A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,148
Currently Running With Scissors:
639 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Underbust corset for my best friend (with updated pics)  (Read 2175 times)
Tags for this thread: corset  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kellyhelene
I'd claim it was my magnetic personality, but really, that's just the steel.

you'll put your eye out

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: April 10, 2009 07:55:45 AM »

I replied to add some photos of the happy owner taking her corset out for a test run, scroll down. Smiley

My best friend has a thyroid condition, so over the last few years her weight has been VERY up and down.  Like 0 to 18 to 6.  She would sit with me when I was sewing and say how much she wanted to order a corset from me, but couldn't dare since the odds were her size would change again between when I got her measurements and when it was done.

Well, she's finally stabilized (woo!) and I got to make her first corset!

Pardon the not-faboo iphone pics and the travesty that is my library/dining/sewing room in the background.  She tried it on last night and I forgot to get pics, but I will have better ones tonight when it gets a chance to go out on the town. Smiley  I was just excited to have this done and wanted to share right away!

Unfortunately my dress form apparently dates to a time before humans had hips, so it doesn't sit quite right. But, you get the general idea.

This is triple layer, with the brocade outside, coutil inside, and a twill lining.  Bones between the coutil in twill using the "sandwich" method.  Spiral steels throughout, with flats at either side of the busk and grommets.

My tags!!  I JUST got these from another etsy seller- JennifersJewels.  I'm very happy with them.  They're printed, not woven, but seem very durable, quite soft, and are extremely clear.  Plus, she does small runs so I was able to order just 30 instead of the hundreds most places require.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009 10:05:45 AM by kellyhelene » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hadassah
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009 08:15:48 AM »

Fabulous! Looks great! That's so sweet of you to do for her!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Heresy

Dreaming of tools.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009 03:20:36 PM »

Your work is beautiful. I love the corset!

You have no idea how cool you are. I have Graves Disease, which is a thyroid problem, too. I haven't dared make anything that was fitted because I have fluctuated from size 14/16 to a 4 (which was really baggy), and back to a 10/12 ish. You are the best friend ever for doing this for your friend.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nellyphant
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009 02:58:47 AM »

What a great present.  The fabric is gorgeous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
psycho_happy_kitten
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009 02:48:35 PM »

I absolutely love it!
I'm planning on doing a Fashion Construction project for my club next year, and want to do a corset like this.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Warning: Attention Deficit Crafter.
kellyhelene

you'll put your eye out

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009 03:35:46 PM »

You have no idea how cool you are. I have Graves Disease, which is a thyroid problem, too.
That's what she has as well.  She's lucky that it's under control with medication finally, and she hasn't had to have her thyroid removed or destroyed with radiation.

The nice thing is we're in Western NY, which has one of the highest concentrations of thyroid disease in the US, so after living elsewhere and it going undiagnosed for years, her doc here spotted it right away. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Heresy

Dreaming of tools.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009 03:41:48 PM »

You have no idea how cool you are. I have Graves Disease, which is a thyroid problem, too.
That's what she has as well.  She's lucky that it's under control with medication finally, and she hasn't had to have her thyroid removed or destroyed with radiation.

The nice thing is we're in Western NY, which has one of the highest concentrations of thyroid disease in the US, so after living elsewhere and it going undiagnosed for years, her doc here spotted it right away. 

Very cool. I went two years without a diagnosis, and it drove me crazy. I'm glad she's on track, and getting healthy.

Once again, your work is incredibly nice. I love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kellyhelene

you'll put your eye out

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2009 10:04:21 AM »

I finally uploaded some proper photos of this corset on the new owner.

I'm so happy with how it turned out... and from the looks of it so is she Cheesy

We went to a goth night that evening... at about three am she ran over and screamed "my chest got me a free drink... THIS CORSET GOT ME A FREE DRINK!!"  So I guess I did my job. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graverobbergirl
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009 04:02:29 PM »

Looks great on her! You sure got it fitted nicely.  Smiley And I love the brocade (not sure I've met one I haven't, though).

Talk about a real corset! I haven't conjured the resources up to attempt that! Mine are just for playing dress-up, I guess  Undecided

Anyway, excellent work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Duct tape? That stuff's a rip-off! I make my own tape."-Joe Garrelli, Newsradio

My Etsy

Just Another Crafting Blog
IndigoCharm
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009 01:32:52 PM »

That's beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Your Hair Color Last
How to Style Shoulder Length Hair
How to Get Big Sexy Hair with Teasing
The Secret to Hiding Split Ends
The Bob: The Cut That Flatters Everyone
Latest Blog Articles
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete
Mmm, Bacon!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...