A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 298,763
Currently Running With Scissors:
502 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Stepped out of my comfort zone! Oriental brocade dress for NYLA! PICS!  (Read 5482 times)
Tags for this thread: chinese  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Nylaskye
« on: May 13, 2009 09:36:17 AM »

I can't remember what pattern number this is but I believe it's Simplicity.  Well anyways I had had the pattern for years and loved the picture on the envelope and vowed to make Nyla her own little China girl dress.  I shuddered at the idea of sewing brocade though.  Cotton is what I sew with most for children.  Lately though I've opened myself up to trying more fabrics and I must say I'm learning more skills!  It was also my first time sewing with piping.

The brocade is sort of a pain to work with.  It ravels a lot and gets wispies from the feed dogs.  It's a good idea to have a cigarette lighter near you when sewing with it so that you can singe the edges to prevent unravelling. It's also not a good fabric to make mistakes with.  The seam ripper is not a friend of brocade.

All in all I was pleased with the dress!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

AlexJ
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009 09:40:21 AM »

the dress is lovely and your daughter looks so cute in it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
roccstarr75
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009 09:45:53 AM »

I think this is so beautiful, but also I think the white tights are distracting.  Maybe no tights?  I don't know, I looked through all the pics, and I just kept seeing those darn white tights jumping out at me!!  Oh, don't listen to me, I'm just jealous!   Grin HAHAHAA!!!  Beautiful work, as always! And Miss Nyla is too cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
punkmandi
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009 09:47:29 AM »

This dress is beautiful.  And this girl is the luckiest girl in the world to have someone who loves her and makes such beautiful clothes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cherry_blossom55
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009 09:52:25 AM »

nothing could be cuter!! love the pose in the first pic, i'm guessing your daughter's a ham in front of a camera lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lorchick
Obsessive Compulsive

; p

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009 10:02:04 AM »

So adorable!!!! That's gorgeous, great job!
Keep her away from cats, though! lol. I had a gorgeous dress like that when I was in my tweens or something and I love kitties and... welll... keep her away from cats. lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have sixtybillion more ideas than actual completed projects. Blog stalker, fast talker, slow walker!
I am lorchick of ON{thelaundry}LINE blog.
Smell the flowers, kill the bugs, laugh at your mistakes, and hide the laundry! Cheesy
Nylaskye
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009 10:04:11 AM »

I think this is so beautiful, but also I think the white tights are distracting.  Maybe no tights?  I don't know, I looked through all the pics, and I just kept seeing those darn white tights jumping out at me!!  Oh, don't listen to me, I'm just jealous!   Grin HAHAHAA!!!  Beautiful work, as always! And Miss Nyla is too cute!

Funny you said that!  My sister said the same exact thing!   LOL!  Unfortunately though in Michigan it was still cold when she wore it in March.  I wish they made fleshtone stockings for girls!  The girl on the pattern envelope had on white tights too.  Black would have been too much as well.  I was stuck!  LOL

And for the person who said it.  Yes my daughter is a complete HAM for the camera.  It all has worked out cause she's my #1 model for my clothing!  
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sparrowowl
Tutorial Contributor

shiny!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009 10:05:02 AM »

This looks so pretty!  I love the puffed sleeves and the frog closure.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
merricat17
Strange Grounds

Strange Grounds Coffee, 1417 S Broadway, Denver CO

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009 10:27:29 AM »

this is too sweet!  It is perfect and yes your daughter is an adorable ham.  Have you tried tracing the pattern pieces in a thin line of fray-check before cutting it out?  i had such a hard time with brocade and thats what i finally settled on. (after melting it a bit much.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Strange Grounds Coffee
1417 South Broadway
Denver, CO 80210
lovesclutter
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Nothing is safe in its native form.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009 11:09:39 AM »

Another cutie patootie. I think that fabric and pattern is awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Making DVD Christmas Ornaments with Tanya Memme
Upcycled CD Disco Ball & Jewelry - Do It, Gurl
How to Beautifully Wrap a Bottle of Wine
How to Create a Fall Wreath in Under 30 Minutes
How to Make Homemade Bows
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...