.  That's ok, though, because we are a crafty bunch...

Robot Pinata:

Action Shot:

Candy "Caddies" for collecting pinata candy:

Gift Bags:

And, the robot cake...I would like to preface the cake with a few words.  I really thought that this was going to be easy, no big deal.  It was far from it.  I left it til the morning of the party, I was so confident, haha.  A few trips to the store and lots of frosting later...the cake came out....alright.  Not so bad that I didn't even let it see the light of day.  One kid said "that cake looks like a robot!" when I brought it out, which is probably the best compliment I could have gotten.  I now have a deep and humble respect for all who make magic from food, especially desserts!  Here it is...please don't judge too harshly, haha.

Additionally, my husband and I both made our little guy robots -- I sewed mine (craft of choice, at least currently  Wink), and he welded/wired his.  I tried to get him to join and post for himself, and he's not totally opposed, so you might see a more detailed thread on the 2nd robot in the future.

Mine:

Hubby's:

Oh! And I made the little guy a shirt to wear to match all the robot-ness --

Not the best shot, sorry!  I tried and tried to get an action shot day of, this is the best I got (actually it obviously wasn't my shot, as I'm in the pic!)

Thanks for sharing the day with us!  C & C welcome...especiall y on the cake, I'm hoping to make a Rubik's cube one for hubby's b-day next month...wondering if I should cut my losses, or keep at it!

O yes (sorry keep forgetting things!)...since none of my ideas are original, here are some inspiration links --

pinata - http://www.aokcorral.com/projects/how2sept2006.htm
the robot that my cake wishes it was - http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4029/4330944403_a920c8331f.jpg
robot shirt - http://www.hippicks.com/blog/uploaded_images/robotT-737205.jpg
robot plushie - http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=342133.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged
arimethia
The likes of you

Look out, Portland. I'm so indie.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010 09:37:33 AM »

What an awesome party! It looks really fun! (And super creative, I may have to go with a robot themed party for my husband this year!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

de6w6it
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010 11:58:00 AM »

hi, this is "hubby"  Smiley  the kids loved evrything, and the lil guy had a great time.  the pictures, as it usually turns out, don't do most of these things justice.....abbie did a great job!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
clayman

Brush your teeth everyday

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010 12:46:41 PM »

That so rocks.  I love the robot with the lights.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
An Interview with Comic Book Artist Mike Allred
Interview With Veteran Comic Book Artist Herb Trimpe
Interview With Comic Book Illustrator Dale Eagelsham
How to Draw Davy Jones from Pirates of the Caribbean
How to Draw the Joker from Batman
Latest Blog Articles
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...