A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,802
Currently Running With Scissors:
573 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hardcore Quilt Top  (Read 2097 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

chimes
the chimenator

the chimenator

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: May 12, 2009 06:39:38 PM »

Not sure if I can post this here or not since it's not a completed quilt. I have no idea how to do the quilting or who's going to do it, but I'm so excited that I pieced this thing together all by myself... first quilting project!

I have a whole bunch of t-shirts that I've collected over the years from bands that I'm no longer into. I finally decided they would be good to experiment with a trashed out piecey quilt top.

Since I was kind of embarrassed I ever listened to some of these bands, I thought it would be cool to deconstruct the shirts into smaller blocks. I used 10-inch, 5.5"x5.5", 10"x5.5", 2.75"x5" and 10"x 2.75" pieces. 

I painted some of the plain black squares and embroidered some of the other squares to give it more of a deconstructed look. I also made sure that there is no definite up or down side when you look at it.

Haven't decided what color thread to quilt it in..thinking red or electric blue or purple.  I'm going with a black back or charcoal grey back and a black or charcoal grey binding.

yeah. there's a limp bizkit shirt in there...I was in 9th grade, give me a break. Wink

also, I have a ridiculous amount of slipknot couture... haha. it happens when you live in Des Moines.

Suggestions are welcome!! Like I said, I have no clue where to take this thing or how to quilt it myself.

I have another set of blocks ready to piece together for another quilt like this when I feel ambitious.

Thanks for looking!  I love all the stuff all you crazy quilters post here and I don't know how anybody has THAT much patience. This thing took 14 hours...way too much time for my attention span!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

zowiewoahie

But it's my BIRTHDAY tomorrow!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009 06:52:01 PM »

This is super rad ( I too understand the realization, that you once listened to crap) My ex would totally love it! Especially if you threw in some Sepultura, Tool, and Metallica.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lets all go to Jack Taylor's to celebrate!
chimes
the chimenator

the chimenator

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009 06:54:03 PM »

lol, there's some tool and metallica in there Wink (although, I love those bands still)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyAggie
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009 07:22:30 PM »

This is super awesome! I have tons of t-shirts from high school that I know I wont every wear again, this would be a great idea. Thanks for the inspiration!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JennaDickes

Oh so tragically hip

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009 08:51:53 PM »

Get the Misfits out of there, they don't belong! (unless you're thinking of the new Danzig-less Misfits, then, by all means  Cheesy)
I'm a veteran of making stuff from old concert shirts since I don't really like to wear t-shirts. I never thought of a quilt though, really great idea. I vote for doing the stitching in grey.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rainylakechick
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009 08:53:23 AM »

I vote for gray stitching too.  I did gray free motion quilting on a bright colored floral quilt (with gray floral fabric on the back) and its a great color to use. 

p.s. Great quilt too...  Did you use fusible  stuff on the back or just sew the tshirt pieces together by themselves?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chimes
the chimenator

the chimenator

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009 09:09:47 AM »

I wish I would have fusible stuff on the back, but didn't realize that until AFTER I pieced. Do you think that will affect my quilting? Should I add fusible stuff on the back?? I'm quilt-arded.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rainylakechick
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009 11:26:51 AM »

I wish I would have fusible stuff on the back, but didn't realize that until AFTER I pieced. Do you think that will affect my quilting? Should I add fusible stuff on the back?? I'm quilt-arded.

hahahaha, well... it might make it difficult to quilt.  Who knows though!  I've never done a quilt with tshirt material.  Its in my to-do pile and I planned on putting fusible stuff on the tshirts before I cut the pieces.  You might be able to add it now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

whoopdedoo_5
I can resist anything...except temptation :P

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009 07:13:04 AM »

this is very you! now you must get it quilted! seriously...if you dont want to do it...then check out prices for quilters in your area...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sherry Lansing: Worthy of More
Sherry Lansing: The First Wives Club
Sherry Lansing: You Married Your First Boyfriend
Callie Khouri: Oscar-Winning Writer & Creator of "Nashville"
Callie Khouri: Being a Female Director
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...